Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Muffler Too Close to Brake Cable ? (Read 154 times)
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Muffler Too Close to Brake Cable ?
02/26/08 at 20:22:56

Hello everyone i am a fairly new bike rider about a year now but i recently put a 27 inch turned out slip on muffler on my 2000 savage and i gotta tell you i love the sound it's deep and very loud and it bolted right up only problem i see is the muffler is just a few hair lengths away from the rear brake cable it's not touching but very close to it my concern is will this harm the brake cable will it cause it to warp will it melt it will it interfere with my braking at all ? and if so does anyone have any ideas of how to prevent it or what i can do to fix this issue . thanks . Undecided

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
crimsonhand1977   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: Muffler Too Close to Brake Cable ?
Reply #1 - 02/26/08 at 20:34:16

Wrong place for questions but the answer is. The best installation uses a approx 10" adapter, bet about 5 deg., of 1 3/4 exhaust tubing swedged to fit the head pipe and muffler. This moves the muffler away from the cable and directs the heat away from the rear brake lever arm. Cost varies from free to $20 at a muffler shop or place that has a muffler tubing bending equipment. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Reply #2 - 02/27/08 at 08:22:39

Take the brake lever off, turn it over and bolt it back up.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 02/27/08 at 10:42:17

I had an adapter piece similar to the one Max described made at a local muffler shop for $10.  Takes 'em 5 minutes.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #4 - 02/27/08 at 10:50:33

If it's anything like my turn-out, you will be fine.  The heat by where the turn out is no where near what will affect a metal wire.

Also, I think it's the Sportster pipes that need the little extension.  Dyna's bolt up with only worry being the gasket at the slip-on joint.

see my post at:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?;action=display;num=1190410150

PS: don't want to hear about the heat shield.  It covers the blue'ing at the single wall area.

« Last Edit: 02/27/08 at 11:55:13 by T Mack 1 - FSO »  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Reply #5 - 02/27/08 at 20:49:18

thanks guys i tried to put a picture on here showing you guys how close it is but i couldn't get it to upload the muffler i put on it is a 27 inch turned out i bought from jc whitney for 72 bucks it's got a little less than a half an inch clearing from the cable if you can help me get my photo posted on here it would prolly help you guys out but you all have been very helpful so far i guess i am just over paranoid

2000 Savage , Ebc Brakes , HD Dyna Muffler , Diamond Grips , Diamond Mirrors , Leather Saddlebags
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 02/28/08 at 09:02:11

Send the pict in an email to me (hit the email button below) and I'll see if I can post it.

Did you look at pict's in my link?  I'm about a half inch too......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Cory

Ride Hard Or Stay
Home

OHIO
Reply #7 - 02/28/08 at 09:44:39

yes i checked your pics out Mack and your bike looks great , also you have about the same clearance as me only difference my muffler is a little longer but other than that pretty much the same so i' d say if it's been fine for you it will be fine for me thanks so much

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:20:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Muffler Too Close to Brake Cable ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.