Send Topic Print
Timing chain install (Read 181 times)
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Timing chain install
02/25/08 at 08:37:19

Okay, here's the deal. I ordered and got my super timing chain so I can feel better about starting out on the second 20,000 miles on my 650 Hawg. Other than the internal clatter that I've heard from it since I got it, the motor still runs strong; no back talk to speak of, no smoke, no starting problems (once I tightened the battery cable), spark plug's clean and only needs the top re-gasketed about every 7k miles or so. Since everything inside seems to be doing it's job the way it's supposed to I feel it shouldn't be messed with.

My question is:
- drum roll -

Am I going to be able to change out the chain without disassembling major engine parts. I don't want to be messing with head gaskets, major timing issues . . . anything that will alter how well the bike has been running for me the last couple of years since I got it.

I'm not afraid of the work, 'cause once you've taken a big ol' Chevy 396 apart and gotten it back together with only a few extra parts left over, you can know no fear. I just want to be ready to ride when there's less snow in the road than there is in my hair. So I want to know that if I'm real careful about nothing moving around, is it going to be possible to get the old chain off and the new one on with maybe only a  gentle retiming at most  to be taken care of?

Jack

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Timing chain install
Reply #1 - 02/25/08 at 09:53:47

If you can deal with the 396, the zuki is a piece O cake. An impact really makes it a lot easier. Get a manual & get with it. Some folks use pennies between the gears, I used a belt, its all good. The cam timing is easy, just make sure the crank stays where its sposed to & check it before you set the cam.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 02/25/08 at 11:36:33

You should have no major issues with it.  I can say that 100% confidence because I did it 5k ago.  Follow directions, ask questions when you need to, and take long breaks to rest and review before taking on the next step.  Plan on needing more parts.

WWW   IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #3 - 02/25/08 at 15:35:01

its harder to get the motor out and back in than it is to change the chain.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #4 - 02/25/08 at 16:03:01

See now, here's what you're not getting. I don't want to take the motor out. I want it to be like on a Ford or Chevy, at least in the old days. You pull the fan, water pump, the crank pully, a couple of tin covers and - voila! There's the chain. I'm feeling a boo-hoo coming on here. I read the book and had hopes of some slick little trick that only you guys would know that just involved standing on my head while doing a hoola-hoop on one foot in the air to get this done.

Everything's running so nicely I really don't want to mess it up. But, I also want to do another 4k-6k mile run this summer and am not sure I want to trust a chain that's got at least 21k on it out in the wilds. Not making my day here.

Jack

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 02/25/08 at 16:20:01

I have a '99 and I did not have to yank the motor.  It was relatively simple, although I would recommend a good torque wrench that works well in the 8ft/lb range.  I had an el-cheapo that ended up turning off the heads of two bolts on the top end.  However, once I decided to pony up the money for a good tool (money on good tools is never misspent), I had no problems.

Jump on it.  You can do it.  I had the Clymers and this site, that was all I needed.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 02/25/08 at 21:48:35

When you pop off the head cover, there's one screw in the center.  And it will be trapped until you get the cover off.  Just remember to put it back on with the cover.  I was more worried about the sealant and forgot.  Took the mounting bolts out and tilted the engine to one side to get it back in.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 02/25/08 at 23:44:21

No need to pull the engine out. The torque wrench I got for the job was a 3/8ths beam style from sears. Worked fine.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #8 - 02/26/08 at 08:41:51

I usually redo the goop on the top of the motor and around that small rubber "cup" to avoid the dreaded oil leak every spring. And with the bigger Harley tank on there I don't bother having the top chrome on anymore. I'm plenty used to taking the top off of this puppy. I've just not removed anything lower than that except for the speedo cable. Good times ahead I'm sure.

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:23:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Timing chain install

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.