Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fuel system issues?? Advice needed (Read 91 times)
ECUSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fuel system issues?? Advice needed
04/17/08 at 09:58:44

Howdy all, so I havent had a chance to really look at the bike, but earlier this week I crack it up and she idled just fine, but then once i get going the bike lurches/jerks like its trying it cut off and doesn't want to stay cranked.  The throttle seems to work fine, but I can smell gas more prominently now too (or it could be mind games).  Anywho my first impression is that its not getting gas for one reason or another.  

Anyone have any ideas off the cuff?  Again I have had a chance to really look at the bike, but its been bugging me all week at work.  Thanks in advance all!!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Fuel system issues?? Advice needed
Reply #1 - 04/17/08 at 10:37:55

Someone may have a hint with that input, but I would need more details. Fiddle with it & see what it will do under different circumstances, ride it, see if it stops, pull out the choke knob, see what it does, just goof with it & report the results.
Please dont crack it up, tho.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
nervekiler

ridin in the rain

vancouver, wa
Reply #2 - 04/17/08 at 10:40:58

switch the gas petcock over to the PRI area... this way it doesnt have to run off of the vacuum of the engine.

this woudl be my first step at troubleshooting.

if this seems to fix the problem. then make sure it has enough gas in the tank. the straight down position doesnt use the very bottom reserve of gas in the tank.. so if you look down and see it way down there it doesnt always mean you have enough to run in the vacuum/down position.
if it has enough gas theres a posibility the petcock is broken.

also,

have you ridden the bike enough to let it warm up? say 5 to ten minutes?

mine runs a little poopy until its completely warmed up. throttle response isnt the greatest and the bike does not like to hold a crusiing speed.. seems i have to give her more gas or lug it low in the rpms. this also has to do a little with the carb tuning which will be an ongoin challenge for me personally this spring.

im no expert but i would start with the petcock thing first to troubleshoot.
-frank

Frank T. Cartoys jantzen beach

97 savage 650 - HD pipes, carb spacer mod, idle screw adjusted, 152.5/55 jets, K&N air filter, big crank battery, chopped up a bit
WWW dirtbikehero mryummm   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 04/17/08 at 10:43:44

The main jet size could be too large or your float may need to be adjusted... It could be a lot of things.  Please read up on carb tuning and carb related stuff in the Tech Ref forum and, if you have more questions, come back to this forum and ask away.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
ECUSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/17/08 at 12:09:20

Thanks for the input, I know its a shot in the dark at the moment, but I appreciate the ideas on where to start.  I've never been an "engine" guy, but that is one of the reasons I liked the savage was that it isnt so complex that I cant take a stab at it and start learning!

IP Logged
Steve M

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/18/08 at 22:19:54

If it's idling then you got ignition so fuel is hot favourite.

check vacuum hose to carb, rubbers around carb are tight and not cracked.

Is the choke closing off properly?

Fuel line isn't kinked.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 19:18:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel system issues?? Advice needed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.