Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trying to remove the "sticker" (Read 135 times)
Toymaker
Serious Thumper

Dragon Rider

Granite Falls, NC
Trying to remove the "sticker"
04/10/08 at 08:39:52

I have a 1995 Savage.  I want ti remove the "suzuki" sticker on the tank.  It looks like it has been clear-coated.  Can I use "polishing compound" and bluff it off or is there an easier way?  I really don't want to repaint the tank.

Because I can!
  IP Logged
Mr. Hyde
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: Trying to remove the "sticker"
Reply #1 - 04/10/08 at 08:45:06

Go to the Tech/Reference section, then to the Table of Contents. Scroll on down until you find the link to 'removing badging'. Good stuff.

FREE RIDER - Whatever blows your hair back.
  IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #2 - 04/10/08 at 10:19:10

I had the same question a while ago. All I could find in the tech section was about removing the "Boulevard" raised badging, not the "Suzuki" decals on the tank and "Savage" decals on the side covers (which are all covered in clearcoat).

I decided not to attempt it as the clearcoat would need to be partially resprayed and merged with the existing paint/clearcoat, which I think would be almost as much work as respraying the whole tank.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 04/10/08 at 10:32:23

that it get hot in the sun it will peel right off

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 04/10/08 at 10:37:00

Yes, sticker has clear coat.   Removing it requires feathering the clear coat so the line is hidden.    I have been told that there is no clear coat under the sticker.  You need to do some polishing to get the differences to be hard to see.  

It might be a good idea to get a quote at a body shop to re-clear coat it.   Maybe even a quote to do all the work..... and a quote if you do all the prep.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 04/10/08 at 11:27:51

It is underneath the clearcoat and it takes some patience to remove.  Drain the tank and air it out first.  Then use a hair drier (not a heat gun) to heat the decal.  Use something non-marring (I used a plastic putty scraper) to scrape/peel the edge up and then you'll be able to peel it in larger strips (keeping it properly heated during all of this).  Once it's removed, you will have an outline leftover from the clearcoat.  You can feather that and use your own clearcoat or whatever you desire.  I used black truck bed liner.  Actually, I first used rattlecan clearcoat and got very good results.  Unfortunately, I didn't realize how easily fuel eats rattlecan clearcoat.  Then I used the truck bed liner and gas has no noticeable effect on it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 04/10/08 at 14:26:41

My 05 didnt have clearcoat,, & it was a severe enough hassle! I feel sorry for those with clearcoat. Clearly, that is just a Huge Hassle.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 20:16:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Trying to remove the "sticker"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.