Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Look familiar??
Reply #15 - 05/03/08 at 14:44:47

who knows - may be watching, so do him proud!

IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #16 - 05/03/08 at 17:35:24

Believe it or not, I have a brand new set of combination wrenches that are WHITWORTH!...cost me plenty.  I had a Morris Minor in New Zealand and needed the set.  I bought the set and then we moved and I sold the pickup...loved my little Morrie. Smiley Smiley

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #17 - 07/29/08 at 20:38:39

1st2know wrote on 05/01/08 at 17:02:35:
I try to replace all my screws with hex bolts, but some just cant be replaced.
With Japanese MCs and cars, it's good to have a couple of JIS Cross Point screwdrivers.  In Japan they don't always use "Phillips" and will use the Japanese standard screws. The slots are wider, and the point is deeper that the Phillips. I've seen these as 1/4 inch bit snap ins for about $4 each in hobby shops (ouch), but they do fit right in there.

That stripping is a result of the American Phillips a) not seating b) having too much room to wriggle  around. We see and feel the driver seat in the screw, so we give the thing a turn - metal shavings - crap!

On the Savage, the screw holding the side covers in are phillips, but all the other ones I ran in to are JIS.

Well said.  You can find JIS Phillips screwdrivers here (among other places):

Ames

More info on JIS Phillips screws (just look for "JIS" in the article):

Screws

The trick to differentiating a JIS Phillips screw from a "regular" Phillips screw is to look for a small dot embossed into the screw head to one side of the cross slot.  Ironically, the JIS standard arose as an attempt to prevent cam-out of Phillips screws.   Roll Eyes

IHTH someone!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #18 - 07/29/08 at 23:35:07

J Mac,
Reading your post made me laugh. It was as if you'd been looking over my shoulder recording me as I did my carb mod. As was said here earlier, "we've all been there!" Smoother sailing to you.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 07/30/08 at 00:05:00

The way I see it working goes like this. A tool maker goes to a screwmaker & says, "I'll pay for the tooling if you'll make a new threaded fastener head, shaped like "This" ( Holding up a model of some oddball shape no one has ever seen before). The Screwmaker builds millions of them, selling them to automakers & appliance manufacturers & people in all kinds of manufacturing. Soon, the people need to fix it & must buy the tools to turn the screws & again, we head to the store, in an endless parade, buying once more that tool to turn the ever more efficient screw head design. Efficient? Yes, Screw? Ohh yes, its a "Screw" allright, one more in a long line of them.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #20 - 07/30/08 at 04:25:36

Arthur wrote on 05/03/08 at 10:17:57:
KwakNut wrote on 05/02/08 at 00:29:17:
I always thought the Japanese screws were Posidrive rather than Philips.  Posidrives actually give a significantly better surface contact and take a lot more torque without stripping.
In the UK your toolbox has to contain both because of the mix of metric and imperial tools required for our cars - though to be honest, everything new has been metric for a few years now.

Have to admit, though I really loathed the metric system to begin with. I've evolved over 20 years or so to preferring it for tools and tolerating it for other things, but I still prefer pounds, gallons and miles!  

Whitworth made the finest screws, bolts, nuts and washers.  The rest of the world should have converted to it.

Hey Gort...I have a brand new set of Whitworth combination wrenches and a set of used sockets....I got them to work on a Morris Minor Pickup I owned....beautiful stuff, really.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 07/30/08 at 07:01:53

Maybe I have a JIS or 2, or maybe a Reed & Prince, but I call all of the screwdrivers that arent straight, Phillips. I had no idea JIS existed, still dont "Get what Reed & prince is & how to know when I need a screwdriver for any of the aforementioned oddballs.
How do I identify JIS screwdrivers to know I am fitting the JIS screw, that I KNOW is JIS, because of some dot they hid on it somewhere that I dont remember ever seeing. I need to know, cuz I booger screw heads up plenty. I can feel the bit isnt Just Right, but, I have had no idea there were so many types of Cross Head screws.
Whats a Posidrive & how do I know its a posi & how do I know I have a posi driver? Same for all of them,,

The smart head ( IMO) would be one that cams out tightening & wont cam out loosening & UH Huhh, I could build it.. Oughta be easy enough.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #22 - 08/04/08 at 22:51:12

Thanks, Jay, things have been pretty smooth as of late.  I keep losing things in the frame of the bike, but that's life.  The other day the top of the petcock screen popped off in the tank.  I got it out.  Hey, are the screws on the back of the petcock JIS?  They seemed like it.  You seemed to be able to use flathead OR Phillips in them.  Yeah, Phillips are GREAT.  The screwdriver never slips out until you strip the screw head.  Long live the Torx and Allen brothers.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 08/05/08 at 06:27:17

So, some screws have a dot, others are shaped a tiny bit diofferent, How am I to know what screwdriver I have in my hand? I have some cross tips that have a PH on them, some a P, is the P posigrip? PH Phillips? How do I make sure I have the right "phillips head" in the right screw head before I mess it up? I just poke one in & wiggle a bit, if it feels sloppy or if I can see the engle of the egdes of the driver tip are not going out to the end of the slots, then I hunt a different shape tip.

IP Logged
ratdog472

The Savages are
restless...

Springfield, MO
Reply #24 - 08/05/08 at 08:11:34

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/30/08 at 00:05:00:
The way I see it working goes like this. A tool maker goes to a screwmaker & says, "I'll pay for the tooling if you'll make a new threaded fastener head, shaped like "This" ( Holding up a model of some oddball shape no one has ever seen before). The Screwmaker builds millions of them, selling them to automakers & appliance manufacturers & people in all kinds of manufacturing. Soon, the people need to fix it & must buy the tools to turn the screws & again, we head to the store, in an endless parade, buying once more that tool to turn the ever more efficient screw head design. Efficient? Yes, Screw? Ohh yes, its a "Screw" allright, one more in a long line of them.

Torx bits anyone??   Or security torx?

ozark_bassist_1973   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 16:54:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Look familiar??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.