Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
After Installing New Slip On Muffler.. (Read 19 times)
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
After Installing New Slip On Muffler..
02/29/08 at 21:28:13

How will i know if i need to rejet what signs should i be looking for and if i do need to what size jets do i need ? I haven't really gotten the chance to really ride the bike since the aftermarket muffler install just up and down the street so far it seems fine it fires right up like before , no backfires and seems to run decent so far sunday i think i am gonna be able to really ride it as long as the weather holds up so i was wondering what i will need to be looking for to know if i need to rejet while i am out and what size jets or jet i need and where to get it if i do . Thanks .

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
crimsonhand1977   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: After Installing New Slip On Muffler..
Reply #1 - 02/29/08 at 22:09:47

what after market muffler did you use?

IP Logged
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Reply #2 - 02/29/08 at 22:22:16

used a 75 dollar 3 inch turned out slip on from jc whitney i believe the brand is motoasia

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 02/29/08 at 22:28:25

US bike right?

don't know about that exhaust - so let's assume stock jet and a SEII turnout - the bike has a 145 main - it needs to be a 147.5 or a 150 without an exhaust change depending on altitude - freeflow exhaust - add 1 size - so a 150-152.5 main

a lot of doc is written on carb tune link in the tech section -

have you pulled the brass mixture plug?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 03/01/08 at 07:38:53

Definitely read the tech section.

The short answer, if it backfires richen it up, if it belches black smoke lean it up, if the pipe starts to turn blue, it's a tad lean, if the sparkplug is black in the center it's a tad rich, if it's white, it's a tad lean.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 03/01/08 at 08:09:59

Quote:
How will i know if i need to rejet what signs should i be looking for  

Signs that you need to rejet....   too lean and things get hot, so you may start to see bluing of the pipes.  Too rich and you get carbon build up and black smoke.  

Most people believe too rich is better than too lean (myself included).   Too Lean things can actually get heat damage.  To rich causes fouling eventually, but that can be cleaned.....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Reply #6 - 03/02/08 at 20:06:19

ok guys i rode the bike for about 100 miles today ran great only things i noticed is it made a small popping noise if i shifted too fast and backfired if i decelerated too fast and it's not bluing but it does have like a brown discoloration at the head of the muffler so do i need to rejet or just mess with the air mixture screw and white spacer ? other than that the bike has great throttle response and runs great i had it up to 96 miles an hour before it started shakin a little

T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #7 - 03/03/08 at 09:31:15

Cory wrote on 03/02/08 at 20:06:19:
ok guys i rode the bike for about 100 miles today ran great only things i noticed is it made a small popping noise if i shifted too fast and backfired if i decelerated too fast and it's not bluing but it does have like a brown discoloration at the head of the muffler so do i need to rejet or just mess with the air mixture screw and white spacer ? other than that the bike has great throttle response and runs great i had it up to 96 miles an hour before it started shakin a little

Is the brown new??  If so, then it's the start of the bluing.  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Reply #8 - 03/06/08 at 21:19:17

yeah the brown is new but there is 2 things i have noticed since that might play a factor and one is when i pulled the exhaust off there was no gasket at the beginning of the head pipe i don't know if it has burned away or someone removed it and never put one back on it because when i got the bike the stock muffler had bluing all over it the other thing i noticed now is that the slip on muffler i put on it is all chrome not chrome plated it's a really thin muffler so that could maybe affect the discoloration too maybe ? i am gonna put a gasket back on the bike and mess with the air mixture screw and possibly cut down the white washer and see what happens . if you think that will take care of it i feel like i am gonna have to buy another muffler and don't want to put alot of money in one .

Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #9 - 03/07/08 at 08:46:31

The header gasket goes inside the head not on the pipe itself, did you check to see if it was in there?

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Reply #10 - 03/07/08 at 09:00:25

yeah i checked it is not there

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:13:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › After Installing New Slip On Muffler..

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.