Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Leaking gas!! (Read 149 times)
saratovich

Leaking gas!!
04/13/08 at 13:41:25

Minnesota: 42°F, sun shining, new oil change and filter two weeks ago.

Went to the garage and adjusted the handle bars and mirrors, started the motorcycle up and rode it around the underground garage for about five minutes. Went upstairs and invited my wife for an afternoon ride. Good time to test the new full face helmet.

Got 1.5 miles to a stop light and it died just like two weeks ago (only that was 12 miles from home).

Finally got it started and continued about another mile, it was really running rough and I pulled into a park. It died.

My wife notice leaking on the ground, about 4" behind the carb . . . it was gas!

After a few attempts, I got the bike started again and kept the revs up, nursed it home where it promptly died at the garage entrance.

Pushed it into the garage and gas continued to drip for about 5 minutes then stopped.

Smelled HOT. Checked the oil level, and it was at the same as the pre-trip level. It sloshed very easily in the level window (water like), hopefully that's normal for the Rotella 5w-40?

Is it likely gas would have gotten in the crankcase? If so would my 3 mile return home jack up the engine?

Not feeling too good about this at the moment. As this will have to go into a shop for remedy.

« Last Edit: 04/13/08 at 19:13:57 by saratovich »  
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Minnesota Blues!!
Reply #1 - 04/13/08 at 14:16:48

Ok....  since the gas stopped , most likely the petcock is working.  

Probably your float /needle valve is got stuck.    That can happen when the bike sits.  

Before ripping everything apart,  try this.  Get some fuel treatment/carb cleaner, like STP or Seafoam.   Measure correct amount and add to your tank.  Then, drain the fuel out of the carb (small screw on bottom).   Carb holds lees then a tuna fish can worth of gas.    Close the drain,  turn the petcock to PRI for a few seconds .    Drain it again, as a just-in-case.   PRI again then go for a ride around the block.

If it still over flows, you'll need to inpect the inside of the carb (float, & needle valve).   If you don't have a spot to work on it,  it may be time to call a shop.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Leaking gas!!
Reply #2 - 04/13/08 at 20:25:54

check the drain screw in the bottom of the bowl..dont get 4" behind the carb???

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
saratovich

Reply #3 - 04/14/08 at 04:34:29

Where the carb is located, and where the gas is hitting the ground is about 4" . . .

Can I take the top of the carb off and dump carb cleaner in or does the carb need to come out of the bike to clean?

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #4 - 04/14/08 at 05:30:48

You might want to run a finger around the bottom edge of the gas tank near the seat, see if you find gas there.  Like water leaks in a house, the fluids have majical meanderings.  Gas tank leaks are not uncommon. Sad

IP Logged
NikoruWiriamu
YaBB Newbies

Auburndale, Florida
Reply #5 - 04/30/08 at 10:25:43

My bike is actually doing the same thing, but it won't even start up again, even after 4 days of sitting. I haven't tried doing what you guys mentioned though. I'll give it a try as well.

NikoruWiriamu   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/30/08 at 16:37:18

I try SO hard to not let that happen when I am in the car. Usually, tho, I am just forced to open a window, ORRR If I am feeling mischievous I just sneak it past quietly & wait for my wifes eyebrows to knit together & look at me, as if I had betrayed her. It's NOT the methane, it's the hydrogen sulfide that bleaches their eyebrows.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:23:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Leaking gas!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.