Send Topic Print
Rear Fender Mods (Read 203 times)
Darren
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rear Fender Mods
04/01/08 at 17:50:12

Hi all - Does anybody have exerience of running the stock rear fender without the chrome strengthening rails?

Having caught the modification bug I have decided to remove the pillion pad, sissy bar and chrome rails from my rear fender. I am going to run the license plate and rear light off a side mounted bracket and have some small indicators to replace the large Suzi indicator assemblies.

I intend to fill the existing wiring and fixing holes in he fender and remove the rear pillion pad mounting but I have decided to leave the Reg Rec where it is.

If I can find a suitable example I will mount a small rack on the fender but other than that it will carry a small steady rod attached to the back of a fish tail silencer. It seems pretty solid but as its only bolted down at the front I don't know if it will move/vibrate on the move and affect the back wheel.

Cheers

Daz

IP Logged
ebmiller2

Bel Air, MD
Re: Rear Fender Mods
Reply #1 - 04/01/08 at 18:17:43

WWW   IP Logged
Savage13
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/01/08 at 22:00:29

Nice idea for a mc-carrier, but is that even legal? And don't you worry about blind tailgatin granny's crushing your Savage? :'(

IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #3 - 04/01/08 at 22:01:46

Sorry to highjack the thread  Tongue

EB - where did you get the floorboards???

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #4 - 04/01/08 at 22:20:21

Darren wrote on 04/01/08 at 17:50:12:
Hi all - Does anybody have exerience of running the stock rear fender without the chrome strengthening rails?

Having caught the modification bug I have decided to remove the pillion pad, sissy bar and chrome rails from my rear fender. I am going to run the license plate and rear light off a side mounted bracket and have some small indicators to replace the large Suzi indicator assemblies.

I intend to fill the existing wiring and fixing holes in he fender and remove the rear pillion pad mounting but I have decided to leave the Reg Rec where it is.

If I can find a suitable example I will mount a small rack on the fender but other than that it will carry a small steady rod attached to the back of a fish tail silencer. It seems pretty solid but as its only bolted down at the front I don't know if it will move/vibrate on the move and affect the back wheel.

Cheers

Daz

Daz,  I'm not sure I would call them "strengthening rails"...but they are chrome.  I pulled mine off my 95 and carried saddlebags and tail bag with no problem.  If you want to know where the strength is, then just take the fender off, set it on the ground, and stand on it...along with 3 buddies.  It ain't gonna break.   Wink

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #5 - 04/01/08 at 22:35:47

Educatedredneck wrote on 04/01/08 at 22:01:46:
Sorry to highjack the thread  Tongue

EB - where did you get the floorboards???

Ebay or JC Whitney.  Harley/Universal passenger floorboards.  Direct peg replacement after 5 minutes with a rotary tool to widen the pin hole up.  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1192127610/27#27

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Hell, Billy

back in black, again

a dirt road, somewhere in R I
Reply #6 - 04/01/08 at 22:37:23

Interesting, I`m going a similar route. I am gonna mount my alloy  blinkers thru the rear hole and use the 2 remaining center holes for bungee posts and I`ll tuck the wire thru the forward hole. I`ll make a couple of soft  copper clips to go inside the fender behind the bungee posts to keep the wire down.

Nah, that bar doesn`t do anything but mount the El Cheapo plastic blinker...I was surprised to see how darn heavy it is, I though it was plastic or pot metal. Less weight equals more fun.

B

IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/01/08 at 22:47:53

Savage13 wrote on 04/01/08 at 22:00:29:
Nice idea for a mc-carrier, but is that even legal? And don't you worry about blind tailgatin granny's crushing your Savage? :'(

I think that MC carrier is a good idea, but I would take the belt off the bike. I'm sure like most bikes, the transmission shafts are pressure lubed while the bike is running. If pulling the bike with the engine stoped, the bearings won't stay properly lubricated, and could cause premature failure. Even though the trans is in neutral, the rear wheel spining the drive pulley still turns the shaft in the trans.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/01/08 at 23:08:24

Savage13 wrote on 04/01/08 at 22:00:29:

It's like anything else being towed, gotta have red light at the back.  Turn ig switch to park and pull the key.

I got one just like it.  These are pretty hefty built, but if you really want to do this get the ones that keep the front wheel straight and it pivots.  The bike really leans in corners, and you don't dare stop in the middle of a turn.

WWW   IP Logged
Darren
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 04/02/08 at 07:30:38

Hi all, thanks for the pictures etc on this thread - I was genuinely surprised at how much metal there is in the rear fender and chrome rails.

Not that removing the weight will make any difference with me sitting on board!

Anyway, the rebuild is starting now so hopefully I will be able to post a picture or two in the near future.

Cheers

Darren

IP Logged
ebmiller2

Bel Air, MD
Reply #10 - 04/02/08 at 09:34:17

verslagen1, re your comment about lean with the carrier. Others have made the same comment, but I don't seem to have the problem, or I'm blind to it.  I compress the forks about 30-40% and my tie downs are far apart (at the ends of the bumper).  You do the same/

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 04/02/08 at 10:07:51

I guess you're blind then.

The 1st time I used it, pulled in the driveway happy as a pig in a poke.  Since it was the 1st I'll stop and get pictures.  Everybody shows it straight with the car, I'll take a few at an angle cause I did see it lean a bit in the corners.  Nearly crapped my pants when I stopped.  The bike leaning a bit 15-20°, but when I stopped it doubled.  Threw the camera back in the car, went back and picked up the rear of the bike and scooted it around.

The head angle of the savage is something like 35°.  You raise the front end a foot or so and it becomes 45°.  You take a turn, it's going to lean the same amount.  If you got the straps too tight, it still wants to lean but it can't so the forks are being loaded.  Cause the front wheel is locked in, it's being loaded.  You don't need either of those bent.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:19:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Fender Mods

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.