Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
motor slams and locks when shut down (Read 157 times)
proangler
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

motor slams and locks when shut down
04/28/08 at 12:20:27

I took my 87' ls650 motor out of the bike to do frame work. When I put the motor back in I hooked up the essential electrical (what I thought). I did however over ride the ignition and starter solenoid and started her up with a screw driver. She fires right up and runs pretty good, but when I idle it down to the point where it is going to stall, the motor slams on the last stroke and sounds very bad. It sounds like it just seized or one of the starter gears instantaniously locked up...very bad sound. I have started it 6 times and it made the sound every time. I took the starter side case off and found some metal chips. The gears on the starter, flywheel ect all look good though.

any ideas? Im about to give up.

IP Logged
Darren
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: motor slams and locks when shut down
Reply #1 - 04/28/08 at 13:20:13

Hi Proangler,

I am not an expert but I recently took my 88 motor out to do the camchain and ended up having to put a new starter clutch in too as I found stripped teeth on the large ring seated behind stator.

It appears that the earlier Savage motors are prone to backfiring if started on a weak battery, or under some circumstances when stopping the motor - the piston can kick back against the compression at TDC and slam the starter clutch backwards - the clutch won't permit backwards movement so the end result is broken teeth etc.

There are some very good threads within this forum and links to a German Savage Forum where this problem is discussed and fixes proposed - getting the valve lifter solenoid to actuate when you stop as well as start s one such fix.

However, first off all I'd get the electrics back together and start the bike in the usual manner having fully charged the battery - kill the ignition with the handlebar switch or key and see what happens. With luck you won't get any issues.

If you have found some metallic chips but the gear teeth look OK you may have shards of the bonding agent that Suzuki use when installing the stator. I got plenty of that from around the stator and the bolt that secures it to the crank when I pulled it off.

Try searching this forum for starter clutch and starter solenoid threads - there is a wealth of info to be found here.

I hope that helps a little

Daz

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 04/29/08 at 19:08:57

Newer engines have a torque relief intermediate gear.  Not sure if it's interchange-able.  

To check, look at the micro-fische's for the 86-89 and then look at the 96 & newer.  Check part numbers for cases , stator cover and maybe the starter clutch behind the flywheel.  Make sure you use one of the Micro F's that shows the replacement PN's.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/30/08 at 00:17:49

If my engine was going spastic on shutdown I would kill it in gear, flip the kill switch just as the clutch starts to engage. & use the clutch to control it. If it wears the clutch a bit, so what? Its an easy fix & it wont leave ya stranded, BUT if that thig breaks 50 miles from home because it backfired, then thats a whole nother matter/

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #4 - 04/30/08 at 16:14:15

It sounds similiar to what my 06 does at times.  I have heard that the newer ones do have something like what T-Mack said, (don't know if it is the same thing) and was told not to worry about it because it is normal.  My 06 does not do it all the time, maybe about 30% of the time.  Someone told me it has something to do with the engine shutting down on the "compression stroke".  For you experts out there, does this sound maybe close.   Huh  You guys are the experts, and I am just here to learn and enjoy the ride.
Sorry I can't help more, maybe some of the experts here can.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:26:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › motor slams and locks when shut down

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.