Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
my first 2 days riding (Read 125 times)
vargas

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

my first 2 days riding
03/22/08 at 22:41:28

thank to everyone so far. I'm glad there's a place for info and to ask questions. I have lots of questions. First of all is break-in. Iknow somewhere here there must be a break-in thread ,but the site search came up nil. I tried to folow shift schedule frome the "using the transmission"section of the O.M. today . i.e. upshifting at 12and, 19 25 , and 31 m.p.h.  The vibration was terrible and  I  thought I  was going to wreck the engine . So I decided to shift by ear. I have a "99 ford ranger and wheni shift the bike like I would my truck it seems not to lug . Is this o.k. ? I also got caught in a snow squall today ,( it was supposed to not do that), and the bike was making a squeeling screeching sound. I assumed it was the water on the belt because it didn't make the noise when i drove it home. Any thoughts, thnx.

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Re: my first 2 days riding
Reply #1 - 03/22/08 at 23:06:25

When using the search feature, sometimes it's easy to overlook the date parameters. Make sure you are searching more than the last week for the "This post was made in the last..." dropdown.  You could try and choose "all" posts.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #2 - 03/22/08 at 23:21:14

vargas wrote on 03/22/08 at 22:41:28:
thank to everyone so far. I'm glad there's a place for info and to ask questions. I have lots of questions. First of all is break-in. Iknow somewhere here there must be a break-in thread ,but the site search came up nil. I tried to folow shift schedule frome the "using the transmission"section of the O.M. today . i.e. upshifting at 12and, 19 25 , and 31 m.p.h.  The vibration was terrible and  I  thought I  was going to wreck the engine . So I decided to shift by ear. I have a "99 ford ranger and wheni shift the bike like I would my truck it seems not to lug . Is this o.k. ? I also got caught in a snow squall today ,( it was supposed to not do that), and the bike was making a squeeling screeching sound. I assumed it was the water on the belt because it didn't make the noise when i drove it home. Any thoughts, thnx.

What I do Vargas, is shift at 15, 25, 35, 45, except when I am turning onto a highway, then I shift a little higher.  Purs real nice at these speeds.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #3 - 03/23/08 at 02:17:45

20, 30, 40, 50

12  for 2nd gear seems a little slow...it isnt a problem to go higher RPMs before shifting

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 03/23/08 at 03:49:40

I shift pretty much like the book says,but I'm an old guy. To me you miss that low speed power when you shift at higher speeds.Thats what the s40 is about. Torque .

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #5 - 03/23/08 at 06:07:18

The squeaking was most probably the belt. Dealerships tend to overtighten it a little in my experience. I wouldn't worry too much as it may just go away but if it persists it's quite easy to loosen it a bit. To check tightness you should be able to easily turn it 90 degress with your fingers - there's more details in the tech section.

Re the rev speed question - don't worry (or over analyse) you'll soon learn what speed feels right as you get to know your bike.

IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #6 - 03/23/08 at 06:30:45

Welcome.  There is a ton of info and debate here.  There has been a couple threads about shifting; and the answers are all of the speedometer.
I think it is more important to be aware of downshifting.  It's kinda shocking to hit 3rd waaaay to early and it feels like the rear is locking up..which in my case made my rear lock up. Undecided

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 16:14:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › my first 2 days riding

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.