Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Inconsistant rich/flooding condition (Read 206 times)
furious70

{insert text here}

Chicago
Inconsistant rich/flooding condition
03/13/08 at 09:27:12

Hello all, first post.  My wife and I have been on bikes for 4 yrs.  I have almost 20yrs of musclecar experience, so I'm handy around the cars, learning about the differences in bikes.

Here's the deal- 99 Savage, ~11k mi (only gets ridden about 500mi/yr right now-which may be part of the problem).  We bought it 4 yrs ago for my wife.  Most of the time it runs fine, with the usual lean condition (from what I've read).  Every once and awhile though, it acts as though the floats are stuck, or there's crap on the seat or something.  It will load up and die coming up to every stop or turn and will even load up down the road.  
There has been a time or 2 when the bowl to main body seam was wet, as though the fuel level was too high, but this is not always true.

The first 2 yrs it only happened a couple times and in the fall only.  Now it seems to be a crap shoot, hot or cold, humid or not, no real weather condition tied to whether it'll act up.

I have had limited success tapping the bowl/body with a hammer.  Like an old holley that's been turned upside down, sometimes this seems to help (if the floats were stuck or there was crap on the seat, this makes sense)

We had the dealer do the head gasket last summer due to an oil leak.  At that time I told them about all this and they inspected and 'cleaned up' the carb.  We took it back a week later with the same problem.  The second trip didn't fix it either.

Was reading on here yesterday about petcock issues, I will check the vac hose for gas.  Most of the stuff I've read here has not been such an intermittent problem for people though.  That's the frustrating part of this of course.  My wife has about 0% confidence in the back right now.

I do have the Clymer manual, so any references to that or ideas in general are welcome.
Thanks

2002 Kawasaki Mean Streak (mine)
1999 Suzuki Savage (hers)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Inconsistant rich/flooding condition
Reply #1 - 03/13/08 at 09:49:29

The wet seam concerns me.  But could be cause you're overflowing due to a stuck float.

I'd yank the carb, clean it out, check it over good, put it back together and see what happens.

Fresh gas?

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 03/13/08 at 09:54:44

I'm using a different carb now but when I was using the original Mikuni BS40 I had the same thing happen.  I found it was flooding.  I took the carb apart, cleaned it and reinstalled it.  After that it worked just fine.  If you determine it to be flooding, please check your oil as it could have become contaminated if this has occurred a lot.  I just changed my oil for peace of mind.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
furious70

{insert text here}

Chicago
Reply #3 - 03/13/08 at 10:04:29

It's probably been rode <50mi since the oil change, so we shouldn't be too contaminated, but I'll give it a sniff.

Is there anything in particular that is prone to catching or sticking in these carbs?  Any poor castings or poor fittament that I may want to massage while I have it apart?

Gas has been in varying states of freshness  Undecided  I have tried seafoam in it too, as on the Kawa forums everyone suggests that to fix just about everything.

Frustrating that is seems like you can't depend on a shop to do much of anything anymore except change tires.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 03/13/08 at 10:09:03

I never did determine definitively what, specifically, was sticking.  I couldn't see anything sticking when I inspected it, so I just did a thorough cleaning.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 03/13/08 at 10:17:36

Check yer pectcock vac line for gas.  Could be leaking gas into the intake.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
smokin_blue
Serious Thumper

From Cafes to
Streetfighters! I
build them all!

St. Paul, MN
Reply #6 - 03/13/08 at 10:18:53

A couple of thoughts for you.

1. Make sure the choke (enricher is fully shut off when this is happening)
2. If you pull the carb to work on it maker sure:
   A. choke plunger seat is clean and plunger face looks good
   B.  does the slide move freely up and down.  More on this later.
   C.  remove the needle valve and seat and make sure it is spotless.
   D.  make sure the float doesn't have any liquid in it.
   E.  Make sure the float moves freely

Here is where I am at.  A choke circuit left partway open will make it rich.  Liquid at the manifold sounds like an overflow situation which would point to the needle valve or float.  I have had everything (on other bikes) from debris in the needle vavle, stuck floats from sitting dry, to floats that wouldn't come up due to hitting the float bowl side wall, to actually sinking a float once...that was a scary ride home conisidering I was coming through the hood.

Also, with regards to the slide.  if that is gummed up it will stay up when the butterfly closes and so your needle jet is not operating in sync with butterfly/airflow.

Lastly, today's gas is terrible for intermittant riders.  If you are having trouble with gas related issues, see if you can find a station that has a pump reserved for offroad, small engines, collector cars, and motorcycles.  The gas lacks many of the offending additives that gum up carburators in a matter of weeks (for those that aren't used)

Also, other than the wet joint are you sure it is rich and not a lean condition due to the pilot jet being plugged from low use?  My bikes often suffer from that with today's gas and my limited time to ride.

good luck.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 03/13/08 at 10:26:00

You might consider draining the carb inbetween rides.

WWW   IP Logged
furious70

{insert text here}

Chicago
Reply #8 - 03/13/08 at 11:33:01

When it acts up, it's definitely rich.  Have to hold it WOT to start, belches black, trying the choke makes it worse, etc.

When it's running right, cruising down the road at temp, if you pull the choke out to the first notch the bike actually picks up steam and stops the lean surge that it seems to have come standard with.

So, in general, the main circuit is too lean when it runs correctly (not a big concern and certainly 2nd priority here).  When it's acting up, idle and main circuits are too rich, as it will load up and die at idle and load up and chug down the road.  WOT works fine as you would expect.

S_B: I'm with you on checking all the various parts of the carb save the 'slider'.  What does that refer to?

I don't know of any pumps to get that kind of gas in Chicago.  There is a place that sells 100 octane unleaded that may have a different additive package, but that octane would cause more trouble I'd think.

I have read other places that infrequent riding of these bikes is particularly hard on the fuel system, is that true?  With the vac operated petcock, if I leave the petcock in the normal position, I can drain the bowl and be fine-and then switch to prime to refill before riding again?  About how much time does it take for it to fill?

Thanks for the ideas so far.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 03/13/08 at 11:41:07

From what you describe I'd sure clean the slide and it's bore to spotless - even a greasy finger print or two can make it hang land run as you describe - next up check the petc0ck vacuum line it should never have any gas in it else it's diaphram is failing

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #10 - 03/13/08 at 11:44:26

here's some doc/pics on that carb

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1098869040

IP Logged
furious70

{insert text here}

Chicago
Reply #11 - 03/13/08 at 12:09:27

having a quick look at that, is it fair to say these kind of work like a carter 4bbl carb with the jet and rod arrangement?  What they call a jet needle #6 I'd call a rod.

In that diagram or the pics, where's the 'slider'?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #12 - 03/13/08 at 12:16:31

yes - needle (metering rod) hangs out of the bottom of the slider - it has a rubber diaphram on the top - it is vacuum operated -

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 03/13/08 at 12:17:52

number 9 in the diagram

IP Logged
furious70

{insert text here}

Chicago
Reply #14 - 03/13/08 at 12:20:57

ok, the tube the diaphram is attached to = slider.

Is there a handy link for a cheap gasket kit for this carb?  I'm guessing the shop didn't grease the gaskets, so they'll probably tear when I take it apart.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:19:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Inconsistant rich/flooding condition

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.