Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gear Shift Rod (Read 133 times)
NDBiker

Columbus, Ohio
Gear Shift Rod
04/05/08 at 00:45:48

My gear shift rod snapped.  I have another on order.  How do I replace it?  Unscrew the nuts on the old one and screw the new one on?  Do I have to take anything else off?

My motorcycle gets better gas mileage than your hybrid.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Gear Shift Rod
Reply #1 - 04/05/08 at 03:54:21

I havent messed with one yet, but, just from looking I am betting it has one end threaded left hand threads & it will install easily. I shuld go look at the book or the bike, but its not even 6 am & I just aint a gonna,, kay?  Just pay attention to which way the threads are "leaning" as they move up the length of the rod & that will show you which way to turn the jam nut to get the broken ends out. I guess there's only 1 jam?

What caused it to break? Any idea? I only aske because if 1 broke, maybe a second one will too. If it was mine & i thout it Might need another rod one day, I just might see how cheap I could get the old one welded, just to have as a spare.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #2 - 04/05/08 at 05:02:28

i actually broke mine last week. it was totally my fault though. i left it hanging when i was putting on the new Ed L. plates, then had to move the bike. its easy to replace, remove the splined piece from the shifter shaft, 10mm bolt, that should take off the biggest part. then just take a 10mm wrench and take the rod off the part you just removed. the other half is connected to the shifter itself and has a left handed thread, it also will use a 10mm wrench. hope this helps.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 04/05/08 at 08:52:09

One side it left hand threads, the other is right hand threads.  That way, when you loosen up the lock nuts, you can turn it one way to make it longer, turn the other to make it shorter.  

Your hardest thing will be figuring out which side is which when you try to loosen the lock nuts......

If you can get it off the bike, it will make a close inspecct of the threads easier.  Yes,  it  may take some head scrathing to figure out which way to turn.  good luck

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #4 - 04/05/08 at 08:58:47

Shifter end is left handed thread and tranny end is right handed thread. At least that's the way it is on the FireLizard.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
NDBiker

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #5 - 04/05/08 at 09:09:04

Thanks guys I'll be takeing the old one off today.  The reason it broke was someone tried to steal it one night, couldn't because I have it locked down tight.  fyi, I don't have a garage.  Since they couldn't snag it the pushed it over and kicked it.  Bent the rod then it just snapped a block from my place when I was upshifting.  Luckily it was in first gear and I was close.

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #6 - 04/05/08 at 12:01:17

mine snapped in second as I was a block or two from my place...looks like we appeased the riding gods

my rod bent then snapped.  I assume that it was just old and worn because I'm having no problems with the new one.  The part is like 6 or 7 bucks and I should probably get a spare...it sucks not being able to shift.

I would honestly recommend carrying a spare with you.  Its small and light, no harm done.

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
NDBiker

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #7 - 04/05/08 at 15:55:25

Right after I posted the mail came along with the rod.  I wasn't expecting it for a couple more days.  It was easier than I thought to change out.  Works great now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 02:55:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gear Shift Rod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.