Firs Bike Question? (Read 457 times)
roshlio
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NY
Firs Bike Question?
05/06/08 at 13:01:07

Hi everybodySmiley it might be old and bit of dumb question for you all, but I am in confusion Undecided. Finally I got chance to get a bike and I don't know what is a good starting bike. I really intend to ride it a lot on highway for probably cruises to about 1000 miles or so. I like the Suzuki S40, but I am reading a lot of mixed reviews on it and how suitable save it is for highway cruising and also the backfiring situation and all adjustments to it. I mean i plan to buy a new one, does it mean that I have to repair a brand new bike and how good is it for long highway cruises. Another option is the Vulcan 500 (but bit more pricey). What do you think?

Thank you

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Firs Bike Question?
Reply #1 - 05/06/08 at 13:17:38

Have you gone to the dealership and simply sat on the two different bikes for 10 minutes each, reaching out for the grips and fingering the controls?

What did you learn?  Did you move the handlebars and put your feet on the foot pegs (one foot at a time, please -- falling over is embarrassing enough in when done in private)

Which bike feels better to you, and why?

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 05/06/08 at 13:19:37

Neither are very good for 1,000 mile highway road trips – no offence and all but you’re not either if this is your first bike – however you’d be far better off to get one of these bikes and spend a good many hours ridding secondary and back roads.

IP Logged
roshlio
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NY
Reply #3 - 05/06/08 at 13:32:42

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 05/06/08 at 13:17:38:
Have you gone to the dealership and simply sat on the two different bikes for 10 minutes each, reaching out for the grips and fingering the controls?

What did you learn?  Did you move the handlebars and put your feet on the foot pegs (one foot at a time, please -- falling over is embarrassing enough in when done in private)

Which bike feels better to you, and why?

Oldfeller

Thank you for your reply.
I have sat on the S40 and feels pretty comfortable as positioning my body, however I have not ridden one. As for the Vulcan I haven't had the chance to. What should I be looking for?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 05/06/08 at 14:36:27

As for bikes,  You may want to look at a Honda 750 V-twin. It's a nice first bike.  Enough power to move you fine, but not too big.  A friend has the Spirit model (VT750DC) and is fairly nice. It has taller gears for highway driving.  On the highway his will go better than my Savage.  But,  in town, it is a little slower.  We both would rather "work" on the LS650.  

One thing we should warn you about.  Highway driving means 60-70 mph winds hitting you for a good long time. (EVER STAND IN A HURRICANE OR TROPICAL STORM??) It can wear you out.   Make sure the bike you buy has a windshield.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
roshlio
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NY
Reply #5 - 05/06/08 at 14:43:58

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 05/06/08 at 14:36:27:
As for bikes,  You may want to look at a Honda 750 V-twin. It's a nice first bike.  ...... It can wear you out.   Make sure the bike you buy has a windshield.

What about the backfiring?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 05/06/08 at 14:49:45

Hmmmmm .....  I didn't notice his backfiring......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #7 - 05/06/08 at 18:45:46

backfiring is a simple tuning issue

simply put, the savage is a little small for the superslabs and one cylinder can only move up and down so fast...so top speed isnt the Savage's forte.  Have you looked at Intruder 800's?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
roshlio
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NY
Reply #8 - 05/06/08 at 19:14:44

Bobbert wrote on 05/06/08 at 18:45:46:
backfiring is a simple tuning issue

simply put, the savage is a little small for the superslabs and one cylinder can only move up and down so fast...so top speed isnt the Savage's forte.  Have you looked at Intruder 800's?

Not really, but I am trying not to spend too much (not that i dont want, but rather dont have) and bigger bikes are quite pricy...for first bike or I am wrong?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 05/06/08 at 20:22:51

For the money s40 is hard to beat,maybe you want like bikes some people get a bike and then quit riding never get another bike.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 05/06/08 at 21:21:15

i looked hard at the vulcan 500 when i bought my s40 06 in feb 06.. sat on the vulcan seemed ok put the kick stand down and loked close at the bike..noticed the chain was starting to show signs of rust as were the fork caps nuts ...went to the suzi dealer and bought the s40 sight unseen...never looked back.. Cheesy will be turnin 10k miles soon and have had no problems..  
issues..2
rear tire lasted lil over 5k
battery didnt make it thru second winter(my fault,lack of fluid)

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
roshlio
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NY
Reply #11 - 05/06/08 at 21:26:54

thumperclone wrote on 05/06/08 at 21:21:15:
i looked hard at the vulcan 500 when i bought my s40 06 in feb 06..

That is interestingSmiley thank you, cause most oficial reviews rate the vulcan higher,,,but yet ,,
How is the S40 performing for you on the highway? at what speed can you  cruise with it?

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #12 - 05/06/08 at 21:33:35

vulcan will blow the ls away if thats what you want   hgwy dont know how to compare  ive only been on 65mph 2/4 lanes does fine 130 miles round trip..backed down after 85 my ol butt aint got the hair it use to,,,,,,,,,

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #13 - 05/06/08 at 22:55:25

Some people just buy a used Savage(cheaper) to learn on and then move up to a bigger bike.(or decide they like it and keep it)

You could probably sell the Savage fairly easy or trade it in on a bigger bike.

Just a thought.

I took some time and sat on lots of bikes before buying my Savage....it helps in making the decision.I went from knowing very little to knowing more of what I wanted.

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #14 - 05/07/08 at 05:33:22

If this is your first bike, you're better off going with a used bike at less than 800cc.  Trust me, you're gonna lay it down.  It's gonna fall over and you're gonna scratch it up.  I think a used Savage is perfect for you to start with.  At the dealership they're gonna try to sell you the bigger bikes, duh.  If you're truly a newbie, then there's a good chance you're gonna hurt yourself on the bigger bikes.  Takes a while to get used to the balance and weight.  I'd have to agree with Reelthing, 1000 mile highway trips are just asking for trouble at this stage.

However, if we can't convince you otherwise.  Look at the Suzuki Boulevard C50T.  It's fully dressed (for highway trips), fuel-injected, liquid-cooled, and light for an 800cc bike.  Cost is pretty reasonable too for a new bike.

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 20:11:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Firs Bike Question?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.