Send Topic Print
keep or ditch? (Read 265 times)
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
keep or ditch?
01/29/08 at 10:02:21

I was taking my battery (regular acid type I bought from the stealership) out to go get it tested, and in all my noobosity I forgot which terminal was which and tired to disconnect the positive side first, sending a stream of sparks my way when the screwdriver shaft touched the frame above the battery.  Now the guys at Autozone said my battery tested fine, but soon after putting it back in, a push to the starter was answered by two clicks and all the lights shutting off. (dead battery)

Should I even consider recharging this battery, or should I get a new one?  Is it possible that it's shorted?  The sparking was at least a second and a half as I had to jump around and yell before I could get the screwdriver off

And whats the best place to have a battery recycled?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: keep or ditch?
Reply #1 - 01/29/08 at 10:28:06

Can't hurt to try recharging it.  It would probably be nice to have a maintenance-free type though if it doesn't take.  An AGM battery is best.  I use an Odyssey but the Big Crank has one that fits the LS650 as almost a direct swap (from what I understand), is cheaper than an Odyssey, and folks who have it seem to like it.  Autozone will take old lead-acid batteries for recycling, at least all of them near me will.  I've even taken lead-acid batteries from a computer UPS to them for recycling.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 01/29/08 at 10:29:45

Probably took some life off it, but I would recharge it first and make a decision after riding a few times.  

If you are worried,  make sure you are at home or a friends house when you turn the bike off.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 01/29/08 at 10:58:43

Check both fuses under the seat, RH side, sometimes accessable w/o removing the seat. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #4 - 01/29/08 at 15:35:16

make sure the connections are good and tight. battery should be fine. ive done way worse things to a battery, and they all survived.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 01/29/08 at 17:39:36

I figured the battery in the Honda Civic was crap, pulled it, hauled it to Wally world. There, a local battery guru, highly trained, high paid, with all the modern sophisticated equipment, pronounced the battery " Goot!". Took it home, installed it,, fired that baby RIGHT Up, hammer dead in the morning.
I wouyldnt have NEEDE their "Expert" assistance had my ol Miltons load testor not died of old age a year or so ago. This pay day I think I will replace it with one from Harbor Freight..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
govmule84

Scooter Trash

Central Missouri
Reply #6 - 01/30/08 at 06:15:58

I will get on my high horse again.

Cut a notch in the battery box.  Use a @27 Wally battery so if you ever break down, anywhere, at any time of day, you can get a new bat.

Additionally...Justin...please, no Harbor Fright.  That's stuff's garbage.  Help the economy, buy some quality American tools.

Rant over.
-L.

Ninety percent of my money went to bikes, broads, and booze. The rest I wasted.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 01/30/08 at 15:47:19

I wont promise, but I will consider it. I DO understand where you are coming from. I will say this tho, the little difference I can make by spending my pennies to support the economy is about nothing, but my family needs to save the $$ as much as we can. HOWever, IF we could convince a certain buffoon to STOP spending billions in un needed foreign wars & IF we could stop the Federal reserve from printing money & creating inflation( tho the greatest contributor to recent inflation seems to be foreign holders of dollars moving out of dollars into other currencies & buying things with their dollars, which are making their way back to mainland USA, affecting the value of dollars saved & in billfolds, diving prices up), etc, etc, yadda, yadda,,, blah blah BLEHHH!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #8 - 01/30/08 at 16:14:51

what is an @27 Wally battery and what's the deal with it?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #9 - 01/30/08 at 19:40:06

Bobbert wrote on 01/30/08 at 16:14:51:
what is an @27 Wally battery and what's the deal with it?

possibly  .....  look at your keyboard,  look above the two,  now look over 2 keys and see what's above the four.......  

Fat Fingers Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 01/30/08 at 23:43:32

The Big Crank is a great way to go, no water to mess with.

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #11 - 01/31/08 at 15:15:22

okay, so I charged up the battery with a junky old charger at about 1 amp for about 5 or 6 hours.

installed results-

the lights don't seem to be dim or anything, but when I hit the starter it either shuts all power off for a few seconds

or

the electrical gizmo behind the airbox clicks and the lights flash on and off in unison.  

Also- when I switch to high beam, sometimes the lights shut off for a moment and there's a click from the gizmo.  

using the turn signals causes visible dimming of all running lights.

Yeah, the battery is fried (right?).  

Probably going with a big crank

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 01/31/08 at 20:27:40

Sounds like a puny battery, allright.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 04:42:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › keep or ditch?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.