Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Noise when i give the bike gas (Read 8 times)
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Noise when i give the bike gas
03/02/08 at 20:10:54

i noticed today while out riding my bike started making a small sqealing noise when i gave it gas to take off not sure what that could be really weird if you ask me i'ts not real loud but i started noticing it after riding for about 3 hours

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
crimsonhand1977   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: Noise when i give the bike gas
Reply #1 - 03/03/08 at 06:58:24

Sounds like your belt does not have tthe proper tension or there's some movement of the rear belt pulley. Try rocking the rear belt pulley, if you can the rubber dampers inside the pulley are worn.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/04/08 at 04:04:11

If the rubber is worn you can shim it up with pieces of inner tube.

Talc helps with the squeak. I have also used Guld canning wax, but it does sling on the wheel & it's kinda nasty. I cant see the wheel when I ride, but I can hear the belt, so I dont sweat the wax buildup.
If you are using the brass belt tensioner adjusting tool, the belt is too tight. If the tension is set so the belt will twist 90 degrees 1/2 way between the front & rear pulleys, using one hand & not breaking a sweat. Anyone in the fifth grade should be stout enough.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #3 - 03/06/08 at 09:59:55

Sometimes mine will do the same thing.  It will only do it when it is wet and cold.  A little candle wax does the trick for me.  My belt is a little tight (adjusted at the dealership), so I am going to fix that this week when I have a few days off without a "honey do" list.

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #4 - 03/06/08 at 12:09:16

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/04/08 at 04:04:11:
If the rubber is worn you can shim it up with pieces of inner tube.

Talc helps with the squeak. I have also used Guld canning wax, but it does sling on the wheel & it's kinda nasty. I cant see the wheel when I ride, but I can hear the belt, so I dont sweat the wax buildup.
If you are using the brass belt tensioner adjusting tool, the belt is too tight. If the tension is set so the belt will twist 90 degrees 1/2 way between the front & rear pulleys, using one hand & not breaking a sweat. Anyone in the fifth grade should be stout enough.

I used a bar of soap on the edges of the belt.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Reply #5 - 03/06/08 at 21:24:44

i will try the bar soap or candlewax method this weekend see what that does the first few times i rode the savage it was really dry and warm out and it didn't do it this last time when i noticed the noise it was around 45 degrees outside and snow had been melting so i ran through alot of water . A guy i work with had me worrying saying the gears might be going bad which i hope is not the case .

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
crimsonhand1977   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:16:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Noise when i give the bike gas

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.