Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Idle mix question (Read 118 times)
bsdnfraje

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Idle mix question
04/18/08 at 21:05:56

Finally got a '99 vintage Ls650.  16,000 miles, supertrapp, 16mm travel on cam chain tensioner.

I did the white spacer mod to half thickness, then noticed the darned idle mix has been exposed and stripped.  I OCCASSIONALLY backfire when advancing gears, but the plug color is acceptable over a series of throttle chops.

I don't like the backfire though.  Any suggestions on removing and replacing the strip mixture screw?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Idle mix question
Reply #1 - 04/19/08 at 06:04:05

That could be a good bit of work - Sears carries a little 3 piece easyout set - drill bit on one easyout bit on the other - but before you head that way be very sure it's not cause by an air leak either at the head/header seal or the header/muffler - although it's pretty tough for the pipe to muffler connection to leak w/a trapp was they fit pretty tight.

IP Logged
bsdnfraje

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/19/08 at 07:20:44

Thanks, reelthing.  No, no leaks.  Checked that very thoroughly.  Like I said, the plug looks good, I just have to get stuff perfect and so knowing that adjuster is stripped plays havoc on my brain.  I can get the screw out with an easyout no problem.  My concern was replacement.  Anyone ever removed their idle mix screw and can give me dimensions?  This is my daily driver, so I'd like to have the new screw in hand before I pull the old one.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/19/08 at 07:24:25

By stripped do you mean the slot is all boogered up or do you mean the threads are shot and it won't hold an adjustment?

I hear there's more than one kind of jet.  And the old one is different.

WWW   IP Logged
JakeB

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

NE Ohio
Reply #4 - 04/19/08 at 16:51:25

bsdnfraje wrote on 04/19/08 at 07:20:44:
Thanks, reelthing.  No, no leaks.  Checked that very thoroughly.  Like I said, the plug looks good, I just have to get stuff perfect and so knowing that adjuster is stripped plays havoc on my brain.  I can get the screw out with an easyout no problem.  My concern was replacement.  Anyone ever removed their idle mix screw and can give me dimensions?  This is my daily driver, so I'd like to have the new screw in hand before I pull the old one.

The idle mixture screw isn't just a typical machine screw, it has a needle on the end. If you need a new one you have to buy one for that particular carb, either from the dealership, or online. You could take the screw out and cut a new slot in it, just make sure that the threads are clean with no burrs as the carb is aluminum and those threads will strip out easily.

IP Logged
bsdnfraje

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/19/08 at 21:17:56

Yeah, the head is stripped.  Can I get an idle mix screw?  Bikebandit doesn't show one, and since Suzuki went to the trouble of putting that plug over it, I assume they'll be no help...

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #6 - 04/19/08 at 21:21:46

Yes you can get a pilot air screw (that's what the stealership calls it) and it is only between 2 and 5 bucks.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 04/20/08 at 06:09:03

Here's a list of the parts for the assembly from crotchrocket - hey you can even buy a new brass plug to cover it back up if you want

41 .SCREW, PILOT (1,1/8)
13269-37400  1 $4.94

42 .SPRING
13268-47070  1 $2.19

43 .WASHER
13291-29900  1 $0.99

44 .O RING
13295-29900  1 $2.19

45 .PLUG
13281-05A00  1 $2.05

IP Logged
bsdnfraje

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/20/08 at 09:54:15

Awesome, I'll hit the stealership later this week then.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/01/24 at 15:37:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Idle mix question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.