Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TDC on Compression Stroke (Read 52 times)
Dark Savage
YaBB Newbies

Austin, TX
TDC on Compression Stroke
02/28/08 at 07:08:09

I successfully adjusted my valves for the first time on Sat. WooHoo!

Anyway, there has been much discussion about how to find "Top Dead Center on Compression". It seems to me though that the simplest method to find the compression stroke is to feel when a ton of air is getting blown out the spark plug hole. I removed the timing inspection cover and the spark plug. I stuck my finger down the rabbit hole and covered the spark plug hole so I could feel when the air in the cylinder was being compressed. When I could no longer hold the air in the cylinder I knew I was on the compression stroke. I then aligned the timing marks on the flywheel bolt and crankcase. Done! "TDCC"! This seems so simple to me. Is there a problem with doing it this way other than the fact that not everyone's fingers are as long as mine?

IP Logged
bike-fixer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: TDC on Compression Stroke
Reply #1 - 02/28/08 at 09:01:20

I watch the movement of the valves. When the intake valve goes shut, the next time the timing mark shows TDC, you're home.
BTW, when removing the spark plug, I back it out about half way then vigorously apply compressed air to the sparkplug well. This is to remove any dirt or gravel down there that might find it's way into the cylinder. Then take the plug all the way out.

Bike fixer

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 22:23:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › TDC on Compression Stroke

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.