Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
fork seal (Read 63 times)
greyhead51

i love u charlotte

munford,tn
fork seal
02/09/08 at 16:13:10

can't seem to find this posted, can anyone tell me if i can replace my fork oil seals without using the "special tools" listed in my clymers manuel. if so how.

thanks and God bless...greyhead51

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: fork seal
Reply #1 - 02/09/08 at 16:36:39

Might be in the tech section, but I've done mine a couple times and you can substitute a 6-sided tapered broom handle for the special tool if you have an air/electric impact wrench or access to one and the correct size allen socket. Last time I found a hex bolt of the correct size head and welded it in a piece of square tubing. It is nice because you can "torque" the lower tube retainer correctly. I did purchase the special tool at one time and it was too big in diameter to go down the fork tube on my 96. The next tool send to my local dealer by tech support was a tapered 4 sided easy out type tool that was too small to work. Went with the broom handle that time per the parts guy suggestion. Set the drained tube upside down on the broom handle and spin the allen head bolt out. When you are finished cleaning, use some brake clean or other non-petroleum cleaner on the bolt and part it threads into and some loctite or = on it. Recently I also purchased a fork tube size bottle brush to clean the gunge out of the bottom of the tubes. We've be replacing seals and boots on the B-i-L's Honda 230F water changer bikes the last couple days and they are almost the same as the Savage ones. We use an Snap-on 3/8 air impact and with it you don't need to hold the inside as it pulls the female threaded retainer down tight quicker than it can spin. Not so using a hand wrench unless you are good/lucky. Max PS the tool I made is mailable if you want to borrow it and return it. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
greyhead51

i love u charlotte

munford,tn
Re: fork seal
Reply #2 - 02/09/08 at 18:41:30

thanks for the insight, will try the broom handle.

God bless...greyhead51

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 01:33:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › fork seal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.