Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rode one today (Read 600 times)
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Rode one today
02/14/08 at 10:52:03

I got to ride the bike I'm most likely buying soon.  It is an 04 Savage.  It had been sitting in a garage since November.  When I first tried to start it the petcock was in the normal run position.  It wouldn't start so I moved it to PRI and it started right up.  With the choke I was able to ride off in a couple minutes.  The first thing that struck me was how comfortable the riding position was.  I was expecting to feel a little cramped.  I am 5' 11".  I previously owned a Virago and this bike felt more comfortable.  The bike felt bigger than it is.  I rode it for a couple miles.  The streets were wet with snow melt.  I was a little afraid of black ice so I took it easy.  The fastest I got up to was 35 but it was acceptably smooth and had enough power.  All in all I was very impressed with the ride.  I can't wait for the warm weather!!  

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Re: Rode one today
Reply #1 - 02/14/08 at 11:06:10

That's a nice looking ride. Looks like someone had the polishing rag out.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/14/08 at 12:43:51

Looks good. Spose its time to get it off of prime? Sitting that long, needs an oil change if there were any miles on the oil when it was parked.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
forrest
Serious Thumper

No matter where you
go, there you are.

Kennesaw, Ga
Reply #3 - 02/14/08 at 12:45:07

Looks like a nice bike.

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #4 - 02/14/08 at 12:47:58

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/14/08 at 12:43:51:
Looks good. Spose its time to get it off of prime? Sitting that long, needs an oil change if there were any miles on the oil when it was parked.

I put the petcock back to the vertical normal position.  That would cut off gas flow when the engine wasn't running wouldn't it?  The bike only has 600 miles.  I will change the oil to synthetic when I get it home.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 02/14/08 at 12:57:27

Yea, vac actuated petcork, no real OFF position, but PRI is a steady flow to the carb, so it can run into the intake & flood the crank with oil, seriously screwing with the lubrication! Someone took care of it, Nice looking little dude.

HEY!! he wrote petcock & it worked! When did that start?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #6 - 02/14/08 at 13:12:03

Nice.........  I see slight discolored pipe.  Means the carb is stock (lean !!!!!).

The carb mod's listed in the Tech section will make the bike even more enjoyable........ Grin   Grin   Grin

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Kix
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Southeast US
Reply #7 - 02/14/08 at 15:01:12

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 02/14/08 at 13:12:03:
Nice.........  I see slight discolored pipe.  Means the carb is stock (lean !!!!!).

The carb mod's listed in the Tech section will make the bike even more enjoyable........ Grin   Grin   Grin

I "second" that!

KIX '98 Savage with Jardine
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #8 - 02/15/08 at 09:21:04

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/14/08 at 12:57:27:
Yea, vac actuated petcork, no real OFF position, but PRI is a steady flow to the carb, so it can run into the intake & flood the crank with oil, seriously screwing with the lubrication! Someone took care of it, Nice looking little dude.

HEY!! he wrote petcock & it worked! When did that start?

He said petcock! Heh heh heh heh heh!   Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 02/16/08 at 02:12:02

I third that!  Loose that 200 lb stock muffler that makes it sound like a lawn mower and replace it with either a supertrapp, jardine or harley muffler, and rejet it.  You wont be sorry, and isnt all that expensive.

IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #10 - 02/16/08 at 17:29:54

I rode the bike quite a bit more today.  I was on it for about 45 minutes.   I got it up to 60 mph briefly.  Most of the time I was going between 30 and 40 mph in my Dad's subdivision.  Getting it going 45 was not a problem.  The handling was nice and light.  At first it felt good, but after about 20 minutes the back part of the seat was bugging me.  I have had a terrible time finding seats that I like on most of my bikes.  The Corbin's I've had I've liked though.  The bike just felt a little too small.  I'm thinking that with the forward controls that Ed L is making it might be much better.  I also will likely replace the seat and bar.  Has anyone here adapted a Corbin seat to the Savage?  

After today's ride I'm not quite as sold on the bike.  I still like it, especially for the money I would be paying but part of me wonders if i should find a nice 80's UJM that might fit me better.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #11 - 02/16/08 at 18:16:39

hell i got a petcock that's a real pregnant dog.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #12 - 02/16/08 at 19:37:38

Looks like it could use the seat lift mod for less monkey butt and more leg room.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
joebothehobo

Ride like a ghost.

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #13 - 02/17/08 at 01:01:41

stinger wrote on 02/16/08 at 02:12:02:
I third that!  Loose that 200 lb stock muffler that makes it sound like a lawn mower and replace it with either a supertrapp, jardine or harley muffler, and rejet it.  You wont be sorry, and isnt all that expensive.

Interesting that you say lawn mower, i've heard the Buell Blast (Harley's 500cc sportbike thumper) compared to a lawn mower, but never the savage. i've more often heard it compared to a sewing machine (which I i think is pretty dead on).

'91 Suzuki GS500E
'98 Subaru Outback.
Robertomoe is my bro.
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #14 - 02/22/08 at 19:39:56

I had planned to ride the bike again tomorrow for a half hour or so to make my final decision and then to get the money together.  Today I got a message from my Dad's wife who owns the bike that she was not happy about me being in their house when they were away even though my Dad had given me permission.  She doesn't want me there until they get back at the beginning of April.  That is 5 weeks!  The weather here won't get good until then, but if I have to wait that long I may end up finding another bike.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:21:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rode one today

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.