Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My most favoritst all-most new motorsickle... (Read 246 times)
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
My most favoritst all-most new motorsickle...
04/18/08 at 00:41:07

Worthy a couple thousands words:

According to the PO it had about 136 THOUSAND MILES on it! All on the original IRC tires! ! !

"But the battery was worn out and would no longer hold a charge."

So I took the Super Crank out of my 87 and took it with me just in case. This guy was a "mechanic" and had one of those big old 100 amp starter type battery chargers. I used it to start the bike and kept it running the whole 20 mile ride home on reserve!

The original 1999 model IRC tires have more weather cracking than the original 6.7k mile original IRC tires on my 1987 model; but the 99 model has way more tread on them.

Other than being afraid to run it up to speed in 4th or 5th gear for fear the tires will disintegrate... It seems to run out really good. In fact, what with the SuperTrapp exhaust installed, It already seems to have the most middle RPM pull of any of my Savages.

As it came with some of those gawd awful factory pullback bars on it, I had to throw some Z-Bars on it as soon as I got it home just to be able to control it. Having done that; a rear brake adjustment, and making the clutch release further out than 1/2" from the bars, the bike is totally ride-able.

The best part? I have 3 Savages now, each destined to be very different bikes; With boxes of parts gathering up for each build; and I'm still hundreds of dollars (and a bunch of left-overs) from having spent $4k yet!

Thumpers baaayybbeee!! the most smiles per $$$ that can be had with internal combustion!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: My most favoritst all-most new motorsickle...
Reply #1 - 04/18/08 at 01:21:00

How many Savages before you have a tribe?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #2 - 04/18/08 at 05:07:50

Nice, rockin-John. Super nice!

If I have my way, I'll be getting a Savage soon (for Mrs. Skrapiron) so my garage will look much like yours!

I do have a question for you.  On one of your bikes, it looks as if you have extended the front forks and increased the steering rake a bit (lengthening your overall wheel base).  Could I ask, how did you do that?

Congrats on your latest arrival....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #3 - 04/18/08 at 09:13:10

skrapiron -FSO wrote on 04/18/08 at 05:07:50:
Nice, rockin-John. Super nice!

I do have a question for you.  On one of your bikes, it looks as if you have extended the front forks and increased the steering rake a bit (lengthening your overall wheel base).  Could I ask, how did you do that?

Yeah, the 99 model that is shown at the bottom of each of my posts has four inch extended forks. There isn't any frame (rake) modification on that bike. At 35º the Savage doesn't need it for only 4" of fork stretch.

The cheapest/best way to get stretched fork legs for a Savage is through "Frank's Maintenence and Engineering" :

http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/

IP Logged
bsdnfraje

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/18/08 at 21:13:26

THATS MY BIKE!!! Except the dealer had the seats recovered and it only had 16k.  Isn't that black pearl paint a pregnant dog and a half?

IP Logged
Steve M

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/18/08 at 21:36:35

Nice collection Rockin John,

your 'aving us on withn the mileage though, that' 13 thousand 635 point 3 miles on that milometer!

Still impressive on one set of tyres though dude.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #6 - 04/18/08 at 22:35:11

Steve M wrote on 04/18/08 at 21:36:35:
Nice collection Rockin John,

your 'aving us on withn the mileage though, that' 13 thousand 635 point 3 miles on that milometer!

Still impressive on one set of tyres though dude.

Hey, that was the previous owner who claimed the odometer read "136k miles!"  I just didn't argue with him. But I did comment that the tires still had a lot of tread for the mileage shown on them... And they do have a lot of tread on them for 13.6k miles... But man the weather cracking is horrible.

The guy I bought the bike from had a very strange accent. Like Brazilian (Portuguese) or something. And he kept repeating "I don't know nothing about no motorcycles!"  Grin

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #7 - 04/18/08 at 22:42:53

bsdnfraje wrote on 04/18/08 at 21:13:26:
THATS MY BIKE!!! Except the dealer had the seats recovered and it only had 16k.  Isn't that black pearl paint a pregnant dog and a half?

BTW, the rider's seat that is on it now is the one with the cut down foam which came on the bike from Dallas that I bought through a guy from the marketplace on this site.

Both of my black Savages are actually black without the misty pearl crap in the paint (thank gawd) I hate that metal-flake stuff in colors that look better without it. Black being one of them.  Wink

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 04/19/08 at 07:14:55

Where did you find that one John?  That is a great looking bike!

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #9 - 04/19/08 at 15:35:19

steely wrote on 04/19/08 at 07:14:55:
Where did you find that one John?  That is a great looking bike!

Hey Steely, it came from a neighborhood out by "German Corner" if you know where that is. If not: It's out north of Owasso on Hwy 169 at about 116th street north.  

I was afraid when I met him at the convenience store out by his house; with a wallet full of cash; that it might be a setup for a hi-jack. I also worried that with his foreign accent that I'd get to his shack with 14 little kids running around and wouldn't have the heart to stick to my low-ball offer. Neither fear was in the least founded. He showed up at the store to lead me to his house in a late model SUV that was about as nice as mine. Then I followed him "home" to a house worth a couple of times what my old paid for shack is worth!

I gave him cash for about $400 less than dealer blue book trade-in value, and rode home smiling and with a clear conscience. (Considering that it needs at least a battery, tires, and fork seals I suspect; right up front. Whether I just got a good deal, or whether I came out like a bandit remains to be seen!)  Cheesy Cool

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #10 - 04/20/08 at 11:15:29

My forks seem a bit spongy to me. How do you firm the front forks up?

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 04/20/08 at 14:45:53

Rockin_John wrote on 04/19/08 at 15:35:19:
Hey Steely, it came from a neighborhood out by "German Corner" if you know where that is. If not: It's out north of Owasso on Hwy 169 at about 116th street north.

Cool!  My transmission guy lives just north of German corner.  Back when I was a kid, my favorite eating establishment was Big D's burgers.  My dad lives over behind the cemetery off of 76th street north.

How did you find it?  I have been watching craigslist lately, but have only seen one in the past few weeks.  I don't particularly have the money to purchase another right now, but you never know when you are going to run across a deal you can't refuse...

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 19:32:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My most favoritst all-most new motorsickle...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.