Savage Savage (Read 533 times)
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Savage Savage
11/15/07 at 08:17:11

Two days ago my wife and I drove the 160 miles from Rome to Naples to pick up my ... slightly reworked  Wink Savage.

New reground cam, new camchain, Verslagen's cam chain tensioner, new carb (Mikuni BST40) restored by Lancer, new air filter, and Sportster muffler...

...in a word,  8)

I went for a test ride... I felt like Yosemite Sam, all I could say was [glow=red,2,300]Whoah, horsie, whoah !!! [/glow]
Man, is she a FAST bike, now ! She just BEGS to have more gas !!!  Grin

...but, by the end of the first mile, the tacho had gone dead ...  Roll Eyes Tongue Embarrassed ...
...not nice...

Filled up, but the petc0ck will only work in PRIME...
I returned from the test ride:
..."the new carb does not have a vacuum pickup for the  
petc0ck"  Angry

I asked for the papers...
...what? No DOT Test ?  Angry
And why is the tacho dead ?  Angry Angry
And why ... snap! ... is the clutch cable broken ? Angry Angry Angry

In a nutshell, I left the bike with them, angry as H#LL, extremely irritated that I had wasted one day off from my job only to return empty handed, AND spent 350 miles' worth of fuel and turnpike money for nothing !!!

BUT

Hoping that next week the weather will improve (I don't like riding semislicks in the rain/dark) I'll keep you posted !

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: Savage Savage
Reply #1 - 11/15/07 at 08:41:44

Maurizio,

How does that Carly Siomon song go,

"Anticipation, anticipation
Is making me late
Is keeping me waiting....."

see: http://www.lyricsfreak.com/c/carly+simon/anticipation_20027226.html

You have had a small taste of the Savage.   A touch of power......now you will be counting the days until you can truly have it to play with.

sognare...........

TMack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #2 - 11/15/07 at 10:23:09

Sorry to hear about your aggrivation mpescatori ... but take heart amici, you will Ride your uncorked Beast soon ... and the wait will be like waiting for Christmas!

Ciao! Grin

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 11/15/07 at 13:01:42

Beware the  [glow=red,2,300]SAVAGE BEAST ! [/glow]

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 11/15/07 at 16:12:43

Quote:

New reground cam ( Grin ), new camchain, Verslagen's cam chain tensioner, new carb (Mikuni BST40) restored by Lancer ( Grin ), new air filter, and Sportster muffler...

all I could say was [glow=red,2,300]Whoah, horsie, whoah !!! [/glow]
Man, is she a FAST bike, now ! She just BEGS to have more gas !!!  Grin

I am so sorry of the wasted time and money and especially the aggravation  since it was not truly ready for you to ride home.  The shop should have done the test ride [color=-blue]BEFORE [/color]you arrived to pick it up.

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #5 - 11/15/07 at 18:56:28

Yes, it's a pain getting your bike back and running well.  But when you do, just hop a boat

that can carry your bike

to Sardinia

Where you can ride great roads to world class scenic spots

Prehistoric sites

and picturesque rest stops

Yeah, I'm jealous!  I wanna go back! I wanna eat my way across Sardinia!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 11/15/07 at 20:26:32

I see you have a woman there with you ...  Wink

IP Logged
Violent_Rage

Burp!

Trento - Italy
Reply #7 - 11/16/07 at 00:26:59

ugly experience indeed!

but...

You have many good reasons to hope in better days!  Grin

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #8 - 11/19/07 at 01:38:31

4 8 1 good reasons...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Violent_Rage

Burp!

Trento - Italy
Reply #9 - 11/20/07 at 08:54:12

LOL

without cents?  Grin

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #10 - 11/20/07 at 11:17:07

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
I see you have a woman there with you ...  Wink

Not only that - she is wearing LEATHER PANTS!
You go drharveys!  8)

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #11 - 12/03/07 at 06:06:14

Well, I got her home, at last ...  Smiley

Last Saturday was the first day with decent weather, and according to all the internet weather sites I know the only day of decent weather for much more yet.

So it was go or no go. It was GO ! So I go-ed... er, went  Wink

Wifey and I drove the 250 Km from Rome to Naples, beautiful day, 1 December, perky winter day, you could see birdies flying and tiny clouds up high in the sky and polar bears sunbathing and... was that an omen for a cold day?

Well, we got to Naples by noon (shop open on Saturday until 1 pm) so I happily collected my bike, checked and double checked that all the wrongs had been righted, and that none of the rights had been lefted (you know, like when you go to have one thing fixed and when you pick up the bike another's broke in the meantime? Angry)
all seemed OK, so I gunned her up and drove off towards the Navy Support Area
(only KFC for the next 1000 miles !!!)

