Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Damaged Idle Mixture Scrrew... (Read 339 times)
nef584
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kissimmee, Fl.
Damaged Idle Mixture Scrrew...
01/22/08 at 07:46:37

Damaged Idle Mixture Screw... Yup I hit it with the drill bit when pulling the plug out. The screw has no screwdriver slot now... Tongue Itried making a new slot by tapping a screw driver into it with a hammer but the screw won't budge. I don't want to hit it hard, afraid i  might make things worse.

Thanks AlfromNH.
I guess I'll get myself an extractor kit and carefully and slowly try to get the darn thing out... Embarrassed

Ride Safe, Ride Long... but Ride!!!
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: Damaged Idle Mixture Scrrew...
Reply #1 - 01/22/08 at 08:36:58

That's what I did when my pilot screw got boogered. I don't have an extracter kit, but I took the carb to work with me and I used the kit at work to take care of it.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #2 - 01/22/08 at 10:25:48

Don't forget to blow out all the shavings left from the screw and put a few drop of oil in there for easier extraction. I feel for you Dude! Been there done that!

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 01/22/08 at 13:14:37

Might also try finding a left hand drill bit(no joking)to drill it out as you drill sometimes it will help back out the screw.I think when I got mine they were from a tool truck.(Snap-on,Matco,etc.) Wink

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 01/22/08 at 13:15:28

2 very small holes drilled at an angle, so that piano wire stuck in the holes crosses, you can rotate & pull thast way. If you take some wire & tie them where they cross, by tying near the carb & near you, not going around them parallel to the carb, you will be able to pull pretty hard & not pull the wires out. The steeper the angle, the better, Since the screw is shrouded, it wont be real easy. Worth a try before the big guns come out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
nef584
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Kissimmee, Fl.
Reply #5 - 01/22/08 at 15:11:29

I guess now I have something to do on the weekend... Tongue I was planning on riding with some buddies ( HD Fans). I want to show them how much fun a thumper can be!!! Wink

Thanks for the input guys, I'll let you know when my ride gets back on the road...( might do the white spacer mod. at the same time). Wish me luck.... SEE YA!!!

Ride Safe, Ride Long... but Ride!!!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 01/22/08 at 20:49:22

Recommend fixing the problem. Then, after you know it runs just like before, then do a mod.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #7 - 01/23/08 at 03:25:42

what is the recommended way to remove the plug without damaging the pilot screw ?
what size drill bit and how deep ?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 01/23/08 at 05:45:51

Use a 3/32 bit drill in about a 1/8 inch just enough to get a sheet metal screw in the plug, plug is lead and soft,when the screw is tight pull on it with a vise grip .

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 01/23/08 at 07:33:51

wrap tape around the drill bit to make sure it doesnt go in far enough to smack the adjuster

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #10 - 01/23/08 at 08:44:40

Drill nice and slow and go in a little at a time help also. As soon as you feel no resistance against your drill bit "STOP"

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 01/23/08 at 14:01:15

Is this the same topic or a new one...?

Boy, all this surgery sounds like the prelude for "Damaged Carburetor" which will be followed by the sequel called "Need a New Carburetor".

How much you wanna bet, that when you drilled into the mixture screw with a drill bit that was turning clockwise that you also turned (tightened) the mixture screw all the way into the screw seat...(that will sometimes break the tip off the mixture screw, and ruin the orifice).

But then you beat on the screw with a screwdriver and a hammer while trying to make a slot?  Say what?  Were you trying to make sure that it was jammed all the way in?  If nothing else, the hammering most likely mushroomed the brass end inside the hole...or screwed up the threads.  After all, the carb body is cast aluminum and the screw is brass, plus there is even a seal in there too.

Whatever you do, don't try a screw extractor.  You might drill through the carb Tongue

Sorry man. not trying to give you hell, but that was just a cluster fluck of things to do.

Back to the problem...I think that I remember someone else that had to get a screw out.  As I recall, he used a dremel tool and cut away the aluminum on the front side of the carb around the mixture screw.  Then when he got down to the top of the screw, he was able to turn it from the side.

I'd try that if you can, but I bet you might need to take it to a shop.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 01/23/08 at 14:38:32

y

You don't have to drill all way in the plug to get a screw to catch enough to pull out the plug.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
franch

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 01/23/08 at 16:03:19

nef584 should not feel bad.
very very easy to screw(no pun intended)up the carb pilot screw.
I am currently among those who drilled with regular rotation drill bit, dremmeled and generally fache'd the whole arrangment up so badly that  as i write this i am waiting for a fellow member to ship the used carb i purchased  to me. the old one is toast.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #14 - 01/24/08 at 05:04:32

If you drill slowly and check often, a hole will appear in the brass plug as you start the beakthrough, without hiting the screw behind it.  Then you can finnish taking out the plug without dammage.  Oh, if you want to know how to break of a exhaust header bolt,i can help woith that also. Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:22:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Damaged Idle Mixture Scrrew...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.