Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bike won't start!!! (Read 222 times)
NikoruWiriamu
YaBB Newbies

Auburndale, Florida
Bike won't start!!!
04/28/08 at 11:26:06

Omg, I don't know enough about bikes. Of course, my Savage has problems running a lot. If it's too cold, or wet, she wants to die. Well, I was riding home after work the other day, and since traffic was slow and she was having problems running, I decided to turn it off. When I tried to turn it back on, it wouldn't start! The engine wouldn't even crank.

I pulled over to a parking lot..or should I say, pushed over..and decided to run with the bike. It sorta came on, but died shortly afterwards. What's wrong?? Does it need a new spark plug? :'(

NikoruWiriamu   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Bike won't start!!!
Reply #1 - 04/28/08 at 11:33:40

So you were pushing the bike over and the lights came on?

Sounds like you got a loose plug.  There are several.  And you may have to take the tank off to get to them.

WWW   IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #2 - 04/28/08 at 11:38:19

what is your idle speed?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
NikoruWiriamu
YaBB Newbies

Auburndale, Florida
Reply #3 - 04/28/08 at 11:45:05

Well, when I turn the bike to "ON" the lights turn on, and that's fine.

I'm not sure about my idle speed. Sometimes I have to turn it up and down depending on how crappy she's running >.<

After getting it to run, I usually turn it back down. I have an aftermarket exhaust on it, the Supertrapp, and I had it jetted. The idiots at the shop I took it to said it would fix the problem with how it runs, and of course it didn't. It also leaks gas..and not just a few drops, but it leaks a LOT of gas when it starts to run rough.  Embarrassed

NikoruWiriamu
YaBB Newbies

Auburndale, Florida
Reply #4 - 04/29/08 at 12:23:57

I was just thinking..does anyone think it may be the starter??

I just hope it's not.

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/29/08 at 13:16:03

you... need... to... be... more... descriptive... you're... talking... to... a... bunch... of... men... who... don't... quite... speak... wimminish.

You said you got it to run then it died, so unless you push started it, the starter works.

Did you get a baffle for your supertrapp?

Did you look for any loose connections?

WWW   IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #6 - 04/29/08 at 13:47:42

ok......try this...put the fuel petcock to PRI.  Then start it.  It sounds like the petcock is leaking big time and making it run poorly.

If that seems to fix the problem, then you will either replace the petcock or make it a manual one like the one in the technical area. Smiley

Because I can!
  IP Logged
eanon

Thump-Thump-Thu mp

Austin, Texas
Reply #7 - 04/29/08 at 14:29:52

Leaking gas, huh?  Where's it leaking from???  Have you opened up the carb recently?  Maybe the guys at the shop didn't put it back together quite right.....  Start simple, though.  Check the gas line!

Red '97, cone filter, 150 main, 52.5 Pilot, half spacer, Screaming Eagle turnout, 17/43 chain drive, shield, de-badged, 4" forward control extensions. Gettin' there.
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 04/29/08 at 15:57:36

NikoruWiriamu wrote on 04/28/08 at 11:45:05:
The idiots at the shop I took it to said it would fix the problem with how it runs, and of course it didn't. It also leaks gas..and not just a few drops, but it leaks a LOT of gas when it starts to run rough.  Embarrassed

Hmmmm, that sounds like it could either be a faulty petcock or an improperly sealing needle and seat.  I have had the same problem on my '82 before.  One of the middle carbs liked to load up and dump fuel out the overflow tube.  Next time it starts running rough and leaking, try pulling over, shutting off the engine, and tapping the carb bowl with something hard (a screwdriver handle works a treat).  If you can immediately restart and not have the overflow problem, it means that there is some crap in the carb bowl and you need to clean it out and consider a filter between the tank and carb.

« Last Edit: 04/29/08 at 20:23:31 by steely »  

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Reply #9 - 04/29/08 at 16:11:23

I put a little filter inline between the tank and carb.  Man, there was a bit of cr@p coming through...glad I stopped it. Shocked

Because I can!
  IP Logged
NikoruWiriamu
YaBB Newbies

Auburndale, Florida
Reply #10 - 04/30/08 at 04:54:16

Shocked

Oh..mah..gawd...what?

Hah. Darn me for buying a used bike.

Let me try being a little more descriptive of what happened. I was riding my bike home after work, and it was running hard..meaning it kept wanting to die on me. What I usually do is rev to keep it running, as horrible as it might sound. Instead of revving so much, I decided to turn the bike off at a red light, since traffic was horrid. When I turned my key back on, the bike wouldn't even turn over when I pressed the start button.

My bike doesn't leak gas all the time, just during the times that it's running hard, such as that instance..and when it is cold outside.

Good grief. I don't even know what the petcock is. Embarrassed
My boyfriends dad knows a little about bikes, and he did mention something about possibly flooding the carbs.

Quote:
you... need... to... be... more... descriptive... you're... talking... to... a... bunch... of... men... who... don't... quite... speak... wimminish.

You said you got it to run then it died, so unless you push started it, the starter works.

Happy

Thanks verslagen1. Heh. When it did die, since it wouldn't start back up..or even turn over, my boyfriend and his dad push it fast enough to actually start it, but it didn't stay on for long. It died after a few seconds of being on.

NikoruWiriamu
YaBB Newbies

Auburndale, Florida
Reply #11 - 04/30/08 at 04:57:44

eanon wrote on 04/29/08 at 14:29:52:
Leaking gas, huh?  Where's it leaking from???  Have you opened up the carb recently?  Maybe the guys at the shop didn't put it back together quite right.....  Start simple, though.  Check the gas line!

I'm really not sure where the exact location is. I had a guy at a bike shop in Winter Haven, FL jet my carbs for my supertrapp. Since they had to rebuild my transmission, I figured it would be best to jet it. Man, if they messed up my bike..I'm going to be so angry.

Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 04/30/08 at 06:30:26

Need to figure out the gas leak now - depending on what is not correct - you can ruin the engine with gas in the oil and crankcase or do the Nicolas Cage ghost rider trick.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 04/30/08 at 08:38:38

All good suggestions - unless you told him it was leaking a lot of gas when it wouldn't start.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #14 - 04/30/08 at 08:43:58

NikoruWiriamu wrote on 04/28/08 at 11:45:05:
It also leaks gas..and not just a few drops, but it leaks a LOT of gas when it starts to run rough.  Embarrassed

Is the above statement ture? If so nothing else matters  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 04:24:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike won't start!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.