Re: Rode one today
Reply #15 - 02/22/08 at 20:52:03

And you think she's gonna give you a good price?   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #16 - 02/23/08 at 07:06:59

The price has already been agreed upon.  If it changes I walk.  I'm kind of pissed about the whole situation right now.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #17 - 02/23/08 at 08:28:44

If they're gone for 5 weeks,  I would think you would have to wait anyway. How would you do the title transfer?

5 weeks,...... that's like first week of April...  perfect riding weather     Grin

Get the money together, bank it and make some interest.   Then in five weeks if you decide you don't like the bike, find another.... an April test drive is usually nicer....

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #18 - 02/23/08 at 10:45:32

My Dad took the title with so he could sign it and mail it to me.  I spent this morning looking at some older UJM's.  They would come with new tires and a carb cleaning but the price would only be 500 -700 less than I am paying for the nearly new Savage.  Also the back position on the bikes would put my spine in a slightly bent forward position.  I think at this stage of my life a cruiser is what my back needs.  So I will either have to wait until they get back or see if I can arrange to mail the check and get permission to pick up the bike.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #19 - 02/23/08 at 18:41:28

Keith_T wrote on 02/16/08 at 17:29:54:
At first it felt good, but after about 20 minutes the back part of the seat was bugging me.

Perfectly normal. The stock seat is a torture device. You can do the seat lift mod, put on a stock Sportster seat, or get an Airhawk pad. The stock seat is horrid. The rest of the bike is great! Exhaust, rejet, and some improvement in the seating and you'll have a great bike.

Good luck on your quest. Ride safe when the roads aren't very good. Don't want to wreck the bike before it's paid for.

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #20 - 02/24/08 at 07:33:16

Keith, If you are going to keep the stock bars, by all means change or lift the front of the seat. The problem is the stock buckhorn or the pullback drag bars are to far to the rear of the bike. They make you lean back on the high part of the seat to get your arms comfortable, and that gives you monkey butt. I you go with upright bars or just turn the stock drag bar risers around so they don't pullback, you will find the stock seat is fine. When riding a bike your back should be straight up and down, or slightly forward to get the spring in it. If you are leaned back, your back will not "spring", and all your weight is on the back of your butt. The bars, in either stock configuration, are not made for anyone over 5'4" or with long arms. I would post a pic if my web host would work right. It also would dispell the myth of 12" apehangars being above your head.   Hutch

you learn from your mistakes, and I've learned a lot
  IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #21 - 02/24/08 at 16:24:19

Keith, here is pic of me on the Savage with no seat mod and taller bars. These bars are 12" high with 1 and1/2" risers. As you can tell the bike is on the kickstand. If you bring my right arm down halfway to the left arm that is where your arms are at when the bike is level. Your arms are at shirt pocket level, and your back is straight from not leaning back, like with the stock buckhorn, or the pullback drag bars on the S-40. As I said I am 5'10" and 150lbs.   Hutch  I'm watching the travel channel since it is mid winter here in the great state of Michigan. You can always pretend.

« Last Edit: 02/24/08 at 17:53:47 by Hutch »  

IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #22 - 02/25/08 at 06:28:06

Thanks for the posts.  How much did you have to lengthen your cables/hoses for the bars?

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #23 - 02/25/08 at 07:22:12

I did not have to lenghten the wiring at all, that was a good thing. The throttle was made 3" longer, and the clutch and front brake line were both made 7" longer. That was for the S-40 drag bars. The cables on the buckhorn bars are a different length so I don't know about them. Lancer can give you an idea about that. That is who I ordered them through. They are made by Barnett. The end of the throttle cable is different from the drag bars where it hooks into the throttle grip at the bars also. If you have different cables made, be sure to specify if your bike is a Savage or a Boulevard S-40 to get the correct throttle end. The one thing that I realy like about the bars(I use apehangars a lot) is that you no longer steer with your entire upper body. All you have to do is straighten your elbows or nudge your shoulders for quick moves. With stock bars it is like steering an old tiller type boat and pushing the bars sideways. I found that out years ago when I was a kid, and had a bicycle with banana seat and monkey bars. It was much easier to steer than the low bars on my buddies bike. As long as you don't go nuts and get 14" or higher bars(I did that) they are very comfortable and much easier to steer with. Just my 2 cents. I will post another pic from a different angle. They look real high, but are not as you can tell from where my arms are at when I am seated on the bike. Another reason I like those type bars, is you can roll your leather jacket up and put it between the cables and bars without using bunjie chords. That comes in handy in the spring and fall in Michigan. Hutch  

« Last Edit: 02/25/08 at 08:22:44 by Hutch »  

IP Logged
Keith_T

Northern Illinois
Reply #24 - 02/25/08 at 09:59:03

Michigan is looking a lot greener than Chicago!  Grin

IP Logged
Hutch
Serious Thumper

till death do us
part

Birch Run, MI. U.S.A.
Reply #25 - 02/25/08 at 10:37:34

Keith, unfortunately the pic was taken last fall. We still have 10" of snow with 5" more coming tonight. At least the first 2 foot melted down finaly. Right now about 10' in front of where the bike is parked in the picture, there is a 8 foot pile of snow. When you drive in my drive way you have a wall of snow on each side that was shoved off the drive.The scaper actualy got down to the ashphalt 2 days ago in front of my house. I haven't seen the asphalt in 3 weeks.  Hutch

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:27:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rode one today

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.