mdurham
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Moscow, ID
Carb Problem?
01/20/08 at 17:12:24

Hi all,

I've just purchaed a 97 650 Savage this past fall.

The bike starts great, then after it warms up, it dies, like it's flooding out. You can keep it running if you keep on the throttle.
I've taken the carb off and cleaned it up (thanks for the great post by SavageWahine), still does it.

One thing I checked today is, in 25 degree weather, it will start up instantly, without pulling out the choke and idle nice, until it warms up. This dosn't seem normal to me. This sounds like a carb issue to me...but, I'm not sure where to go from here. I was hoping the carb clean-up would fix it.

Any ideas??

Thanks for any advice.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: Carb Problem?
Reply #1 - 01/20/08 at 17:37:36

If a choke is essentially an enrichening system, and on a cold day you don't need it, then your flooding out theory may be on the mark.  Perhaps the previoss owner changed a jet or two??? Welcome and good luck.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #2 - 01/20/08 at 17:37:36

Dumb question but is the idle set high enough for colder weather?

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #3 - 01/20/08 at 19:51:34

mdurham, have you checked your oil?
I know that when my bike flooded I ended up having gas in my oil.
If you haven't changed the oil in a while, try doing that (replace filter too).
The oil will definitively have a gas smell if you indeed badly flooded it.
It turns out that my petcork must have been faulty. I took it apart and cleaned the little filter looking thing that goes to the vacuum hose. it was totally clogged with black rubbery substance (I take it the little "diaphragm" in there was starting to go). It never flooded again, but I did end up getting a different petcork some time after (thanks to Demin)

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 01/21/08 at 10:44:47

mdurham wrote on 01/20/08 at 17:12:24:
Hi all,

I've just purchaed a 97 650 Savage this past fall.

The bike starts great, then after it warms up, it dies, like it's flooding out. You can keep it running if you keep on the throttle.
I've taken the carb off and cleaned it up (thanks for the great post by SavageWahine), still does it.

One thing I checked today is, in 25 degree weather, it will start up instantly, without pulling out the choke and idle nice, until it warms up. This dosn't seem normal to me. This sounds like a carb issue to me...but, I'm not sure where to go from here. I was hoping the carb clean-up would fix it.

Any ideas??

Thanks for any advice.

Why does all this sound completely backwards?  Doesn't make much sense, because if you start it with the choke and leave the choke on too long, it will stall out as if it is flooding...

Are you sure that you are using the choke correctly?

IP Logged
mdurham
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Moscow, ID
Reply #5 - 01/22/08 at 12:00:59

[/quote]
Why does all this sound completely backwards?  Doesn't make much sense, because if you start it with the choke and leave the choke on too long, it will stall out as if it is flooding...

Are you sure that you are using the choke correctly? [/quote]

Good point. I'm assumming that when the choke is pushed all the way in, towards the bike, the choke is off. I'm I off on this?
It'd sure be nice if I've just got the operations backwards. Smiley

IP Logged
mdurham
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Moscow, ID
Reply #6 - 01/22/08 at 12:02:42

Trippah wrote on 01/20/08 at 17:37:36:
If a choke is essentially an enrichening system, and on a cold day you don't need it, then your flooding out theory may be on the mark.  Perhaps the previoss owner changed a jet or two??? Welcome and good luck.

Possibly, but I know that the main jet is a 145 which is what the service manual shows. I'm not sure a bout the other ones.

IP Logged
mdurham
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Moscow, ID
Reply #7 - 01/22/08 at 12:07:07

SavageWahine wrote on 01/20/08 at 19:51:34:
mdurham, have you checked your oil?
I know that when my bike flooded I ended up having gas in my oil.
If you haven't changed the oil in a while, try doing that (replace filter too).
The oil will definitively have a gas smell if you indeed badly flooded it.
It turns out that my petcork must have been faulty. I took it apart and cleaned the little filter looking thing that goes to the vacuum hose. it was totally clogged with black rubbery substance (I take it the little "diaphragm" in there was starting to go). It never flooded again, but I did end up getting a different petcork some time after (thanks to Demin)

The next step I'm going to do is change all of the fluids, the fun stuff. I just wanted to get through the carb cleanup first and get that out of the way. I'll take a look at the oil, never thought of that.
I'm looking forward to getting this bike running nice...it's really in good shape, and I got a good deal...it's actually my wife's bike.

Thanks for the advice!

IP Logged
mdurham
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Moscow, ID
Reply #8 - 01/22/08 at 12:14:26

Demin wrote on 01/20/08 at 17:37:36:
Dumb question but is the idle set high enough for colder weather?

That was my next step, maybe try and set the idle really hi so it'll stay running. It was doing this in October too when the weather was pretty nice. I pulled the plug when I had the carb off, it looked like it had been running rich, bu not that bad...but I don't really have any miles on it to to get a good indication.

IP Logged
mdurham
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Moscow, ID
Reply #9 - 01/22/08 at 12:29:40

[/quote]

Are you sure that you are using the choke correctly? [/quote]

Unfortunatley "I think" I have it right, I just went and checked out the service manual. I can start the engine when it's cold, with the choke lever pushed all the way in. It's start up instantly and will idle real nice...untill it warms up, then it seems to flood out.

