Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Taking off sissy bar and pillion (Read 151 times)
JayScottComedy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Taking off sissy bar and pillion
02/16/08 at 20:56:01

Hi, my second post...is a question! My name is Jay btw. Anyway ive been reading for a couple of hours on here but nothing in the searches turned up exactly what im looking for.

I love the look of the bobbers, and if i had any mechanical ability whatsoever i would like to get a small half rear fender on my bike...however that is out of my league. I was thinking though, what are you left with when you remove the sissy bar/passenger pillion/backrest? I figure its probably ugly under there but is it still functional? Also any way to cover that ugly area with a bib or some other covering? Just wondering what all of that entails. Thanks everyone in advance!

-Jay

IP Logged
joebothehobo

Ride like a ghost.

Los Angeles, CA
Re: Taking off sissy bar and pillion
Reply #1 - 02/17/08 at 00:29:55

If changing the rear fender takes too much mechanical inclination, you may wanna think twice about taking off the sissy bar, if only for the reason that when you do, you'll be left with a bunch of random holes on the sides of your fender (8 to be exact) and you'll be missing your rear turn signals. You could just pull the sissy bar up out of the housing that holds the turn signals, but it would probably end up looking like a bike with a missing sissy bar rather than a bike without a sissy bar (if that distinction is clear). In other words, it would probably look somewhat hacked and accidental. As for the pillion, thats not really something im familiar with, but im sure the other guys can help out.

'91 Suzuki GS500E
'98 Subaru Outback.
Robertomoe is my bro.
  IP Logged
JayScottComedy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/17/08 at 01:32:21

Thanks, thats the kind of things i need to hear. I love the look of bobbers and bikes with the pillion/sissy bar removed, but i truly think that that is a look that only the mechanically inclined can have. Im gonna resign to my current situation i do believe. Any info is appreciated though, im sure others would like to know this as well, and if it has been covered before maybe a link or something. Thanks again guys and gals!

-Jay

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #3 - 02/17/08 at 04:08:53

Of course, if you got the sissy-bar-less rails from a newer Boulevard S-40, the bike would look a lot better.  Where would you find those?  From someone with the newer style who [i]wants[i] the sissy bar so he can mount a luggage rack!  I swapped mine out, so I don't have them any more, but I'm sure there's someone who has them just lying around...

Or, you could just remove the pillion pad.  It's just two screws after you pry off the "Suzuki" tag on the back.  It's just held on by sticky tape and can be re-mounted if desired.

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #4 - 02/17/08 at 04:11:59

The newer S40's that come stock without the sissy-bar, look "cleaner" than the older Savage's that have 'em ... that said, the sissy-bar is a convenient place to lodge your Lid when you park at your local hang-out ... so I'll be leaving the sissy-bar on that the previous owner installed on my S50 Cool

I've seen pics of Savage's where their owners replaced the stock sissy-bar with a "bar" or "handle" that hugs the pillion ... nice look!

BTW, pillion is easy to remove ... but under it is a small rectifier/heat sink thingie, that would have to be relocated if you were to go pillion-less ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
ebmiller2

Bel Air, MD
Reply #5 - 02/17/08 at 14:58:11

Here is how I did mine. After rerouting the taillight wires and installing the bullet tail lights I only had two holes on each side to deal with. I used 3/8" chrome plugs from Lowes to plug them.  Smiley

http://www.model-t-man.org/Savage/SavageHDSeat.JPG

WWW   IP Logged
JayScottComedy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/17/08 at 19:06:09

That looks great eb! I take it you have a newer S40 with that seat. I like that seat ALOT better than mine. Im still thinking. I do like the ability to hang my helmet on there when i get off my bike, but i just dont like the look of it. Im a 28 y/o guy so i guess the smoother the back end is whether thats bobbed or just trimmed up like ebmillers the more it fits my persona. Im probably getting it painted and the decals removed this summer as well. just trying to make a great bike fit me a little better. Thanks everyone, all input welcome.

-Jay

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/18/08 at 10:05:02

I've often wondered if the sissy bar is better off for safety reasons?  In an accident if you slid backwards with force and nailed your back on the sissy bar as you were thrown off the bike, seems to me you could damage your spine?

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #8 - 02/18/08 at 13:43:49

Gettin' rear-ended is more likely to cause you to come off the Bike backwards rather than being thrown ahead ... and if you get rear-ended, chances are you are gonna get hurt, sissy-bar or not ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:21:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Taking off sissy bar and pillion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.