I can't drive...65 (Read 268 times)
AzPilot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

I can't drive...65
03/13/08 at 18:46:55

Hey all,

Just picked up an 03 Savage as a commuter bike, and I'm having an intermittent problem that may be related to some of the other posts I've seen...but wanted to solicit some opinions...

Cruising down the road at 65...bike is warmed up, choke is in.  A few stutters of the engine felt through the bars, then total loss of RPMs.  On pulling over, if I fiddle with the petc0ck, I can get the engine to restart, and proceed normally from there.

I've ruled out fuel exhaustion, and the electrical system is running strong throughout these episodes.  It -feels- like what happens when a bike runs out of gas on the mains, and consumes the last of what's in the carb...but from what I've seen, people have seen similar behavior with carb flooding due to a bad fuel valve.

Any thoughts as to what I should troubleshoot first?  The bike is bone-stock, and only has about 2000 miles on it at this point.  Runs reasonably well in all other phases, aside from the usually hyper-lean condition (spacer mod may happen this weekend).

Thanks!
-Jason

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: I can't drive...65
Reply #1 - 03/13/08 at 18:50:08

before you change anything might want to get a handle on this first - try running it on PRI and see if she does the same thing - may just be a leaking vac hose that runs from the carb to petc0ck not letting enough gas in to keep the bowl full at higher speeds - PRI by passes it

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 03/13/08 at 19:00:28

If running on PRI doesn't help,  Other possibility could be that the screen on the petcock (in the tank) could be blocked with residue.  

EDIT:  go for simple things first...... Cool

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
JakeB

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

NE Ohio
Reply #3 - 03/13/08 at 19:20:17

I had a similar problem before, mine ended up being a sticky float. When it happens again try tapping the outside of a bowl with the handle of a screw driver. If that helps, pull the carb and clean it well.

Also if you are running a an inline fuel filter try taking that off and just running fuel line straight to the carb. I know that is one thing that was recomended to me when I posted my problem.

JakeB

IP Logged
Brandon
YaBB Newbies

Wooo Hoo!! Did you
see that!!!

Montevallo, AL
Reply #4 - 03/13/08 at 20:42:45

Mine is having the same problem, does fine at most speeds but around 55-65 it will stall like the bowl runs dry. I am going to take off my carb this weekend and check the float and also the petcock screen and vac lines. BTW, I tried mine on PRI and it does the same thing.

Representing the Savage Republic!!
bdsavage69   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #5 - 03/13/08 at 21:27:30

I seem to remember this from Bert's old German Savage site and the cause was a slide needle that wasn't able to fully rise. Essentially the bike ends up running so lean it quits at WFO or close to it. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #6 - 03/14/08 at 05:12:37

+1 on what others have said. I don't think you've ruled out fuel starvation, in fact you've described the symptoms of fuel starvation (running down the road at full speed then a loss of power, then fiddle with the petcock and then the engines starts right back up.) My money would be on either something wrong with the petcock or a vacuum leak.

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #7 - 03/14/08 at 05:12:57

Check your battery cables. Mine ran fine around town, but would cut out on the interstate. I did the fuel t'shooting and found nothing. Checked battery. Negative cable was loose. No more problems after cleaning and tightening.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 03/15/08 at 05:19:34

Check the vent in the gas cap, I've heard that it can plug up and give you a fuel starvation problem. Luck with it and let us know what you find.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #9 - 03/15/08 at 07:26:56

my 87 did the exact same thing. at first i thought it was the vac leaking, so i bought a new hose. didn't fix problem for long. ended up being the petcock. took it apart, and it looked fine. lancer suggested i try and put it on prime to see if fuel comes out, it didn't. so i bought a new petcock (not cheap) and has been fine ever since.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
AzPilot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 03/17/08 at 18:04:16

Well, this weekend brought some time to do the white spacer mod, and I replaced the vac hose with a new length from AutoZone.  Disassembled the petc0ck, but couldn't see anything overtly wrong, and the diaphragm seemed to do a decent job of holding vacuum with my manual vac pump.  Did not experience the fuel cut on the ride in this morning, but we'll see what this evening's ride brings.

MAN, what a difference the spacer mod and some tuning on the idle mixture screw makes.  It literally feels like a whole different bike, and pulls -much- harder through the middle range.  I can only imagine what a K&N and a re-jet would do!

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #11 - 03/22/08 at 23:42:11

I have a  2003, and I replaced that vacuum line.  It cured the problem.  That's my only disappointment with this bike.  A bike with 1750 miles on it, like mine when the problem occurred, should never have a condition like that.  I lost power on a freeway, and I was darn lucky I was in an outside lane with a big shoulder.  It's a design flaw, and it's dangerous.  You'd never expect a 5 year-old car with 1750 miles on it to lose power suddenly.  Anyway, I love the bike, and I wish they would have put some better vacuum hoses on.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 15:24:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I can't drive...65

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.