Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil level (Read 181 times)
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Oil level
04/04/08 at 05:25:12

The bike I am looking at has it's oil level at the top line of the good zone when resting on the sidestand.  I'm pretty sure it should be checked with the bike upright.  If so the bike has a bit too much oil.  I'm going to do a full oil change with synthetic when I get the bike home, but should I empty out a bit before riding the bike 30 miles?  Or is that amount not enough to matter?

IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Re: Oil level
Reply #1 - 04/04/08 at 06:06:03

If you see oil in the glass, while its resting on the side stand, the crank case is WAY overfilled.

The oil should come up to the top of the 'good' zone only when it is held vertical.

You can damage the engine by riding with the crank case overfilled.  Drain it ALL out and refill it to the correct level.

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 04/04/08 at 06:08:40

its has quite a bit of too much oil - would sure be better to just change it mostly right there - only take 5 minutes then you know for sure what is in it

IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #3 - 04/04/08 at 08:11:48

Reelthing wrote on 04/04/08 at 06:08:40:
its has quite a bit of too much oil - would sure be better to just change it mostly right there - only take 5 minutes then you know for sure what is in it

I just don't want the mess of changing the filter in someones driveway and don't want to do a full change without a new filter.  I'll probably bleed some out and do the full change at home.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 04/04/08 at 20:32:42

If this was my hassle I would clean around the drain plug real well & pull it, draining into a clean container. I would reinstall the plug after it had drained "my best guess" of how much it needed to lose. If I drained too much, I would dump some back in. Take lots of rags & use nitrile gloves. I tie a rag aroound my arm when I am working like this, to keep oil from running down my arm to my elbow.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #5 - 04/04/08 at 20:33:52

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/04/08 at 20:32:42:
If this was my hassle I would clean around the drain plug real well & pull it, draining into a clean container. I would reinstall the plug after it had drained "my best guess" of how much it needed to lose. If I drained too much, I would dump some back in. Take lots of rags & use nitrile gloves. I tie a rag aroound my arm when I am working like this, to keep oil from running down my arm to my elbow.  
yes cause best done with oil up to temp!!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 04/04/08 at 20:42:26

In this case I would do it room temp.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 04/04/08 at 20:47:56

Yoiu know, when an angine is cold, the iol has all, I mean ALL run down into the sump. So, it doesnt drain from the sump as well, but, all I gotta do is let it drain longer. I am not a service man at a dealership, making a paycheck, so I dont mind popping the drain out, p[ulling the filter, cleaning that oil out, popping a new filter in, I can lean the bike over & let it drain. I haven't ever drained an engine cold & torn it down & compared that to draining an engine warmed up & tore it down, to see which has the most "Old Oil" left in it, BUT, I would venture a guess that the difference in negligible. Who has the scoop to convince me I should drain it warm?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/04/08 at 21:41:09

One to many of sluggo's brownies, yeh jog?

If oil is all that you want drain it cold when it's 15w

when it's hot, it's 40.  But when it's hot, all of the crap is floating in the oil, rather than sunk to the bottom after it's sat awhile and got cold.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 04/05/08 at 04:03:05

Errrm,, ahhh, uhhhh, weelll,, actuallly,, ya see, I didnt GET no danged brownie, so I have Nothing to blame my mistake on. Crud, ehh? Floating while oil is hot, but settling to the sump when cold crud.. very sneaky crud. Man, I just pretty much blew it,, yea, 15 w would drain cold better thaN warm, which gets me thnking. Since all the oil, & its attendant "crud" as Verslagen calls it, has drained to the sump, would draining the oil, installing the plug & dumping a pint O diesel or liquid Berrymans in & sloshing it around a bit be a decent idea?

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #10 - 04/05/08 at 05:05:43

if your just gonna take a little off the top there is no need to warm it up. that would just be silly. personally that is all i would do, till i got it home to change it proper like.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #11 - 04/05/08 at 08:41:15

Keith_T wrote on 04/04/08 at 05:25:12:
The bike I am looking at has it's oil level at the top line of the good zone when resting on the sidestand.  I'm pretty sure it should be checked with the bike upright.  If so the bike has a bit too much oil.  I'm going to do a full oil change with synthetic when I get the bike home, but should I empty out a bit before riding the bike 30 miles?  Or is that amount not enough to matter?

keithert,
    Yes, oil level is checked with bike level....  or closed to level.  A std 2x4 is almost the right size, makes the bike just off level.  I use a Rough cut 2x4 oak stud from an old house.  It's almost level and is at the point where I keep an eye on it so it does not tip over.

Next, being overfilled shouldn't do damage, but could be messy. To qualify my comment, ....  I've had the engine apart.  Heck, that's how I got it, a $500 eBay special.  I split the case to make sure it was clean.  It's a little surpirsing how simple the engine is.

http://www.users.fast.net/~tommack/100_1946.JPG

You most likely won't blow any oil seals since it's a low oil pressure engine.   What will happen is you will get a bunch more "splash".   That means more oil vapor in the case so it will come out the breather.   That can eventually get messy.  You should be able to drive it home...... might be good to drain a tiny bit though....

Hey..... you sound more & more that you're leaning to the savage.....  Wink

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 04/05/08 at 09:06:49

My question would be did they overfill it or did gas get in there?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 04/05/08 at 09:40:25

If I put gasoline in oil & stir, will it seperate if I leave it alone? I know it is different viscosities, but it will stay a homogenous mix, right?
So, even if oil is drained from the bottom, it will be just as poluted as the top oil in the sump? Should be able to smell it if thers much gas, if not, a match at 1/4 inch should do the trick, Huh? Make sure thats a LONG stick on that match, dont scorch a finger.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #14 - 04/05/08 at 10:37:03

[quote author=4749455844495E582C0 link=1207311912/0#3 date=1207321908]Reelthing wrote on 04/04/08 at 06:08:40:
I just don't want the mess of changing the filter in someones driveway and don't want to do a full change without a new filter.  I'll probably bleed some out and do the full change at home.

i've changed oil without replacing filter now and then  no problem as long as you don't do that to often.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:24:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil level

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.