Maybe something is wrong with the float assembly, maybe in the off position, it's not actually off?  Is this possible?

Sorry for the barrage of posts.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #10 - 01/22/08 at 12:53:50

You have choke correct, in "off",  pull out to choke.

So.....  couple of questions.

1) Is the cap/plug over the low speed/idle mixture screw on or off?  The idea of this question is whether the low speed mixture has been set too rich or not.  Remember, with most bikes, the low speed , mid  and high speed mixtures are controlled by different things.  Giving it  throttle moves it to mid range....

2) When it dies out, can you smell a gas smell from the exhaust pipe?  I mean an un-burnt gas smell.....

3) If you can, is the spark plug wet when it dies out?  Sorry, I know it's a pain to get to the plug..... a lot of people feel the spark plug is your eyes into the engine.

4) Do you give it a little throttle to start the bike?   Idea here is that idle may be too low, and a habit of many people is to tweat the throttle a little when starting.  This would over-ride a low idle condition.  Also, a little note here, with an en-richening type choke, you have to keep your hands off the throttle when choked (I'm bad at this one....   Undecided  ).

5) Does it do it with the fuel petc.ock set to Prime?  

T-Mack

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 01/22/08 at 13:03:23

We just had a similar case of a guy taking out a screw to get a little more travel on the throttle.  

Did you remember to replace all of the screws?   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
mdurham
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Moscow, ID
Reply #12 - 01/22/08 at 17:24:13

T Mack 1 - FSO wrote on 01/22/08 at 12:53:50:
You have choke correct, in "off",  pull out to choke.

So.....  couple of questions.

1) Is the cap/plug over the low speed/idle mixture screw on or off?  The idea of this question is whether the low speed mixture has been set too rich or not.  Remember, with most bikes, the low speed , mid  and high speed mixtures are controlled by different things.  Giving it  throttle moves it to mid range....

2) When it dies out, can you smell a gas smell from the exhaust pipe?  I mean an un-burnt gas smell.....

3) If you can, is the spark plug wet when it dies out?  Sorry, I know it's a pain to get to the plug..... a lot of people feel the spark plug is your eyes into the engine.

4) Do you give it a little throttle to start the bike?   Idea here is that idle may be too low, and a habit of many people is to tweat the throttle a little when starting.  This would over-ride a low idle condition.  Also, a little note here, with an en-richening type choke, you have to keep your hands off the throttle when choked (I'm bad at this one....   Undecided  ).

5) Does it do it with the fuel petc.ock set to Prime?  

T-Mack

Great questions T-Mack,

My answer, unfortunatally to most of the is...I don't know.

1. The speed/idle mixture, capped...I'll have to do some reading on this. Is theis inside of the carb? You might have something here.

2. Can't really smell any gas when it dies.

3. Haven't pulled the plug just after it dies, but I did later and it was sort of dark, but it didn't have any time/miles on it to I feel got a good reading.
Boy, those Suzuki enginners where really thinking when they put the plug where they did, stupidist thing I'v ever seen...it should be easy to pull a plug and check it Angry

4. Petcock was on prime this weekend when I put the Carb back on, it didn't actually die, but I had to keep the throttle up to keep it running.

So, when it's cold...the choke should be pulled out...right??

Thanks!

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #13 - 01/23/08 at 03:15:04

mdurham wrote on 01/22/08 at 17:24:13:

Great questions T-Mack,

My answer, unfortunatally to most of the is...I don't know.

1. The speed/idle mixture, capped...I'll have to do some reading on this. Is theis inside of the carb? You might have something here.

2. Can't really smell any gas when it dies.

3. Haven't pulled the plug just after it dies, but I did later and it was sort of dark, but it didn't have any time/miles on it to I feel got a good reading.
Boy, those Suzuki enginners where really thinking when they put the plug where they did, stupidist thing I'v ever seen...it should be easy to pull a plug and check it Angry

4. Petcock was on prime this weekend when I put the Carb back on, it didn't actually die, but I had to keep the throttle up to keep it running.

So, when it's cold...the choke should be pulled out...right??

Thanks!

When it's cold, I need to pull choke out and after it starts push it in one notch then after a minute or two I can push all the way in.  

on # 1) : It's a little brass plug on right side of carb torwards engine side of carb.  It has a tiny hole in the center of it and may have a touch of paint on it.  The bikes are factory tuned lean to meet EPA numbers then the mixture screw gets pluged so we can't make it run correctly   Sad  .   Many people drill then out to adjust the screw.  I took a dremel and put a slot along side and then used a dental pick to pop it out.  I can now pu it back in if some law changes.

on # 4) : Hmmmmm  sounds like a simple Idle adjustment.  Try that before tearing anything else apart.  KIS (keep it simple....  no second S,   Wink )

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
mdurham
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Moscow, ID
Reply #14 - 01/27/08 at 16:11:27

T-Mack,

The speed/idle screw is not capped and has an adjustable screw. Just found it. Do you know off hand which way leans out the idle adjustment??

Hopefully getting closer to solving the problem.

Thanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:24:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb Problem?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.