Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need help with carb adjusting   1986 Savage (Read 112 times)
stoner
YaBB Newbies

Need help with carb adjusting   1986 Savage
04/08/08 at 10:53:24

Need help with adjsuting the carb on my wives savage.  I have read thru the "Carb" topics and still need a little help.  After changing to an Iridium plug the backfiring on shut down is very bad (and loud).  I went to an Iridium plug as she was having a hard time starting and I must say this new plug does make a difference.  With the new plug it did backfire on shutdown, but is has since gotten louder when I did the spacer mod.  What I have done so far:  I replaced the white spacer with 2 washers (half the thickness of the white  spacer).  I first tried it on the Middle grove on the Jet needle (it has 3 grooves) and later switched it to the lower groove, both with the same results, loud backfiring on shutdown.  Afetr reading the forum, it mentions the the idle mixture screw.  I want to try playing with it, but first need to find it.  I can't find any pics pointing it out.  Question on where it is.  I see a small (about 1/8 to 1/4 in across) on the left side just behind and up a bit from the choke knob, is this it?  This is the only brass plug I can see.  I also have another question, on the right side, just above the E Clip that goes on the end of the Throttle shaft as it comes out the right side, I have a brass slotted screw.  When I took it out, it was a needle with a spring and smaller washer inside, is this the Idle mixture screw (maybe the previous owner drilled it out), when I tighten it all the way in, it only goes flush with the carb body and not inside (to hid a plug).  If it is not the idle mixture screw, what is it and where should it be set (I can't find it in the manual).  Thanks much.  This forum is great, has helped me in the past with many questions

Stoner

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Need help with carb adjusting   1986 Savage
Reply #1 - 04/08/08 at 11:21:41

I new you had an '86 cause your needle has slots.

Idle or pilot mixture screw, right hand side, the one you took out with needle.  Turn it all the way to seat it lightly as some have turned it tightly and it got stuck.  Then back it out 2 full turns.  Start the engine and warm it up using your most favorite method (mine is going down to river and back)  Check idle speed (choke off in case you forgot) a high idle speed will make it a little more difficult as the idle circuit may not be fully employed.  Turn the pilot mixture screw in untill the rpm's drop, turn it out until it picks up and drops again, turn it back to peak.  If you still bet KABOOM at shutoff, turn it out about 1/8 turn till it goes away.  I still get a very humorous delayed poof.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 04/08/08 at 12:10:34

Savage Greg posted this.  (many thanks Greg.....)

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 04/08/08 at 12:42:42

really shouldn't need to mess with the spacer in the '86 carb - it was not set crazy lean as the >95 were

might want to check for air leaks at the intake, or exhaust leaks at the head pipe and or muffler - is the exhaust stock?

IP Logged
stoner
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 04/08/08 at 14:01:24

Yes I am running the Stock muffler.  I will check the header for leaks.  Will also reset the ide mixture screw as I now know where it is now (it is now all the way in). and if need be put back in the spacer and see what all that does. Thanks for the help guys

IP Logged
stoner
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 04/19/08 at 09:01:21

Sorry took so long to reply, but had a family emergency and had to leave town.  Put back in the white spacer and adjusted the mixure, just get a little pop on shut down.  for the folks that replied, thanks guys for all the help

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 19:32:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need help with carb adjusting   1986 Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.