Send Topic Print
Mac muffler question (Read 157 times)
Twisty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mac muffler question
04/03/08 at 17:13:10

Just introduced myself in another thread, as I already comitted a no-no by trying to ask muffler questions with links as my first post.  Hopefully I'm good to go now.  

I read the Mac Muffler Install thread by Vtail and am thinking he has the 650 Savage 86-87 taper tip installed as shown here http://www.macperformance.com/store/product1.cfm?SID=3&Product_ID=669 .  I wouldn't mind having this style, but am wondering if the 86-87 will be a problem as my bike is a 2000?  I actually like the turned out style better shown here http://www.macperformance.com/store/category.cfm?SID=3&Category_ID=735 and wonder if this will be a good choice?  

I'm pretty set on a mac muffler after listening to all of the sound files, and how lucky for me this place was here to give me the actual option of listening and comparing mufflers first!  Any feedback would be appreciated, and thanks in advance.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Mac muffler question
Reply #1 - 04/03/08 at 17:42:54

Twisty wrote on 04/03/08 at 17:13:10:
... I read the Mac Muffler Install thread by Vtail and am thinking he has the 650 Savage 86-87 taper tip.... am wondering if the 86-87 will be a problem as my bike is a 2000?....
I have the taper tip MAC on my 2000.  The muffler is listed as 86-87 as later years had lower federal sound limits and it is the feds that regulate interstate sales.  How loud you are allowed to be depends on your State law.  And whether or not that law is mostly ignored.

WWW   IP Logged
Twisty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/03/08 at 17:54:40

Quote:
I have the taper tip MAC on my 2000.  The muffler is listed as 86-87 as later years had lower federal sound limits and it is the feds that regulate interstate sales.

Aha!  That makes sense now, appreciate the fast response, this place rocks.  Thank you Paladin!

IP Logged
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Reply #3 - 04/03/08 at 21:05:58

are you wanting a really deep and loud muffler ? or just a little louder than stock? if you want the deepest and loudest muffler to put on your 2000 that's what i have i would suggest screaming eagle stage 2 slip on's they are rolling thunder loud i have a friend who has a 1200 sportster and it is alot more aggressive sounding than his bike you can usually pick them up used on ebay or if you have swap meets where you are located you can pick them up there pretty cheap i got mine for 10 bucks very good quality and sounds much better than most any muffler out there depending on what you are looking for soud wise . Good luck.

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
crimsonhand1977   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 04/04/08 at 09:41:54

Only reinforcing what's already been said but I have the same MAC on my '98 and it's just fine.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #5 - 04/04/08 at 09:44:02

I personally have a Jardine and it seems to do just fine for me. But just like "The Great Oil Debate" it all depends on personal preference.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Twisty
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/04/08 at 11:32:39

Quick response before I head to work.  I'm not necessarily looking for really loud.  I just really liked the sound of the Mac on the sound files link.  I put in an order and should have the Mac within the next few days.  I'm using a loaner trumpet style from a friend right now, as the previous owner basically took a piece of rebar and wiped out all the innards on the stock exhaust (from the looks of it), so my bike was almost impossible to tune up.  

Went for my first ride with my new/used front end replaced yesterday, everything is great (once my b/f adjusted the rear brake a bit).  I'm really happy.  Once again, thank you everyone for your feedback.  This board has been invaluable to me, and I really appreciate it.  Oh, and not dissing on anyone's mufflers, they all sound pretty cool, and it wasn't necessarily an easy choice for me.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 04/04/08 at 12:44:21

That was my '98 you heard.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #8 - 04/04/08 at 15:10:23

My MAC is on a '07 model. I like it. Loud under throttle but pretty mellow if just idling or under constant or very mild throttle WinkOh and when getting off the throttle sounds like a jake brake on a truck. Cool.
The chroming will blue at the front of the MAC but that is covered by the heatshield. Do not forget the carb mods. I run without spacer and 152.5 main jet.

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Reply #9 - 04/04/08 at 21:51:39

i just adjusted my air mixture screw no jetting and no white spacer mod no blueing on the screamin eagle worked out real well the mac is prolly the best aftermarket muffler to use as far as buying new .

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
crimsonhand1977   IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #10 - 04/05/08 at 12:51:20

5700 miles now and no blue-ing of the header pipe. Wink

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 08:58:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mac muffler question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.