Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Why did Suzuki make a single? (Read 829 times)
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Why did Suzuki make a single?
02/14/08 at 05:15:12

Since the Savage is the only single cylinder cruiser on the market in the last 30 years I was wondering what made Suzuki design it?  My guess would be that the engine is half of the engine from the Intruder 1400 so it was inexpensive to design.  Any other theories?

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Re: Why did Suzuki make a single?
Reply #1 - 02/14/08 at 05:40:20

In some respects, you answered the question yourself - there wasn't another single-cylinder cruiser on the market, so Suzuki had to have thought 'this is a cheap gamble, make a bike with relatively low development and manufacture costs, and see if it plugs a hole in the market'.

It did - which is why it's been made for so long.  My only surprise is that nobody else made one, but then the Savage didn't get very good press reports in Europe and the UK when it was launched so its success has been the result of a combination of cult following from thumper lovers and being the largest capacity sub-33hp bike on the market.  

There are a handful of 500cc models but not many 400cc+ bikes with less than 33hp, and that limit is important for licensing young bikers in Europe.  So the Savage is the biggest off-the-shelf bike some new riders can buy - that's a pretty strong marketing feature.

« Last Edit: 02/14/08 at 07:00:36 by KwakNut »  

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
Capt._Ron
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/14/08 at 06:32:11

Actually, it's not the ONLY cruiser single out there. Don't forget the baby sister to the Savage, the GZ250. Suzuki's answer to the Rebel is a fine small caliber cruiser with serious capabilities.

IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #3 - 02/14/08 at 07:01:29

Capt._Ron wrote on 02/14/08 at 06:32:11:
Actually, it's not the ONLY cruiser single out there. Don't forget the baby sister to the Savage, the GZ250. Suzuki's answer to the Rebel is a fine small caliber cruiser with serious capabilities.

Forgot about that one.  My mistake.

IP Logged
KwakNut

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Sheffield, England, mostly.
Reply #4 - 02/14/08 at 07:10:54

Keith_T wrote on 02/14/08 at 07:01:29:
Capt._Ron wrote on 02/14/08 at 06:32:11:

Forgot about that one.  My mistake.
Mind you, it's more of a frigate than a cruiser.

Or maybe a patrol boat.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.
--General George S. Patton
  IP Logged
jk
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/14/08 at 09:08:44

KwakNut wrote on 02/14/08 at 07:10:54:
Or maybe a patrol boat.

PBR Street Gang...

IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/14/08 at 10:29:59

They did'nt think this design would sell!

IP Logged
Onederer
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/14/08 at 10:40:45

This one was already taken.
This is a new bike that sells aroun $5'200 US. Since I got rid of the 68'CB450, this shall be its replacement. Retro heck! this is the real deal.

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #8 - 02/14/08 at 13:28:41

Before settling (I think) on buying a Savage, I had thought I wanted a Royal Enfield, until I investigated.

Except for just one model, they all have drum brakes, front and rear - really outdated.

Don't expect more than about 75 mph top speed, unless you weigh under 100 pounds, have a tailwind, and it's in perfect tune.  It's not an interstate highway bike - of course, when it was in its heyday in the  late 1950s and into the 60s, there were no interstates here.  Motorways in England were beginning, and of course, the Germans had a few autobahnen by then.

According to my buddy, a local dealer who dropped RE from his line-up, ( he sells Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Polaris, Triumph, Ducati and Aprilia) the quality control is the pits, warranty claims take forever, and the tooling at the factory is the same old stuff that the Brits used 45+ years ago, and is just plain worn out.

There are very few dealers nationwide if you need help while on a trip with one of them.

Other than all of that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #9 - 02/14/08 at 14:29:21

Lets see, the Engine was used in the early 80's   In a bike called the "Tempter", sold in 400 cc versions in the Asian and Australian market, debuted as a Savage in 86 in the USA, then back again in the 95-96 time frame. Seems they have recovered many times over the original R&D costs so it is pretty much gravy at this point. Lets thank them as we have such a great ride. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #10 - 02/14/08 at 15:10:24

Keith_T wrote on 02/14/08 at 05:15:12:
Since the Savage is the only single cylinder cruiser on the market in the last 30 years I was wondering what made Suzuki design it?  My guess would be that the engine is half of the engine from the Intruder 1400 so it was inexpensive to design.  Any other theories?

Marketing.  The vast majority is beguiled by horsepower and speed.  Only the truely knowledgable know that for a given displacement nothing can match the torque of a single -- and it is torque that accelerates you from the light, not horsepower.

Anyone could make a Thumper, but they don't because the market barely supports the one.  Savage sales are not such that anyone else has a great yearning to jump in and grab a piece of the action.  Our engine is Old Tech, and will soon die from excessive emissions.  Suzuki.co.uk does not list the LS650 in it's current lineup.

HOPEFULLY Suzuki will slip one of their other singles into the Savage frame rather than drop the line altogether.  They have the  398cc liquid cooled mill from the DR-Z400 and the 644cc air/oil cooled from the DR650.  Kawasaki has the 651cc liquid cooled single in the KLR650, and Honda has a 644cc air cooled single in the XR650.  Lack of a suitable engine is not the reason there are no other Thumping Cruisers.  

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #11 - 02/14/08 at 15:25:16

i rode the savage's uncle, an eighty one gn400, man that was a great bike. got it as a wedding present from the wife rode it as a daily driver for over 20 years and 98,000 miles. finally wore the thing out.  

i then bought the 04 savage, bobbed it using the chrome fenders off the 400, along with other assorted stuff.

a single has been the staple of the industry worldwide so that's why.  
for the world a 650 is a big bike.  

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #12 - 02/14/08 at 16:48:24

if they ever put a drz400 engine in one i'm buying me one. talk about torque, woooo hoooo.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
joebothehobo

Ride like a ghost.

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #13 - 02/14/08 at 18:19:37

unfortunately they'd probably have to gear it up so it cruises the freeway instead of climbs walls. id guess it would be a less exciting bike than either the savage or the DRZ400 individually.

'91 Suzuki GS500E
'98 Subaru Outback.
Robertomoe is my bro.
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #14 - 02/14/08 at 22:20:09

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 02/14/08 at 13:28:41:
Before settling (I think) on buying a Savage, I had thought I wanted a Royal Enfield, until I investigated.

Except for just one model, they all have drum brakes, front and rear - really outdated.

Don't expect more than about 75 mph top speed, unless you weigh under 100 pounds, have a tailwind, and it's in perfect tune.  It's not an interstate highway bike - of course, when it was in its heyday in the  late 1950s and into the 60s, there were no interstates here.  Motorways in England were beginning, and of course, the Germans had a few autobahnen by then.

According to my buddy, a local dealer who dropped RE from his line-up, ( he sells Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Polaris, Triumph, Ducati and Aprilia) the quality control is the pits, warranty claims take forever, and the tooling at the factory is the same old stuff that the Brits used 45+ years ago, and is just plain worn out.

There are very few dealers nationwide if you need help while on a trip with one of them.

Other than all of that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Up to the point where it put the primary chain through the cases, not bad when it was actually running.

1950's British engineering and design, Indian quality control -- even the export grade Enfields are a reliability disaster, especially if you think a 500cc bike should ride at least as well as an old Honda Super 90!

Yeah, drop-dead gorgeous, but my wife was getting tired of picking me up so I could bring it home on the trailer!

(And yes, the shift was on the right, and that's a disk brake up front!)

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:22:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Why did Suzuki make a single?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.