Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Damaged Idle Mixture Scrrew... (Read 339 times)
nef584
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kissimmee, Fl.
Re: Damaged Idle Mixture Scrrew...
Reply #15 - 02/05/08 at 18:08:17

Boy, all this surgery sounds like the prelude for "Damaged Carburetor" which will be followed by the sequel called "Need a New Carburetor".

I hate to admit it but Savage Greg was right... Tongue I messed up the carb real baaaaad!!! Angry  I took it to a shop close by and they told me what I didn't want to hear.." dude this is unfixable, I'll order you a new one for $458.00"... Yeah right Shocked I got one off ebay for $65.00 including shipping.

I put it on yesterday, pulled the IMS plug, set screw to 1 3/4 turns I did the White spacer mod ( filed it to less than 1/2) and set the idle speed on the carb and  Shocked WOW what a difference... now the thumper rides SWEEEET  Grin Grin . I previously had mounted a sportster muffler on it. ( before the SCREW up.)

BTW the jet from the "new"  carb were the same size from that of my old one but seems like whoever had it before drilled through it with a 1/16 drill bit.( I measured them with a bit ). Can anyone tell me if this is a good thing or should I put the jet from my "old" carb on thjis one? It runs gooood. I haven't driven the bike a long distance since the mods. Undecided Cool

Ride Safe, Ride Long... but Ride!!!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 02/05/08 at 19:09:09

Dont be in a hurry to change anything. EvaLuate the way it runs, MPG, performance, look at the exhaust, is it painting everythiung back there black? Does it backfire?

Did they get the adjusting screw out of the other carb?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 02/05/08 at 21:36:28

nef584 wrote on 02/05/08 at 18:08:17:
Boy, all this surgery sounds like the prelude for "Damaged Carburetor" which will be followed by the sequel called "Need a New Carburetor".

I hate to admit it but Savage Greg was right... Tongue I messed up the carb real baaaaad!!! Angry  I took it to a shop close by and they told me what I didn't want to hear.." dude this is unfixable, I'll order you a new one for $458.00"... Yeah right Shocked I got one off ebay for $65.00 including shipping.

I put it on yesterday, pulled the IMS plug, set screw to 1 3/4 turns I did the White spacer mod ( filed it to less than 1/2) and set the idle speed on the carb and  Shocked WOW what a difference... now the thumper rides SWEEEET  Grin Grin . I previously had mounted a sportster muffler on it. ( before the SCREW up.)

BTW the jet from the "new"  carb were the same size from that of my old one but seems like whoever had it before drilled through it with a 1/16 drill bit.( I measured them with a bit ). Can anyone tell me if this is a good thing or should I put the jet from my "old" carb on thjis one? It runs gooood. I haven't driven the bike a long distance since the mods. Undecided Cool

I hate to be right at your expense, man.  Sorry you had to learn a lesson the hard way, but don't worry.  You're not alone.  I've screwed up far more than I'll ever admit...  

75% of my bike work involves carbs...Heck, I have a Honda 90 in the garage that a young guy bought, and one of his problems was getting it to idle right....(those carbs have an idle screw that stops the movement of the slide)...anyway, when I got to looking at it, I found that someone had substituted an idle mixture screw for the idle screw.  The slide was being stopped by that little teeny point Smiley

Now...the main jet.  A stock #145 main is 1.45 MM which is .057".  A 1/16" bit is .062".  A stock 155 Main is .061".  AND considering that I doubt that jet was drilled out in a precision lathe, I'll bet it is way bigger than .062".  The only way to really measure it would be with gage pins, not a drill bit anyway.

Why not just buy 2 or 3 different new jets and do it right?  Wink

IP Logged
TVR_FSO
Serious Thumper

I'm Ya
Huckleberry....

Frisco, Texas
Reply #18 - 02/07/08 at 16:12:39

When all else fails. Take a dremel to it. It might just work like mine did!

2004 Suzuki Volusia, modding in progress
WWW   IP Logged
nef584
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kissimmee, Fl.
Reply #19 - 02/07/08 at 18:25:11

[quote author=445B5D5A4740714171495B571C2E0 link=1201016798/15#16 date=1202267349]Dont be in a hurry to change anything. EvaLuate the way it runs, MPG, performance, look at the exhaust, is it painting everythiung back there black? Does it backfire?

Did they get the adjusting screw out of the other carb? [/quot

Haven't heard any backfire yet. I haven't driven it that far since I got it fixed. Haven't seen any black smoke either. But it sounds better and has more of a punch to it now.  Cool

The guy at the shop worked on it for a few hours without any luck. When he finally was able to get it out he showed me all the damage to the inside Shocked. The screw was all bent out of shape, the threads were gone etc. etc. I'm keeping the carb for parts though. You never know when I might mess some other thing on it.  Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 02/08/08 at 04:32:31

Sounds like you might have found a good bike shop though, since they actually worked on the carb.

IP Logged
nef584
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kissimmee, Fl.
Reply #21 - 02/08/08 at 05:42:50

See, miracles do happen... Grin The guys at the shop work on the KPD bikes. So they treat us right when we take our private owned bikes. Cool. They didn't even charge me a penny. Wink

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 02/08/08 at 06:04:41

Next time you are over that way, you oughta drop in with some Donuts or something & say thanks.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 02/08/08 at 07:35:02

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/08/08 at 06:04:41:
Next time you are over that way, you oughta drop in with some Donuts or something & say thanks.

Good point.  You need to reinforce their belief system.  It's a rare thing these days.

IP Logged
nef584
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kissimmee, Fl.
Reply #24 - 02/08/08 at 12:14:05

Already done!!!  Wink Gotta take care of those who take care of us...  Cool

No doughnuts though, They prefer Pizza... Cool

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 02/08/08 at 13:01:58

nef584 wrote on 02/08/08 at 12:14:05:
Already done!!!  Wink Gotta take care of those who take care of us...  Cool

No doughnuts though, They prefer Pizza... Cool

Good way to handle that one!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:15:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Damaged Idle Mixture Scrrew...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.