Send Topic Print
Gas tank capacity? (Read 457 times)
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Re: Gas tank capacity?
Reply #15 - 03/10/08 at 22:56:56

I dont think it should be a problem. Those with more experience would know better than me.

It's deceiving because "On" only runs when the bike is running, so when it's off, the On becomes off....I guess

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Savage Chick

Ride Free!

Greenville, SC
Reply #16 - 03/10/08 at 23:09:57

that's totally confusing...yet I get it.  Grin

Thanks.  Roll Eyes

Savage Chick
(Tammy)
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #17 - 03/11/08 at 03:08:36

The way the petcock works is considered a "safety" feature.  Old style bikes with on-off petcocks, are easy to oops and forget to switch it off.  Which, due to the imperfect real world, can lead to the carb overflowing.  The vacuum triggered action of our petcock is suppose to stop that forgetfulness.  Huh

But........  if the bike sits long enough the gas can evaporate out of the carb.  When starting in this condition, the vacuum switch doesn't stay open long enough to get gas in the carb fuel bowl.  Thus, there is the PRI or 'prime' postion to flow fuel into the carb before starting.  Flow it for a little then switch to on.

In the ON position, there is a small tube that raises the inlet up a bit so that when riding and you get to that level and "run out" of fuel, you can switch to RES (reserve) and have 0.6 gallons to get to a gas station.

The "run out" of fuel manifests itself two ways. In "city" stop & go driving, you will notice the idle RPM's dropping, then just a couple of minutes later you will start to have the "blah" no power when hitting the throttle, and/or  a bucking or mis-fire condition.   On highway cruising, you go right to the Blah/bucking/ mis-fire.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #18 - 03/11/08 at 05:42:49

and it can run out at the most inoppertune times..like cutting into traffic.  You should consider stopping for fuel at each 100 miles travelled.  Some folks use a counter, i try to stop each time the odometer clicks another 100 miles travelled.  Have fun.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #19 - 03/11/08 at 06:06:34

Savage Chick wrote on 03/10/08 at 21:51:07:
Dad ... wanted it on PRI...he won...  Lips Sealed   ... Will I have problems??....
The carb has to have some sort of mechanism to stop gasoline flow, else it would be flooding all the time.  If this mechanism leaks slightly it makes no matter while running, but will flood while sitting.  Leaving on PRI might cause gasoline leakage if the carb is slighly faulty.  Otherwise, the big problem with running on ON with the REServe available is that you will not run the tank completely dry and you will never know what your actual tank capacity is.  

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 03/11/08 at 07:17:33

Paladin. wrote on 03/11/08 at 06:06:34:
 Otherwise, the big problem with running on ON with the REServe available is that you will not run the tank completely dry and you will never know what your actual tank capacity is.  

Running in the "On" position, you will have reserve so that when you run out of gas in the "On" position, you don't have to push your bike to the nearest gas station.

WWW   IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #21 - 03/11/08 at 12:05:43

so Im wondering, why couldn't the ON feature run just like the RES and suck the last drops, or is it a safety feature so you know that you're low on gas?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 03/11/08 at 12:21:57

It depends on how far do you want to push your bike?
If you got a gas station on every block and can coast up to a pump upon luck, then remove the plastic screen from your petcock and let us know how it works for you.

WWW   IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #23 - 03/11/08 at 14:15:13

OK, here's what a two-cylinder bike sounds like when one cylinder is full of gas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HDp32VFMsI

The Hyosung has no petcock, but a vacuum operated gas switch.  The diaphragm failed on a regular basis, and when it did, one cylinder would fill with gas.  Not only did this make it hard to start, but it would pee a bunch of liquid gas right in front of the rear tire.  This produced interesting handling characteristics, as well as a bit of a fire hazard.

That's the bike I traded in on the Savage!

I made the video to show my dealer what the problem was.  By the time I would trailer the bike 90 miles to him, the fuel switch would jiggle enough to work.  Then, once I got it back home, the problem would pop up again.

If the Savage vacuum switch ever fails, this board has a number of threads telling how to make the petcock manual!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Savage Chick

Ride Free!

Greenville, SC
Reply #24 - 03/11/08 at 15:01:01

thanks guys for all the great info!!

Savage Chick
(Tammy)
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #25 - 03/11/08 at 18:43:49

If you want to drain your tank completely and pick up an extra half pint or so of fuel....

REMOVE YOUR TANK SCREEN COMPLETELY!

Makes for some interesting "Paladin-like" experiences.   Grin

Pushed my bike 2 miles to the next gas station before I implemented my "lock system" trip odometer   Cheesy

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #26 - 03/11/08 at 18:49:15

Savage Chick wrote on 03/10/08 at 21:51:07:
Since I posted the above message I went ahead and moved the manual file to my laptop and was reading it. Ran out the door, and moved the switch. It's been sitting like that for about 5 hours though. :'( Will I have problems??

Provided that the float, needle, and seat is functioning properly on your carb, you will not have any problems at all.  When I bought my '82 suzy, the petcock was malfunctioning and had been left on prime.  The needle seat was bad as well, and I ended up with a crankcase full of gas.  Fortunately, I got a whiff of gas when I opened the oil cap and knew to change the oil.  You should be just fine, but if you are really paranoid, you might want to take a sniff at your oil fill hole.  If you smell gas, change the oil and filter and plan on replacing your needle and seat in your carb .

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 10:16:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas tank capacity?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.