Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Savage Stereo (Read 302 times)
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Savage Stereo
03/09/08 at 09:09:47

Has anyone tried to put a stereo system on a savage?
I'm thinking of mounting a pair of these speakers with a car stereo I got at a local electronics store.
http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=SPS-507
I'll put the stereo in one of these tank bags so I have access to it when stopped.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MotoPak-GT-MINI-Expandable-Magnetic-Tank-Bag-N...

What do you guys think?

IP Logged
nervekiler

ridin in the rain

vancouver, wa
Re: Savage Stereo
Reply #1 - 03/09/08 at 09:22:29

we put a few stereos on bikes a year at my work.

the last i can recall we put a marine quality stereo in the bottom of a saddlebag and then ran a wired remote (made for the clarion marine stereo) to a holder we fabricated which mounts to the handlebars.

speakers we used were smaller marine quality speakers as well.. also mounted in the same holder the remote control went in.

sorry i do not have pictures it was a rush job customer could only leave his bike for one day and fabbing up the mount system took a lot of elbow grease and paint and sanding.

the speakers you posted are great speakers.. however they are not marine quality so be very careful about using the motorcycle if its raining at all. (we have a big problem with that here in portland.. haha)
and one suggestion.. if you do end up using the alpine type S.. its easier to fit a 5 1/4 or 6 1/2" speaker than it is to fit a irregular shaped speaker such as the 5x7 you posted a link to.

ill ask brandon (the installer who fabbed the bike) if he has any pics he took of the finished mount.. i dont think he does but ill ask on monday when i see him at work again.

Frank T. Cartoys jantzen beach

97 savage 650 - HD pipes, carb spacer mod, idle screw adjusted, 152.5/55 jets, K&N air filter, big crank battery, chopped up a bit
WWW dirtbikehero mryummm   IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #2 - 03/09/08 at 09:40:42

Thanks a lot for the response. I was thinking about marine speakers but found them to be too expensive for the quality. The mounting will be tricky with the 5x7 speakers, but I'll figure it out...Because these aren't waterproof speakers, I'll make them waterproof by taping the back with electrical tape and putting a waterproof grill on them. I almost never ride in the rain unless I ABSOLUTELY have to, in which case, I'll just take the speakers off before I ride...

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 03/09/08 at 15:51:40

i have a uniqcycle(see the web site)system on my 06..I use either my mp3 w/fm tuner or cd walkman..the mp3 mounts to the risers w/armband and i wear the walkman(onlt 60 sec anti skip not enuff for on the handle bars) sounds good fly screen helps wish i would of asked for the deeper speaker housings W/ lil more bottom end..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Jonny_Chicago
Serious Thumper

Nazis, f**k off!

Chicago, IL
Reply #4 - 03/09/08 at 17:42:43

Uniqcycle.com

Best system out there

IP Logged
nervekiler

ridin in the rain

vancouver, wa
Reply #5 - 03/09/08 at 19:58:39

i will still caution against 5x7 as it is a specialty ford speaker size. to waterproof a speaker you will have to keep water from getting inside the opening near the dustcap (where the tweeter sticks out on a coaxle). also, 5x7 speakers often times do not come with grills.

now a 4" speaker would be a good choice.

just checked out uniqcycle... looks like a great product.

and just in case you are wondering sound quality difference between the alpine type s and the speakers shown on the website...
well if you were to put your own speakers on you will have to build a baffle to get good midbass out of them... on a motorcycle well lets just say its not gonna happen unless you build a cabinet to put them in which will require lots of space. better off to go with those cheapo speakers they sell in the kids from that website (yes i did say cheap those pioneer speakers go for about $50/pair).. its the mounting system that costs money in this case.
i dont think you will notice much difference between either speaker. the pioneers will distort more at higher volume levels but depending on what amp/source you decide to use.. you might not even get that much power to the pioneers to make them distort.

97 savage 650 - HD pipes, carb spacer mod, idle screw adjusted, 152.5/55 jets, K&N air filter, big crank battery, chopped up a bit
JakeB

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

NE Ohio
Reply #6 - 03/09/08 at 20:09:44

How about headphones in your helmet and an mp3 player in your pocket? Wink

JakeB

IP Logged
joebothehobo

Ride like a ghost.

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #7 - 03/09/08 at 20:31:25

I'm pretty sure wearing earphones is illegal, at least in california.

'91 Suzuki GS500E
'98 Subaru Outback.
Robertomoe is my bro.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #8 - 03/09/08 at 22:02:50

joebothehobo wrote on 03/09/08 at 20:31:25:
I'm pretty sure wearing earphones is illegal, at least in california.

Yeah, but that don't stop idiots from doing it.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #9 - 03/10/08 at 15:58:34

The reason why I want to go with the alpines is because they go down to 73 hertz, just barely making the cutoff for bass. The cheap pioneer speakers aren't even capable of going that low, no matter what the enclosure. I have a windshield, so hopefully some bass will reverberate from that. Wink

As for waterproofing, I'll buy a 5x7 grille and make sure water can't get in. I'll find a way... Smiley

I looked at the Uniqcycle speaker systems and they're no better than what I will have, except about $150 more expensive...Yea, it may sound good, but I don't think it's worth it.

IP Logged
JakeB

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

NE Ohio
Reply #10 - 03/10/08 at 16:15:53

What's the difference if the noise comes from speakers mounted on the bike, speakers mounted in your ears, and the (also illegal) free flowing aftermarket exhuast that most of us have? They all hinder your ability to hear what is going on around you.

I don't disagree that it is stupid to reduce your awareness while driving anything, especially a motorcycle, just don't know why one way is less stupid than another.

Not trying to fight, just curious.

JakeB

IP Logged
feelinjunky

No Comment

NJ
Reply #11 - 03/10/08 at 16:45:33

You hear outside noises better with speakers. Put headphones in your ears, even without music, you can hear much less than speakers with no music.

IP Logged
tiggerz1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/10/08 at 19:08:21

To seal any connections or likely spots where water might get in why not use candle wax should be fairly pliable when warm and plenty of colours to choose from. Cheesy

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #13 - 03/11/08 at 07:41:34

tiggerz1 wrote on 03/10/08 at 19:08:21:
To seal any connections or likely spots where water might get in why not use candle wax should be fairly pliable when warm and plenty of colours to choose from. Cheesy

brush on liquid electrical tape from auto zone,candle wax is for burning...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
nervekiler

ridin in the rain

vancouver, wa
Reply #14 - 03/11/08 at 17:24:09

you realize if you were to make a grill and cover it with materials like said.. then you will hinder the speakers performance? especially to the point of waterproofing something... walk up to a speaker and put your hand in front of the tweeter.. this is what a 'waterproof" grill will most likely be like.

i dont think arguing with you about which speaker will play lower or sound better is worth either of our time. good luck with those 5x7s.
but just for the record.. if midbass response is your goal then you will absolutely need an enclosure to load the speakers in. and if you need a grill then might as well buy a 6x9 that comes with a grill.

"The cheap pioneer speakers aren't even capable of going that low, no matter what the enclosure."
two weeks ago we made a pretty badass horn enclosure for a 3.5 speaker and you would be amazed at the even frequency response we got from that (yes some "bass" too). unfortunately the horn enclosure was pretty big. useless in our application.

when you end up getting the speakers mounted and wired chime back in and let us know how it turned out.

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:14:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Stereo

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.