Send Topic Print
Broken Teeth (Read 282 times)
Darren
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Broken Teeth
03/09/08 at 17:39:38

Hi, thanks to those members that pointed me in the right direction after I asked about an annoying engine noise last week. I stripped the bike down this weekend and sure enough the cam chain tensioner's plunger was way, way out.

I took the opportunity to drop the left side cover off the engine too - and found another problem. The starter clutch driven gear ring (the large one mounted behind the alternator) has 4 missing teeth. One at roughly each quarter circumference of the gear wheel. One tooth was immediately found in the alternator assembly but as yet the other three are awol.

Does anyone know what is likely to have caused this problem? The only thing I can add is that the exhaust valve lifter cable was broken when I got the bike - I don't know if thats relevant though.

Cheers all

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Broken Teeth
Reply #1 - 03/09/08 at 22:29:04

maybe..if the timing ckt for the decomp solenoid is out..or the solenoid
dont know why the cable broke got a manual??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 03/09/08 at 22:58:33

Great, you can fix it before it gotcha.

Betcha those broken teeth corespond to TDC compression.

Without the decompression working properly, there's too much work for the starter and possibly the gears broke instead.

Get a manual, get it fixed.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 03/10/08 at 05:53:19

If you do a simple search on starter teeth broken or starter teeth or teeth broken, you'll come up with the starter teeth broken thread which, in turn, leads to the Stop The Backlash Thread and the Antiklack Plans.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 03/10/08 at 08:24:16

For sure look into the backlash issue as yours is an '88

IP Logged
Darren
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/10/08 at 11:29:05

Hi all, once again thanks for the input - spot on info again! Seems these bikes have an awful lot more errrr, Character than you might expect from a Japanese motor!

I live a stones throw away from one of the largest bike breakers in the UK - they have a complete starter clutch assembly available off the shelf - $150 (£75). Ouch, fixing the camchain, top end oil leak and now this will mean I have spent as much on repairs as I spent on the bike to begin with! I guess the moral of the story is (ebay) buyer beware! Still at least this is one bike that failed to cause any foul language whilst I was doing the spanner monkey impression!

Cheers

Daz

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #6 - 03/10/08 at 12:13:56

Yes, but the very good things about this bike, is you don't really need to be a master mechanic to work on them and keep them running. And when they are running, you have a LOT of fun with them. But beware, once the modifying bug bites you, it will be almost impossible to stop thinking of the next thing to do with it.  Wink Smiley Wink

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Darren
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 03/10/08 at 13:54:11

Funny you should mention that, I have already started thinking about a shortened rear fender, single sprung seat and dropping all the electrics into the airbox.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #8 - 03/10/08 at 14:29:11

Darren wrote on 03/10/08 at 11:29:05:
Hi all, once again thanks for the input - spot on info again! Seems these bikes have an awful lot more errrr, Character than you might expect from a Japanese motor!

I live a stones throw away from one of the largest bike breakers in the UK - they have a complete starter clutch assembly available off the shelf - $150 (£75). Ouch, fixing the camchain, top end oil leak and now this will mean I have spent as much on repairs as I spent on the bike to begin with! I guess the moral of the story is (ebay) buyer beware! Still at least this is one bike that failed to cause any foul language whilst I was doing the spanner monkey impression!

Cheers

Daz
she 20 years old... Wink

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Darren
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/10/08 at 15:13:59

True - and for a twenty year old Jap bike it really could be a lot worse and a lot less stylish!

Daz

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 03/10/08 at 17:07:25

But,  now you have a bike that you know what's inside.  

I bought an ebay special , a 2001 rolling frame with a dead engine(engine in pieces in boxes).   Well, when I went to buy a used head, the slavage yard (Breaker??) asked if I wanted to buy the entire '87 engine for $450, or the head for $200.  I thought about it and then asked the guy at the yard, what would he do.   He looked at me and said, if your planning on keeping the bike, rebuild it, you'll know what you have....     Cool

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 03/11/08 at 11:30:18

What year did this cease to be an issue? The backlash thing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 03/11/08 at 12:17:38

'96 in USA, may have been when went to 5 speed worldwide.

WWW   IP Logged
Darren
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/11/08 at 16:40:06

Yes - Salvage Yard = Breaker and I agree, I now know whats what and whats not with that engine which is a good thing when you are on 2 wheels.

My German is pretty poor but I found the thread to their anti backlash discussion an interesting one. Hows about this for a (lo-fi) fix..... junk the decompressor solenoid and attach the valve lifter to a manual control on the bars. Very retro! I fashioned a new solenoid cable out of a spare mountain bike brake cable, the outer would have been plenty long enough to route to the bars.

Just a thought - and it would help simplify the wiring for choppers, along with junking the side stand cut out switch and the clutch lever switch!

TTFN

Daz

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #14 - 03/12/08 at 07:52:00

Darren wrote on 03/11/08 at 16:40:06:
My German is pretty poor but I found the thread to their anti backlash discussion an interesting one. Hows about this for a (lo-fi) fix..... junk the decompressor solenoid and attach the valve lifter to a manual control on the bars. Very retro! I fashioned a new solenoid cable out of a spare mountain bike brake cable, the outer would have been plenty long enough to route to the bars.

Just a thought - and it would help simplify the wiring for choppers, along with junking the side stand cut out switch and the clutch lever switch!

TTFN

Daz

My German is slightly better. They have 3 solutions to the problem
1) Manual with a cable and the old style valvelifter handle!
2) 12volts via a pushbutton straight to the solenoid ( the Ebi taster)!
3) The Decomodule or anti-backlash device. An electronic means of energizing the solenoid on engine shut-down. This is added to the existing wiring.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:22:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Broken Teeth

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.