My newest mods (Read 409 times)
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
My newest mods
05/02/08 at 15:40:05

So, Ive been doing some mods-

Here is my bike with a harley fistail and exhaust wrap, custom seat ziptied to the frame, relocated (and ziptied) turn signals, and 40mm grenade ammo boxes.

And here is my HD Nightrod seat:

It's attached in probably the worst way short of not at all- I used a washer, bolt, and nut to secure the back seat to the front, and the front seat is held to the frame using a small strip of metal screwed to the seat pan and then bent around the frame tubes.  The whole thing stays on with the clip and the friction between the rear seat and the ammo boxes.  Wink  The boxes are each held on using two 16mm bolts.  I chose that size for strength and because the turn signal holes are just about that size.

While I was outside Home Depot with my newly acquired screws, metal, and screwdrivers trying to get the seat down (I used rubber surgical tubing to hold it down for a day or two,) I had several interesting comments.  One of the guards taking a break outside was looking at my bike and I caught his gaze, he replied "I was just checking out your  ammo boxes, that's a great idea!"

I also had a gruff sounding guy ask me if I had been in the service.  I laughed and said nope, I just got them online and that they were durable and cheap.  As his wife dragged him away, he told me they would survive a nuclear war.  I also had some Australian guy just yell "Suzuki Savage, nice!" as he passed.  Tongue

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
NikoruWiriamu
YaBB Newbies

Auburndale, Florida
Re: My newest mods
Reply #1 - 05/04/08 at 10:22:05

Ahahah! I love the saddle...boxes! Those rock! Kudos.

NikoruWiriamu   IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #2 - 05/05/08 at 18:37:22

thats it?   Embarrassed

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
joebothehobo

Ride like a ghost.

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #3 - 05/06/08 at 00:04:19

I think its cool. I just wanna see it when you get the new bars on. And pics of the specific mechanics of your sig relocation (if its not the same as on the tech references), as well as your saddle box and V-Rod seat mounts (ghetto though they may be).

'91 Suzuki GS500E
'98 Subaru Outback.
Robertomoe is my bro.
  IP Logged
rpgpgmr

Huntington, WV
Reply #4 - 05/06/08 at 05:23:08

Yea, love the bags and the V-Rod seat.  Some pics of the seat mod would be great.  Been searching for a bigger, more comfortable seat.  Does the seat feel much better than stock?

2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40
2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #5 - 05/06/08 at 12:12:36

Another interesting variation for our beloved thumper! It definitely changes the lines on the bike! Has the seat  improved the ride? Have you had any adverse handling from the weight or height of the boxes? I'd be real interested in the way you modified the rear signals. Any pics?

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #6 - 05/06/08 at 13:16:21

Very cool idea...

My ammo boxes just hold my ammo. Smiley

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #7 - 05/06/08 at 16:55:17

the boxes dont seem to make much difference aside from all the rattling.

The ride is SO much better.  The seat forms a nice supportive cradle.  Only complaint is that its a little wide up front so my legs dig in a little when on the pegs and at stops.  The rear seat has won some praise.  It's wider than the fender but with the boxes on it's unnoticeable.  

The signals...well that's a two-dollar job.  I took the rubber parts off the signals first.  Then I took a section of rubber tubing, passed the wires from the signals through the tube, then pulled tight.  Then I ziptied the tube with the turn signals to the little bracket with the Suzuki logo on the sissybar.  Hook'ed em up.

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #8 - 05/08/08 at 12:36:09

Some photos of the mods:

Turn Signals:

Seat:

IP Logged
joebothehobo

Ride like a ghost.

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #9 - 05/09/08 at 01:43:22

Is that scratching up your frame at all to have it so loosely attached? and do you just yank to get it off? (the seat that is)

'91 Suzuki GS500E
'98 Subaru Outback.
Robertomoe is my bro.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 05/09/08 at 08:50:11

I think wrapping the muff with the tape is over doing it.

Seat  Smiley

Boxes  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley
other pic's show them canted a bit, I'd straighten 'em up.
rattling can be reduced with rubber washers on the mounts and the stick on door type bumpers on other rattley parts, perhaps magnets to hold latches in place.

WWW   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #11 - 05/09/08 at 14:07:14

verslagen1 wrote on 05/09/08 at 08:50:11:
I think wrapping the muff with the tape is over doing it.

What...don't you wrap your "fish" before you bake them??  Makes them more tender!   Wink

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 05/09/08 at 14:50:58

I perfer them al natural   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #13 - 05/11/08 at 11:26:06

well...I need to come up with a better way to mount my boxes.  The sides are getting pulled outwards and bent and on the way to store my bike with one of Joe's friends for the summer, the front bolt for the right box came off.  When I stopped and got off the bike, the box was just hanging down.  I was surprised that it didnt get rammed by the swingarm or pipe while traversing the Southern California potholes

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 05/11/08 at 13:27:41

While I was search for material for the adjuster extender, I found a lot of rectangular tubing that would be right for the job.  I think if you put a 1/2x1-1/2 bar across the top of both boxes from outside to outside, that should stabilize the top pretty good.  If you could move the boxes forward so that bar passes between the drivers and pillion seats, and then set the bar on top of the fender it would be plenty strong.  That and bolting it to the fender stiffeners should do the job.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:28:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My newest mods

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.