Send Topic Print
Pushrod Conversion (Read 218 times)
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Pushrod Conversion
04/11/08 at 16:07:29

OK, just kidding.  But does anyone else wish our bike had pushrod valve actuation instead of OHC with the attendant cam-chain worries?  The rpm limit of a big single is well served by push rod valve actuation so I don't see why not.  Besides, I loved the look of the chrome pushrod covers on clasisc singles like the Norton ES2.  As far as a conversion - forget about it seems to be the forgone conclusion.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Pushrod Conversion
Reply #1 - 04/11/08 at 16:49:54

OHV with pushrods involves rocker arms.  Far too complicated.  I like the looks of a flathead.

WWW   IP Logged
Delbert
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

IN
Reply #2 - 04/11/08 at 16:55:22

I prefer the KISS of the LS650 stock.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/11/08 at 17:05:40

yep   Grin
It's already got rockers on a slow turning engine.
What's the big deal about OHC?

WWW   IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/12/08 at 05:21:14

If the cam would be gear driven, yes. More than likely if Suzuki built it with a cam in the case, and pushrod activated overhead valves, they'd probally still link the cam to the crank with a chain. I am thinking the whole chain isue is why this thread was thought of. We're not alone. How many miles are most ppl supose to change the timinimg belt on a car? 80,000-100,000? The timing chains on older v-8's is mostly gone by 100,000. Anyone have a Toyota with the 22R that had the chain eat through the cover, and into a water jacket, leaking water into the engine? Newer Harley's have a cam chain, and a primary drive chain that both need a look-see around 50,000-60,000. I know most/all vehicles accumilate more miles before this kinda service than the Savage, but how much more $$ was paid for those other vehicles. I have never heard of an ol' chevy I-6 jumping time. I am sure the engine would be far gone before the two gears that operate the cam would become that far worn. If someone could find a way to build flat head enigne that would operate as efficent as modern engines, that would be awsome, because they are very compact. Pushrods also give the engine another advantage. They allow the engine to be made shorter, which keeps a bikes frame smaller, generally makeing for a lower seat height, and contributes to a lower CG. If someone thinks that a pushrod engine can't perform, look at the new Vette, then decide. A pushrod OHV thumper makes complete sense, now go get ya a Bull Blast, ok, maybe it does'nt allways come out rite. Papa Smurf jumps gravy holes on the pig.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #5 - 04/12/08 at 05:50:30

rokrover wrote on 04/11/08 at 16:07:29:
OK, just kidding.  But does anyone else wish our bike had pushrod valve actuation instead of OHC with the attendant cam-chain worries?  The rpm limit of a big single is well served by push rod valve actuation so I don't see why not.  Besides, I loved the look of the chrome pushrod covers on clasisc singles like the Norton ES2.  As far as a conversion - forget about it seems to be the forgone conclusion.  

My opinion:

The "modern" internal combustion engine is one of the most over-engineered pieces of machinery ever!  Overhead valves (long ago) became recognized as "more efficient", which they are.  Overhead cams became a way to get more RPMs out of an engine and deal with 4 valves per cylinder so you could have different timing and duration for two different sets of valves.  If the engine is designed right for application from the start, this isn't necessary and is simply a compromise.

Oh....I see Onederer hit some of the same points I was going to make, so I'll end my diatribe here.   Roll Eyes

Bottom line:  overhead cams in a Savage don't gain us a darn thing except a "weak link" cam chain and tensioner system.   :'(

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #6 - 04/12/08 at 07:18:01

This thread is edging towards bring back cast iron engines, cross ply tyres, or maybe even swap the front disk for a drum and use friction pate shock absorbers and leaf springs, just like grandpa had.

The Savage's cam chain is a weak link because Suzuki got the tensioner mechanism's geometry wrong - on the whole overhead cams are just way, way better things to have than pushrods.
Most OHC bike engines with a cam chain are virtually zero maintenance with no corporate problems like the Savage has – blame the little guy in Hamamatsu who designed that part of the Savage motor and got it wrong, not the OHC concept!

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #7 - 04/12/08 at 15:43:40

Not quite the direction I was going...I like radial tires...but I like cast iron engine blocks...for street/intermittent use drums are a better design than disks, but for track/continuous use applications or submerged operation, disks are better.  For a recreational offroad truck, or for heavy hauling, it's still tough to beat a solid axle/leaf spring setup for cost vs. function.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm not AGAINST change or new technology, just against change for the sake of change or more commonly, for simple marketing.

KwakNut, I'm willing to change my mind here...So, what about the OHC design makes it superior for any and all applications?

What do you gain with OHC vs. pushrods?  Are there any drawbacks?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/12/08 at 16:20:48

KwakNut wrote on 04/12/08 at 07:18:01:
This thread is edging towards bring back cast iron engines, cross ply tyres, or maybe even swap the front disk for a drum and use friction pate shock absorbers and leaf springs, just like grandpa had.

