DAILY  HOT TIP (Read 18889 times)
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Re: DAILY  HOT TIP
Reply #165 - 09/25/10 at 14:36:35

One I heard a long time ago ( and do on a regular basis). After filling the gas tank, take off, get running down the road reach down and switch to reserve. Run 15-25 miles, turn back to run. gets you used to switching to reserve, also prevents water and other crap from accumilating in the bottom of the tank.

IP Logged
Brillo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #166 - 10/04/10 at 12:22:44

Shine bike up with Lemon Pledge -- ole' show bike secret.

IP Logged
Brillo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #167 - 10/07/10 at 20:12:57

The Scotch-All-Weather-Fasteners (Velcro..only 3x as strong) work great! I attached my IPhone on the gas tank. With the GPS App I can plot my trips easily and keep track of my distance so I know when to get gas. I test drove it at highway speeds and it worked like a charm; although, I do have a shield.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #168 - 11/25/10 at 17:55:26

crabpainter wrote on 04/03/10 at 17:48:18:
My head apparently has a ridge or deformity at my hair line just above my forehead.... discovered years ago after wearing any properly fitted helmet for any length of time a pain which became so intense as to have me strapping my hat on the back of my bike and riding sans protection. Shocked
Yesterday I got so fed up with my latest headache that I grabbed my helmet and headed to the garage. Putting the helmet against my leg, holding the straps out of the way, I took a hammer and firmly pounded the foam down a bit right where the pain originates. Tried it on and quickly realized I was on to something!! Tweaked it a bit more and viola!!
As I type this I'm near shedding tears of joy at the thought of putting that once torturous iron maiden back on my irregularly shaped dome. Smiley
I hope this helps somebody half as much it helped me.

I did the same thing years ago with a Bell helmet. Then I discovered Arai makes what they call a "long oval" helmet for people like us. The Profile. It fits very nicely and they offer different thicknesses of cheek pads. Expensive but worth it.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #169 - 11/27/10 at 23:52:54

If you have been out later than you should,and you forgot to call your wife ,and you have had way to many drinks, Now here is what you do to avoid the wrath of a p1ssed off wife, walk in you front door and slam it shut,then trudge upstairs to the bedroom throwing your shoes off,all the time singing very loudly "I'm in the mood for love"
when you walk in the bedroom she will be sound asleep.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #170 - 12/01/10 at 02:47:38

MotoBuddha wrote on 11/25/10 at 17:55:26:
crabpainter wrote on 04/03/10 at 17:48:18:
My head apparently has a ridge or deformity at my hair line just above my forehead.... discovered years ago after wearing any properly fitted helmet for any length of time a pain which became so intense as to have me strapping my hat on the back of my bike and riding sans protection. Shocked
Yesterday I got so fed up with my latest headache that I grabbed my helmet and headed to the garage. Putting the helmet against my leg, holding the straps out of the way, I took a hammer and firmly pounded the foam down a bit right where the pain originates. Tried it on and quickly realized I was on to something!! Tweaked it a bit more and viola!!
As I type this I'm near shedding tears of joy at the thought of putting that once torturous iron maiden back on my irregularly shaped dome. Smiley
I hope this helps somebody half as much it helped me.

I did the same thing years ago with a Bell helmet. Then I discovered Arai makes what they call a "long oval" helmet for people like us. The Profile. It fits very nicely and they offer different thicknesses of cheek pads. Expensive but worth it.

I bought a Profile a couple years ago for the same reason.  Very comfy!  And got it on Black Friday, so the price wasn't quite as unbearable. Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #171 - 01/30/11 at 20:44:11

For those of us who ride at night, or even may get caught off guard riding in the evening.
Buy a couple or more of those neon glow sticks. You can get em cheap for a dollar at some places. Place inside your saddlebags, purse, back pack or whatever you use for storage on your bike.
They will last forever till you need them and, at least give  others approaching you if along side the road, notice that your there.
They come in different colors and again an inexpensive item that takes up very little space and not a heavy object either. Smiley kim

« Last Edit: 12/02/12 at 20:07:11 by Serowbot »  
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #172 - 01/31/11 at 21:27:35

kimchris1 wrote on 01/30/11 at 20:44:11:
For those of us who ride at night, or even may get caught off guard riding in the evening.
Buy a couple or more of those neon glow sticks. You can get em cheap for a dollar at some places. Place inside your saddlebags, purse, back pack or whatever you use for storage on your bike.
They will last forever till you need them and, at least give  others approaching you if along side the road, notice that your there.
They come in different colors and again an inexpensive item that takes up very little space and not a heavy object either. Smiley kim

Great idea! Smiley  I also try to keep a small flashlight in one of the bags on my bike.  MiniMag's are great, or Harbor Freight has coupons in their fliers all the time for free LED lights; they're pretty good, I have a couple.

« Last Edit: 12/02/12 at 20:07:53 by Serowbot »  

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #173 - 02/10/11 at 08:31:44

To install a screw or bolt in a hard to reach place, stick it on your screw driver or socket with Blue-Tac, the stuff teachers use to stick stuff on just about anything. It's not as gooey as gum, is stickier than gum, cleans up very easily and is re-usable for a while. It has scads of other uses as well.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
chickenwingsmmm
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

seafoam/fuel treatment on the go
Reply #174 - 02/22/11 at 18:00:31

Great idea, carry your favorite fuel additive (many probably use seafoam) in empty 5 hour energy bottles to the gas station. The bottles hold 2oz which is a little light on the ratio for our 2.8 gallon tank, but it beats carrying a whole bottle around. I cannot take credit for this discovery as I read about it on the TW forum I'm a member of.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #175 - 04/03/11 at 18:05:35

Most of the stuff we buy in tubes costs a lot of money. RTV, Gasket Maker, Etc. To keep the tube from being a one-time use and ending up sticking a knife in the side to get two uses put a little petroleum jelly on the threads before recapping. Next time the cap just unscrews like when it was new.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #176 - 04/05/11 at 16:53:17

Hey everybody. I will use my first post here to share a tip that makes me love how my Savage shines.

To remove areas of light rust and oxidization on chrome and other shiny bits all you need is some aluminum foil and soapy water.

Fold up the foil into a nice little square, dip it in the soapy water, and scrub away. It leaves absolutely no scratches or swirl marks. All the chrome on my Savage looks like it did when it was new 10 years ago.

My buddy did this on his Harley and showed me the trick he has been using for a few years.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #177 - 04/11/11 at 20:08:24

Posted this in another thread, and thought I may as well throw it in here too.  Best part, it's free! Wink

What I like to do in the summer is freeze a pop bottle full of water ahead of time, then throw a couple pairs of old (clean!!!) socks over it for insulation and to keep it from sweating all over, and throw it in my saddlebag.  Presto, you've got ice cold water all afternoon long! Cheesy

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #178 - 04/11/11 at 20:30:51

A sports sprayer bottle strapped on the bike lets me spry water ( Hot as it may be) on me, then, when I am running down the oad, that water evaporates & Im Feelin Kool, Bay Beee..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #179 - 04/29/11 at 22:23:13

Might be a bit late now ,but their is always next year.
When riding in very cold weather (no snow or ice) about every hour or so get off the bike and push it for a few hundred feet,warms you right up. I had to do that in England because a motor cycle was my only means of transportation.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 23
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 03:33:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › DAILY  HOT TIP

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.