...but once I got there, with the bike running sweet as a cherry, I noticed the head was leaking nice yellowish oily stuff... oil ? It was too late to return to the shop, what's worse it was my second time all the way to Naples and I really really did NOT want to leave her down there again, so I swiped the oil away with a greasy rag (you'd never expect the nice, clean rag to stay clean after wiping the engine, would you?) and off we went to feed on deep fried avians  8)

3:30 pm, time to head home, it'll be a long ride and the sun sets waaay too soon in the winter ... so off I went, wifey staying "just a little bit longer" ...

4pm, check through the highway toll booth, fill up to the brim, and away I go.
I steady on some 4500 rpm by the tach, some 110 Km/h (70mph), comfy, wind pushes back but I can handle it, but the traffic is going faster, well, not so fast, actually not very fast at all, hey, I'm overtaking a few, but the headwind is murder...
HEY !!! I thought I had settled on 4500 rpm, I was doing 5500 !!! that's close to 130Km/h, almost 80mph !!!  Shocked
Slow down kid !!!

So I slow down and settle back to 4500 rpm, engine baritones like Pavarotti bellowing out his best mouthwash  Grin and the bike is really sweet, goes like a million bucks  8)

By 4:45 I reach the summit of a (small) mountain pass, it's only 600 meters above sea level, like 1800ft+, but the sun is setting and it's really damp and clammy and the cold is slowly making its way into my gloves... knees... and those two other verry precious things which are +/- the same altitude as my knees but would like to be kept warmer...

at around 5pm I reach a service station, pull over, and I'm surprised I only have one hand left... my cold clammy left hand struggling to release the throttle twist grip from steely claws that simply will NOT release !

Hey, I need something hot here (coffee, I mean... what were you guys thinking Wink)

I eventually decide against having anything to drink, cold as it is I'll certainly process the excess liquids waaay before the sugar does any good... so I fill up again, 4 litres for the last 75 Km, that's 18.75 Km/litre (mpg???)  not bad if I say so myself , and I'm off !

Chuggachuggachug... ??? the petc0ck! Twist it back to PRIME
(there's no vacuum pipe on the new carb, remember?  Sad)  and I'm off again.

It's pitch black, penguins hitchhiking but none of them have a helmet so I'm not picking anyone up...
Maybe I'm having visions... Roll Eyes
Maybe it IS a mite too cold...
Maybe, if I could feel any of my two fingers of the right claw...
Maybe, if only my knees would stop flapping incessantly...
Maybe, if only I can make it to the top of the next hill... and another one... maybe, the next one...

[glow=red,2,300]ROMA 1 Km [/glow]
Shocked
8)
Cheesy
I made it !
I actually made it !!!
I eventually merged into Saturday night metropolitan traffic, which in Rome isn't any different from L.A. ...
And then took the exit where a large neon was flashing
[glow=red,2,300]HOME, THIS WAY [/glow]
(no it wasn't, but I had my autopilot on by then  Wink)
until a matt black, debadged bobber growled its way into the condo park, scaring all the cats away and setting off a few car alarms  Grin

I slowly eased myself off the bike, pried my now deep-frozen fingers off the 'bars, and slowly paced my way home...

I must have used up a week's worth of hot water under that shower, and I was still feeling cold...
PS Wifey was having such a good time that she got home a full hour behind me...

Bike's now soundly sleeping in the garage, and I'm waiting for the weather to improve...  8)

No more polar rides for me this year !!!  8)

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

mpescatori   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #12 - 12/03/07 at 06:59:41

75 km/4L = 44.105 mpg

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 12/03/07 at 14:59:35

Wow, congrat's on getting your machine home in fine fashion.

I have had several notable rides during the FREEZE SEASON and  totally understand the extended shower in an effort to restore the body's core temperature.

It is great to hear that it is running so well, that 4500-5500 rpm range is the sweetest spot for the cam so it is no surprise that it crept up on you like that.  Just wait till you get a chance to open the throttle up.    Grin

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #14 - 12/03/07 at 16:00:33

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Wow, congrat's on getting your machine home in fine fashion.

I have had several notable rides during the FREEZE SEASON and  totally understand the extended shower in an effort to restore the body's core temperature.

It is great to hear that it is running so well, that 4500-5500 rpm range is the sweetest spot for the cam so it is no surprise that it crept up on you like that.  Just wait till you get a chance to open the throttle up.    Grin
so how would one up the mpg rating???

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:17:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.