The Savage's cam chain is a weak link because Suzuki got the tensioner mechanism's geometry wrong - on the whole overhead cams are just way, way better things to have than pushrods.
Most OHC bike engines with a cam chain are virtually zero maintenance with no corporate problems like the Savage has – blame the little guy in Hamamatsu who designed that part of the Savage motor and got it wrong, not the OHC concept!

Hex on the little guy at Hamamatsu!  Hex I say Hex!   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/13/08 at 08:29:30

barry68v10 wrote on 04/12/08 at 15:43:40:
Not quite the direction I was going...I like radial tires...but I like cast iron engine blocks...for street/intermittent use drums are a better design than disks, but for track/continuous use applications or submerged operation, disks are better.  For a recreational offroad truck, or for heavy hauling, it's still tough to beat a solid axle/leaf spring setup for cost vs. function.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm not AGAINST change or new technology, just against change for the sake of change or more commonly, for simple marketing.

KwakNut, I'm willing to change my mind here...So, what about the OHC design makes it superior for any and all applications?

What do you gain with OHC vs. pushrods?  Are there any drawbacks?

Okay, here's my two penneth:

OCH vs Pushrod

Advantages of OHC:
- Less moving parts/valvetrain momentum to sap power
- Capacity to rev higher
- More precise timing control without pushrod flex and elastic ‘lag’ in long valvetrain
- Port shape can be optimised without having to make space for pushrods
- Often (though not with Savage design) no need for rockers
- OHC designs allow easily for 4-valve setups which increase power without sacrificing torque compared with 2-valve heads

Disadvantages of OHC:
- Don’t have nice shiny chromed pushrod tubes on the outside of the barrel
- Taller engine
- Pushrod setup is cheaper in a vee engine
- Can be more difficult to set up timing than a pushrod motor

Disks VS Drums

Advantages of disks:
Resistance to heat fade
Better cooling from better surface area
Stronger braking weight for weight
Self-drying after puddles/wet weather
Less unsprung mass than drums
Easier to access/maintain
No trapping of dust to clog mechanism
Braking not affected by drum expansion
Don’t require adjustment or self-adjustment mechanisms

Disadvantages of disks:
Rotor size limited by wheel diameter
Not as good static (ie for parking) as drums

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 04/13/08 at 10:07:58

KwakNut wrote on 04/13/08 at 08:29:30:
OCH vs Pushrod
Advantages of OHC:
1- Less moving parts/valvetrain momentum to sap power
2- Capacity to rev higher
3- More precise timing control without pushrod flex and elastic ‘lag’ in long valvetrain
4- Often (though not with Savage design) no need for rockers
5- OHC designs allow easily for 4-valve setups which increase power without sacrificing torque compared with 2-valve heads

Savage specific rebutal:
1. Chain vs push rods,
a. total weight, push rods win
b. momentum for actuation of valves, chain wins
2. rpm limited by stroke so OHC not effective
3. not effective in low rpm engine
4. savage has rockers, you would need DOHC to eliminate them.
5. agree

Not saying that I'll convert the savage over to pushrod, but if I were sitting in the bigwig's commitee that designed her 30 years ago, I would have voted for pushrod.  The cam would be a little stubby job, cheap, gear driven, perhaps smaller gears, cheap, pushrods instead of chain, cheap, less mass in the head, cheap.  Price is set by market demand, more profit.

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #11 - 04/13/08 at 10:44:59

Two more disadvantages of disks:

The disk is exposed and thus more vulnerable to damage than drums.
The pads are smaller and thus wear out far faster than drums.

WWW   IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 04/13/08 at 10:56:52

verslagen1 wrote on 04/13/08 at 10:07:58:
Savage specific rebutal:
1. Chain vs push rods,
a. total weight, push rods win
b. momentum for actuation of valves, chain wins
2. rpm limited by stroke so OHC not effective
3. not effective in low rpm engine
4. savage has rockers, you would need DOHC to eliminate them.
5. agree

Not saying that I'll convert the savage over to pushrod, but if I were sitting in the bigwig's commitee that designed her 30 years ago, I would have voted for pushrod.  The cam would be a little stubby job, cheap, gear driven, perhaps smaller gears, cheap, pushrods instead of chain, cheap, less mass in the head, cheap.  Price is set by market demand, more profit.
1a.  Usually, but not always – a pushrod motor still needs a chain/gears to drive the cam from the crank, and that little lightweight chain won’t weight much more than pushrods and tubes.
2.      Kind of agree – though even that big stroke could rev at least a thousand higher and be reliable.
3.      Agreed.
4.      Yes, not the case for the Savage – but 2-valve inline SOHC motors achieve this.

I can’t disagree with the view that the Savage gains little from OHC setup, but seeing as the biggest advantage of pushrods would probably be the head height, they’re going to be on their way to the museum.

Don’t get me wrong – I’ve loved quite a few pushrod bikes over the years and I have a pushrod V8 in a car at home, and love its character.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 22:39:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pushrod Conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.