Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pulling a trailer (Read 171 times)
Polar_Pilot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Pulling a trailer
01/30/08 at 12:35:06

I have seen pictures of a Savage running with a side hack on the machine but I have not seen any postings on pulling trailers.

Does anyone here pull a trailer with their Savage (S40) and what is your experience with hauling a box?

I have a hitch that I bought oh 5 + years back - have not installed it but trailering sounds more and more like a solution for the riding I am planning

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Re: Pulling a trailer
Reply #1 - 01/30/08 at 13:11:59

there's a write up in the tech section.  i don't have the link at hand, but a search should help ya out.

btw,  glad ya found the way over here from berts.  i do miss berts board.  i went to heck in a handbasket right about the time he got married.   connection......

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #2 - 01/30/08 at 13:15:51

Somebody here has a hitch on their's,all I remember is that is a yellow bike.  Undecided

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 01/30/08 at 13:27:40

I've driven a 5000# Fiat van with a 1600cc puchrod engine producing about 36 horsepower.  57 mph top speed.  Sis's '57 Ghia, 36 horse also, would do 85.  Gotta get bluetooth headsets for the cellphones, but when I do I want to see how fast I can get moving while towing Wendy's '72 Camaro (Wendy will be in the Camaro to apply braking.)

I would be quite willing to haul a 500# trailered load with the Savage.  I want to build my own hitch and trailer.  The trailer will use Savage front wheels.

WWW   IP Logged
JakeB

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

NE Ohio
Reply #4 - 01/30/08 at 17:51:36

I think the Savage has plenty of power to pull a trailer, but if the trailer + load is more than about 250 lbs then you better have some kind of brakes on the trailer. That is, of course, unless you like to be pushed into intersections. Tongue

JakeB

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 01/30/08 at 20:32:06

Just drive within the limitations of vehicle and condition -- no problem.  I've driven a VW with no hydraulic brakes for a week, in Athens Greece.   A Spitfire with a broken open throttle for 5-10 miles
'til I found a service station where I might borrow tools.

You run excess weight on the bike you simply allow greater distance for stopping.

But then, I've driven some rather pathetic junk in the past.

WWW   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #6 - 02/01/08 at 11:43:24

I'm the one with the yellow bike with a hitch. The trailer I have is a 4'x4' that weighs about a hundred lbs. with a 3/8" plywood flat be on it. Empty you don't even feel it back there although you hear it bouncing around. I've not pulled it with lots of weight on it, but am planning an extended road/camping trip this next summer. I'll of course report the results.

I don't intend to put much more on there weight wise than I normally haul on the bike anyway. That usually works out to around a hundred lbs. plus me at about (ahem) 180#. My big fear isn't the stopping 'cause I always allow a ton of room, but rather having it come around on me due to wind or bouncing during a slow down. If I put the weight on the trailer then that ends up making the bike lighter. Physics tells me that less weight on rubber means even more care to be taken. I plan to split up the weight and put the bulky stuff on the trailer and the smaller, heavier on the bike.

Jack

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 02/01/08 at 12:18:11

More weight on the trailer should make it more stable and less likely to be blown around.

If you load the front of the trailer, the bike will be loaded as well (tongue weight will transfer to the rear wheel).

And I certainly would consider getting trailer brakes at least for emergency stops.

WWW   IP Logged
JakeB

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

NE Ohio
Reply #8 - 02/01/08 at 13:07:59

I wasn't worried about about expected stops as much as unexpected ones like verslagen mentioned.

How's this for a trailer on a motorcycle? This one definitely has some trailer brakes! Grin

http://www.exn.ca/news/video/exn2004/04/14/exn20040414-towbike.asx

JakeB

IP Logged
Soon

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Portland ME
Reply #9 - 02/01/08 at 14:53:02

Hey awesome!

I love my ride. Ls650
Autistic