Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cone Air Filter Install (Read 350 times)
mung
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cone Air Filter Install
03/04/08 at 09:02:34

Hi I am a new member.  I have an '05 S40 that I bought brand new.  I let it sit too long and got some gunk in the carb so I decided while I had the carb out that I should re-jet it and change out the air filter and muffler.  I have the parts on the way and the filter is a cone filter.  What I want to know is what is the best thing to do with the cone filter?  Remove the air box totally?  Mod the air box?  

I would like to keep the side tins so if I do totally remove the airbox I would have to make some kind of bracket for the tins.

Any pictures of bikes done different ways would be nice to see as well.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Cone Air Filter Install
Reply #1 - 03/04/08 at 11:04:17

Some folks install 'em right on the carb and never touch anything else.  Some remove the airbox.  Some put the cone inside the airbox.  Sluggo posted some recent pics of his rig with a u-turn that flipped the cone around and to the right, I think.  Do some searches and you'll probably come up with pics of a few.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Reply #2 - 03/06/08 at 10:30:20

Heres one way to do it.

IP Logged
mung
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/06/08 at 10:40:16

That looks pretty cool.  What did you use for the tube to make that U?

IP Logged
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Reply #4 - 03/06/08 at 14:12:27

It is a 1 1/2 " black plastic p trap, the kind used for rough plumbing. the side with the flange is 2 1/4" od. Prerfect fit for the filter. I cut the threaded side off leaving three threads. Cut off the rubber thing on the carb to the stock air fillter and put a hose clamp on. It makes a REAL tight fit, and shoudn't need any braces.

However it will be nearly impossible to open the tool box all the way. Haven't found a fix for that yet Undecided

IP Logged
mung
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/06/08 at 17:45:44

Right now I have my tool box cover off because I mounted a socket in there to hook up a solar battery charger to the bike to keep the battery topped off.  So its not a huge deal to me to not put that cover back on.  Maybe I will make something cool to cover it with that will stay out of the way of the filter and still allow me to get to the charge socket.

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 03/06/08 at 18:34:37

Holodeck wrote on 03/06/08 at 10:30:20:

darn, I really like the way that looks!  That is one of the mods I am planning when I finally get around to bobbing mine.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #7 - 03/07/08 at 13:51:54

Holodeck wrote on 03/06/08 at 14:12:27:
It is a 1 1/2 " black plastic p trap, the kind used for rough plumbing. the side with the flange is 2 1/4" od. Prerfect fit for the filter. I cut the threaded side off leaving three threads. Cut off the rubber thing on the carb to the stock air fillter and put a hose clamp on. It makes a REAL tight fit, and shoudn't need any braces.

However it will be nearly impossible to open the tool box all the way. Haven't found a fix for that yet Undecided

Can you route it out the left side? Then the tool box would be clear. Just a thought.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Reply #8 - 03/07/08 at 15:05:36

I just took a quick look and I think the side cover is in the way.

BTW I looked for a long time to find something that would work and this about all I could come up with.

And.... in IMHO, the right side is her best side. Smiley

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #9 - 03/07/08 at 16:46:02

If you went to the left, might the U  pod interfer with access to the "choke" knob?

IP Logged
texassavage95
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 08/26/08 at 11:36:26

That looks killer Holodeck, I think I am going to do this as well. Just a thought, couldn't you use the inside of you old airbox as your new toolbox?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:35:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cone Air Filter Install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.