Send Topic Print
Look familiar?? (Read 678 times)
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Look familiar??
04/28/08 at 19:32:46

I've been listening for almost a year to many of y'all dudes talking about the half spacer mod.  "Blah blah half spacer blah blah blah half spacer...", etc.  I heard it so much that I started to dream it (plus the mixture screw behind the brass plug).  I finally started working on it, and see the picture above for what happened.  Surprised?  I think not.  I read that the screws are a common complaint.  Here are some of the not-so-comical things that happened which reminded me of my younger years, when things like this happened nearly every week.

1.  Stripped one carb cover screw with a screwdriver (Stanley that was a hair smaller and pointier than the required Phillips #2 from Craftsman).
2.  Stripped two other screws with what seemed like a better Phillips head attached to a ratchet.
3.  After removing one screw properly with a #2 Craftsman Phillips bought the next day, I got the other 3 off using needle Vise Grips.  That was after I had broken a brand-new screw extractor (tap) on the first try.  
4.  It then went well until somehow the needle spring got hung up on the tiny washer as I was trying to screw the needle cover plate back on.
5.  Unjamming that caused me to lose the tiny washer on the garage floor for 40 minutes.  I had bent the plate, so hammering that back flat again removed the infamous dimple.
6.  It started to go well again as I put the 4 new allen-head carb cover screws back on.  Then I noticed I had forgotten to put the slide spring back in.  Whee.
7.  I nearly screwed up the plastic screen on top of the petcork due to trying to put it in *after* I bolted the tank back down.

My backing out the mixture screw 2.5 turns was uneventful, thankfully.  I also replaced my petcork vacuum line with fresh fuel line, and I tightened up the rubber ducting on both sides of the carb.  It seemed plenty loose.

After all this trial and error, I'm happy with the result.  The bike seems smoother with some more guts, and I feel more confident at highway speeds.  I hope the MPG hasn't gone into the gutter now.  The backfiring is now more of a rumble, and that annoying bucking when you start to lug the engine isn't as pronounced.  I remember having a guy sort of laugh at me once as I did a buck-fest in a parking lot once in 1st gear.

My advice to those doing a spacer mod for the first time is to go slow and make sure you have a high-quality #2 Phillips at the least.  Hammer it into place before trying to turn any screws.  If that won't work, drill into the top of the screws some and use needle vise grips.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Look familiar??
Reply #1 - 04/29/08 at 07:21:41

you bet - wouldn't you like to feed those soft machine screws to what ever bean counter saved 10 cents

IP Logged
Chopped

Hurts Like hell when
you shoot yourself!

Stafford, VA
Reply #2 - 04/29/08 at 07:52:28

I think this post almost goes into the Moron Hall of Fame after you clearly read the other posts in regards to the topic, but great job none the less! Always fun tinkering!

"You are the choices you make in life..... I choose to Play Hard.... Ride Hard.... or Die Hard!"
Chopped BullChopped   IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #3 - 04/29/08 at 17:59:43

It wasn't my fault!  Well, some of it was.  I thought about putting it there, but I couldn't remember the thread name.  My problem is that I dive into things and refuse to take a break or eat, which compounds the klutziness.  I know what I'm doing, but I don't know when to break.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 04/29/08 at 18:05:06

ROTFLMAO, we all have done it Cheesy

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 04/29/08 at 20:21:19

J Mac wrote on 04/29/08 at 17:59:43:
It wasn't my fault!  Well, some of it was.  I thought about putting it there, but I couldn't remember the thread name.  My problem is that I dive into things and refuse to take a break or eat, which compounds the klutziness.  I know what I'm doing, but I don't know when to break.

I am the same way.  However, it reaches a point when I am going to screw up more stuff than I am going to fix.  I have reached a point, over the course of many years, when I realize that I am there.  I know at that point, no matter how much I want to press on, I have to stop.  If I don't, it will cost me more to fix what I am about to screw up than it would have in the first place.  This feeling is not infallible, but it is pretty accurate.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #6 - 04/30/08 at 20:26:52

Haha, very well put, steely.  I need to get more "in tune" with this feeling.  Today I replaced the brake pads (EBC red).  It's a much simpler job, hence I didn't have time to really screw anything up.

IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #7 - 05/01/08 at 15:20:41

Back in '89 I while in the shop I paid $18 for one Snap-On #2 phillips screw driver.  I still use it and when it wears out I get a free replacement.  The price about killed me at the time but I have to say now it was worth every penny!

A side comment but back about then someone once said the Japanese #2 screw head had different specs than an American #2 so many screw drivers didn't fit them well.  Don't know for sure.

Also another trick to keep a screwdriver  from camming out is to put some valve lapping compound in the head first.  The fine abrasive paste can provide just enough friction and bite to avoid frustration.

WWW   IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #8 - 05/01/08 at 17:02:35

I try to replace all my screws with hex bolts, but some just cant be replaced.
With Japanese MCs and cars, it's good to have a couple of JIS Cross Point screwdrivers.  In Japan they don't always use "Phillips" and will use the Japanese standard screws. The slots are wider, and the point is deeper that the Phillips. I've seen these as 1/4 inch bit snap ins for about $4 each in hobby shops (ouch), but they do fit right in there.

That stripping is a result of the American Phillips a) not seating b) having too much room to wriggle  around. We see and feel the driver seat in the screw, so we give the thing a turn - metal shavings - crap!

On the Savage, the screw holding the side covers in are phillips, but all the other ones I ran in to are JIS.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #9 - 05/02/08 at 00:29:17

I always thought the Japanese screws were Posidrive rather than Philips.  Posidrives actually give a significantly better surface contact and take a lot more torque without stripping.
In the UK your toolbox has to contain both because of the mix of metric and imperial tools required for our cars - though to be honest, everything new has been metric for a few years now.

Have to admit, though I really loathed the metric system to begin with. I've evolved over 20 years or so to preferring it for tools and tolerating it for other things, but I still prefer pounds, gallons and miles!  

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #10 - 05/02/08 at 00:35:20

KwakNut wrote on 05/02/08 at 00:29:17:
I always thought the Japanese screws were Posidrive rather than Philips.  Posidrives actually give a significantly better surface contact and take a lot more torque without stripping.
In the UK your toolbox has to contain both because of the mix of metric and imperial tools required for our cars - though to be honest, everything new has been metric for a few years now.

Have to admit, though I really loathed the metric system to begin with, I've evolved over 20 years or so to preferring it for tools and tolerating it for other things, but I still prefer pounds, gallons and miles!  

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #11 - 05/03/08 at 08:21:56

Yikes, I knew I was short on tools, but it looks like now I have to worry about JIS and Posidrive.  My life story includes a chapter on doing ill-advised jobs with the wrong tools.  I still don't have that air compressor and impact wrench.  The Metric system is great for tools and physics/chemistry/engineering, but I don't care for it in daily life.  I don't like to think about km/h or kilograms.  I was surprised a while ago to learn that the UK still uses both systems (English and Metric).  Well, English was yours to start with, and I'm glad the UK and Australia still seem to understand it.  I'm also glad the US haven't been pressured too much to change here for the sake of Europe/CA/MX.  It seems like there was a push in the 70s for us to change.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/03/08 at 10:17:57

KwakNut wrote on 05/02/08 at 00:29:17:

Have to admit, though I really loathed the metric system to begin with. I've evolved over 20 years or so to preferring it for tools and tolerating it for other things, but I still prefer pounds, gallons and miles!  

Whitworth made the finest screws, bolts, nuts and washers.  The rest of the world should have converted to it.

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #13 - 05/03/08 at 10:44:58

i used a cut off wheel to make slots into the screws so that i could remove them with a flat screwdriver. still using them.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
ALittlebird

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louisville, KY
Reply #14 - 05/03/08 at 12:36:09

For my 40th birthday my awesome Dad gave me the huge craftsman set of socket wrenches that included metric and american, different shaped driver bits, short and long extenders and various other things. While my sister thought it was the stupidest present ever I have thanked my Dad many times over for it.

The case weighs a ton but I can get to everything on the Savage I need to with those tools.

Just wish Dad was still around to see my on the bike. He always wanted  a BMW but never got one.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 14:16:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Look familiar??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.