Send Topic Print
Whale (Read 3953 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Whale
Reply #45 - 10/31/08 at 19:51:03

okay. since onederer isnt around anymore to answer I was hoping some of the long timers here might have some more solid details. The wheels used were from a gs450, correct? Or was it just the brake rotor that came off the 450 and was put onto said wheel. Which brake hub is used in the rear setup. Teh one from the savage or the other wheels?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #46 - 10/31/08 at 20:25:10

The front wheel is off of a gs450 to 650, all the same wheel.
The disk needs to be off of a gs450 and you'll need to cut down the OD to match the savage.  You'll also need 1/4" spacers to align the disk with the caliper.  The stock axle spacers will work, but you'll be a little short on thread engagement.  Get an extra spacer and cut it down to 1.250"  if I remember correctly.

The wheels I got were off of a gs650GL.  which means the rear is shaft drive and disk brake.  If you get gs450 wheels, I think the rear is a drop in replacement.  Both are 16" rims BTW.  I'm either going to make an adapter plate or have tabs welded in.

« Last Edit: 10/31/08 at 23:02:18 by verslagen1 »  
WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #47 - 10/31/08 at 21:29:53

I was looking on ebay and saw mostly 18"(apparently) rear wheels for several years of gs450.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #48 - 10/31/08 at 23:07:29

80 - 83 gs450L
81 - 86 gs550L
83 gr650 tempter
all these use some combination of 100/90-19 or 90/90-16
and 120 or 130/90-16
can't tell if they are all mag's or not or which one's have disk drum combinations.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #49 - 12/26/08 at 20:59:24

did onederer end up switching to chain drive? If so do you know what if anything was done with the rear sproket to make it work? any spacing needed?

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #50 - 02/04/09 at 00:25:16

Rear wheel is not a drop in replacement. Im going to have to space the sprocket considerably. Im not sure how far im comfortable with spacing it out but it'd have to be 1/2in at least. In addition to that even with the sprocket spaced there would still need to be 1.25 =/- spacer made for the right side and the tab that holds brake hub doesn't even come close to touching. Super beat. Thats all offhanded geussing without even worrying about any sort of alignment. The gs450 wheel assembly as a whole is just way too narrow to make this a drop in replacement. Im very frustrated. The front worked out just dandy.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 02/04/09 at 02:33:57

I'll add to this as I take measurements and such but for now...The ls650 stock left rear axle spacer is 1 3/8in from end to end which is what you'll need to align front and rear sprockets BUT the OD is too large to work with the gs450 rear wheel so you'll have to have one made or scrounged. Didn't measure the needed OD yet. Now...I've noticed and heard in bits and peices how our bike is "lopsided" for lack of a better term. My stock wheel always seemed off center to the left but the gs450 is drastically off center to the left with the 1 3/8" spacer.

Update - Left side rear axle spacer will need to be 1 3/8" long by 1 1/8" O.D. The same size will work for the right side spacer. Both the sprocket and teh brake hub arm will have to be spaced somehow or other. Both 3/4" spacing. I have no idea how I'm going to go about that but with those measurements my ChengShin 130/90 is centered at 1 1/4" fron the either side of the inside of teh rear fender. Any ideas for spacing the sprocket/brake hub arm?

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #52 - 02/04/09 at 04:24:07

Spacing the sprocket shouldn't be hard. Im gunna have a 3/4in spacer made to move the sprocket out. Will post measurements/drawing/picture of the sprocket spacer. Will have to get longer sprocket bolts. So If you go that route extend your left rear axle spacer by 3/4" to 2 1/8".

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #53 - 02/04/09 at 20:38:38

peechewers ppplease.

WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #54 - 02/11/09 at 02:02:00

right so...im extremely confused and don't know if I missed the point of this conversion or not...From multiple references on this thread I assumed the purpose of this mod was to lose the tubes. So I set out to do so using onederers example of gs450 wheels. Everything finally arranged and time to fill up the tires before putting the wheels back on the bike...they wont hold air. I just looked at the microfiche for gs450 wheels. They call for tubes. WTF!?

Verslagen - ..."Cleaned up the rim, mounted a new D404 (he he tubeless) ..." - Granted he used different wheels BUT

Onederer wrote on 03/15/08 at 09:14:51:
rigidchop wrote on 03/15/08 at 07:22:20:
that looks really good. could you post a side shot of the whole bike? what was the weight difference between spoked and cast wheels?

Thanks. I'll post a whole side pic of the bike when I get the rear done.Kinda like a grand unveiling.  I think the weight is close to same, but the mass is more centalized on the cast wheel. I only guessed weight difference on wheels by holding them without rotor, and tire on each, and both felt close. The difference is the tube and rotors. The GS rotor I used weighs more than the standard Savage, but the Savage rotor and tube combined more than make up for the difference. I used a bungie cord to hang these from, then measured the distance to the floor, crude, but it showed the Savage rotor and tube combined, weigh 4" more  Roll Eyes. Loosing the tube helps centralize the mass, and should allow for an acceleration increase. I did'nt have an accurate scale, so it would be interesting to really know the wieght difference. If the whole set up is lighter, then the whole suspension should also work better.

verslagen1 wrote on 11/16/08 at 21:25:20:
I too have worn out 2 sets of d404's.

I was thinking of going to metzler but I'm making an effort to reinvent the wheel.  I've got a gs450 alloy rim on the front... tubeless!  And I'm working on the rear.  So didn't want a long lasting tire.

Onederer also directly said in the thread cast/alloy wheels "yes, they're tubeless."
I hope I'm missing something and didnt waste all this effort and money for some ugly wheels with no benefit but it's looking like he was full of crap and i got in over my head.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #55 - 02/11/09 at 09:07:27

The rims I got definitely say "tubeless" on a rib.

check the bead for scratches, if they are deep, they may not seal.

WWW   IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #56 - 02/11/09 at 17:50:13

every timie i buy tires online, i can never get them to seat. i think the companies that sell these tires stack them on top of each other, flattening them. i wish you the best of luck, and have been patiently waiting for some one to complete this mod. eventually i want to do the same to mine.

i don't think the wheels are ugly at all. Wink

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #57 - 02/12/09 at 04:15:06

Well...the rims do not say tubeless and the gs microfiche calls for tubes so...i really don't know if this is going to work the way I had intended. Any tips on seating the bead? Any reason these wheels couldnt be used tubeless? I never even imagined anyone would make cast wheels that take tubes. Whats the point?

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #58 - 02/12/09 at 04:50:51

i usually have to take mine to a tire place, but then again i've never tried to put tubeless tires on a rim thats supposed to use tubes.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #59 - 02/12/09 at 05:51:27

Well thats the weird part about all this. Apparently I'm SUPPOSED to use tubes but according to former forum member Onederer he was able to use these same wheels without tubes. I wish he were still around so he could share his secret or so i could call him out for being full of it. If this doesn't work Im going to have the spokes sealed. Who was it here that had their wheels sealed by wheel works?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 09:18:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Whale

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.