Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
removing stripped spacer screw (Read 5 times)
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
removing stripped spacer screw
03/12/08 at 02:10:29

So, being the naive young fool I am, I didn't take the time to find the perfect tip for the screw above the white spacer and stripped the screw and made a nice little hole in the top of it.  Is there a way to try and yank it out?  Im going to look at extractors, but its a pretty small screw.  Is there any way I could fit pliers down in there?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: removing stripped spacer screw
Reply #1 - 03/12/08 at 04:41:19

When I booger a screw I try to use a small punch to drive the metal back in place. Sometimes it works. I cant remember how hard it is to get tools to the head of that screw. Some places really make a stripped head a hassle.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Sarge
YaBB Newbies
Alliance Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 03/12/08 at 11:33:28

SmileyI assume your talking about one of the three small screws inside the carb slider piston.  I also ruined the head of one of those small screws but was able to remove it with a small (Easy out screw extractor) and needle nose pliers.  I had to drill the screw head first with the right size diameter drill bit in a longer than standard length.  The drill bit and screw extractor should be available at any well equiped hardware store.  You don't want to have to replace the piston assembly as they are expensive.
Good Luck

IP Logged
JakeB

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

NE Ohio
Reply #3 - 03/12/08 at 13:20:19

You could try left handed drill bits if you have them, just go really slow and try to soak the threads in PB Blaster (or some other penetrating oil that won't hurt the diaphragm) for ten minutes or more.

If you don't have any left handed drill bits then I know Harbor Freight has set for cheap and any machine supply store will have them, a good local hardware store will also have them, but I doubt that Lowes or Home Depot have any.

Anyway, buy a couple because it's likely they will break, and it sucks going back out again when they do. Grin

JakeB

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 03/13/08 at 07:16:44

easy out aka rigid screw extractor, left handed bits...

IP Logged
JakeB

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

NE Ohio
Reply #5 - 03/13/08 at 13:06:06

vroom1776 wrote on 03/13/08 at 07:16:44:
easy out aka rigid screw extractor, left handed bits...

I wasn't talking about screw extractors that you have to drill a hole in the screw then thread an extractor into, but regular drill bits that cut when turning CCW, it's like they're made...backwards. Huh

Like these. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?function=Search  Wink

JakeB

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:23:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › removing stripped spacer screw

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.