Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Explain to me why the slider/plunger is so big? (Read 82 times)
furious70

{insert text here}

Chicago
Explain to me why the slider/plunger is so big?
04/02/08 at 07:49:57

Having taking my wife's carb apart, I can understand how these get gummed up and stick rich.  My question is why is the slider so stinkin' huge on these?

Any of you that mess with old cars too and know how a Carter carb works--that's where I'm coming from.  The rod is about the same size, but the slider/plunger and spring assembly are only about the size of a thimble.  There's much less surface area to get gummed up and stuck on.  That design seems to make a lot more sense to me.

So what is the reasoning or advantage to the way these bike carbs are set up?
Thanks

2002 Kawasaki Mean Streak (mine)
1999 Suzuki Savage (hers)
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Explain to me why the slider/plunger is so big
Reply #1 - 04/02/08 at 08:54:18

does a couple things on this - moves the needle up and down but also changes the size of the intake venturi in an effort to do it without and accl pump - like the vacuum butterfly on the back 2bbls - not saying its good...

by man you talk about big slide - some of the side draft carbs on say a 260Z if I remember right were frap'n huge

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 04/02/08 at 09:03:46

Aaaaaa...   isn't that thimble sized thing in the Carter a pump?????   From what I remember.... Old cars, you hit the throttle and it dumps gas into the throat.  You can see it squirt.

On bikes, the gas is pulled in, no pumps.  Also, I believe you will find that the slide on bikes should equal the size of the carb throat.    

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
furious70

{insert text here}

Chicago
Reply #3 - 04/02/08 at 10:07:04

the accelator pump has nothing to do with the metering rods and their movement in a carter carb.
The rod is an L shape and hooks through the little thimble, the spring rides under the thimble.  Vaccum pulls on the thimble and overcomes the spring.  When vaccum is reduced, the spring becomes the more powerful force and the metering rod is lifted out of the jet.  The rods are actually stepped (2 or 3 steps) to give gradual enrichment.

Talking through that, it seems the savage carb is actually set up the opposite?  The spring is on the top forcing the rod down into the jet, right?  Then somehow as intake vaccum goes down the spring is overcome and up comes the rod?

Not saying they don't work, obv they do, just trying to expand my horizons and understand how they work and why they are that way.

2002 Kawasaki Mean Streak (mine)
1999 Suzuki Savage (hers)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:23:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Explain to me why the slider/plunger is so big?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.