Send Topic Print
650 Road Beast (Read 413 times)
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
650 Road Beast
01/27/08 at 09:37:36

I know a lot of folks don't think the 650  could make it as a road bike. Those of us that have done some long hauls on it beg to differ in that opinion. Once there's been a few comfort mods made the "little bike that can" will putt down the road just fine with a pretty good load on it. I've not tried the west coast mountains "yet" (they are in future plans), but fully loaded my bike had no trouble in the eastern version hills over the last couple summers on three long trips from MN to the far south east and back. I added a picture of the "Super-Bee" fully loaded (without my 180 lbs) on BikePics for any one to see what a working road beast looks like. Just scroll to the bottom for a look.

http://bikepics.com/members/jazzcarter/00savage/

Someday I might just figure out how to include a picture in these postings.

Jack

« Last Edit: 01/28/08 at 17:37:28 by Savage_Rob »  
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Re: 650 Road Beast
Reply #1 - 01/27/08 at 10:52:17

You need the whole URL ending with the picture file name  (xxx.jpg)

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 01/27/08 at 10:56:46

Thusly:

(do a quote to see the syntax)

WWW   IP Logged
SavageWahine
Serious Thumper

Aloha & Hang
Loose

Beautiful Kauai!
Reply #3 - 01/27/08 at 13:08:22

Jack_650 wrote on 01/27/08 at 09:37:36:
I know a lot of folks don't think the 650  could make it as a road bike. Those of us that have done some long hauls on it beg to differ in that opinion. Once there's been a few comfort mods made the "little bike that can" will putt down the road just fine with a pretty good load on it. I've not tried the west coast mountains "yet" (they are in future plans), but fully loaded my bike had no trouble in the eastern version hills over the last couple summers on three long trips from MN to the far south east and back. I added a picture of the "Super-Bee" fully loaded (without my 180 lbs) on BikePics for any one to see what a working road beast looks like. Just scroll to the bottom for a look.

http://bikepics.com/members/jazzcarter/00savage/

Someday I might just figure out how to include a picture in these postings.

Jack

Is that a new seat or is it a pad over the old one?
Looking at this photo make me want to hit the road!! Undecided

You take the blue pill the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.
You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.
  IP Logged
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Reply #4 - 01/27/08 at 13:12:16

Out on the road on my steel pony.   Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 01/27/08 at 14:49:29

That's a fully loaded Savage for sure, and a yellow 2000 which I really wanted instead of the green (it's grown on me anyway)...looks like a good ride.  Love the Superman tank too.

Sorry to see the tank decal missing though...just my opinion.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #6 - 01/27/08 at 15:07:38

hello i'm interested in the trailer hitch

* sluggo

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 01/27/08 at 18:00:12

Paladin. wrote on 01/27/08 at 10:56:46:

Snotta Savage tank.  Filler is pokin out on the left.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #8 - 01/27/08 at 19:43:31

sluggo wrote on 01/27/08 at 15:07:38:
.... i'm interested in the trailer hitch...
He wrote it up about a year or two ago.  I'd look it up but the I have partaken of the fruit of the vine and the forum is getting fuzzy....

WWW   IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #9 - 01/27/08 at 20:30:39

Paladin. wrote on 01/27/08 at 19:43:31:
sluggo wrote on 01/27/08 at 15:07:38:
.... i'm interested in the trailer hitch...
He wrote it up about a year or two ago.  I'd look it up but the I have partaken of the fruit of the vine and the forum is getting fuzzy....

same here, i guess i'll do a search.  

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #10 - 01/27/08 at 22:35:46

It's a V-Star saddle seat, a Harley Soft Tail 5 gallon one piece tank and, although the bike was yellow when I got it, this is a slightly different powder coated yellow. I got a good price on the job by taking one of their stock, in house colors that was really pretty close. That's why there's no decals. I designed one that I was going to get made to put on the front tank (a tire burning bumble bee) but even the big red "S" on the back tank wouldn't bend around the curve on the front one where I wanted to put it. So until I get around to making a stencil and spraying a design on it, it stays naked. I was thinking of just taking a Sharpie to notate every long ride I do with the mileage on it in random placement. Give it a rough-and-ready look.

I did do a write up on the hitch last summer. It comes apart for removal. And although I had the major stuff welded by a guy in western ND, it could be done plenty sturdy with just bolts. If you look at the pix closely I think it's pretty much self explanatory if a guy wanted to do one himself. It's built to come apart to keep it simple in construction. The left side goes right up and is bolted with a U-bolt to the top shock mount. The right side does the same but has to have a little dog leg in the front to fit in because the two shocks have slightly different placement. The ball cross-piece plate across the back can be removed for tire removal even though it only takes about five minutes to take the whole thing off. The way it was designed there are only two extra holes drilled through the fender and side rail - one on each side. The hardest part would be the cutting of the 1/4' steel plate into the shapes. As you can tell from the pictures the welder is an artist.

Jack

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #11 - 01/27/08 at 22:44:00

Oh yeah, thanks Paladin for the info on the picture inserting. Never even thought to simply look at the code to see how it was done. In trying to make it complex I forgot the golden rule:   K.I.S.S.

Jack

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 01/28/08 at 04:49:15

Oops.  Didn't look close enough.  Wasn't paying attention.  Sorry.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #13 - 01/28/08 at 20:44:26

Hi Jack

I was "Searching" for information on 110/80R-19 front tires and came accross one of your post.  What GRABED my attention was the 5 gal. gas tank.  If you don't mind sharring the information, did it take much modifing to make it fit?  

Thanks M M Ranch

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #14 - 01/29/08 at 08:39:38

I did write up the tank mod a couple years back. It wasn't too hard a job really. You do have to cut the two steel pegs that hold the front of the stock tank off and drill a hole through the triangle brace plate for the bolt to hold the front of the Harley tank mount. And move the horn and electronic thingie thats attached to the spark plug wire. Oh yeah, you ned to re-route the wiring under the tank a bit and come up with another speedometer solution. and of course the back of the tank sits higher than stock due to the frame width so you need to either come up with another way to mount the front of the seat or do what I did, which was to raise the whole seat a couple inches. I never tried this with the stock seat and the V-Star seat is a bit longer than the original so I had already made adjustments anyway.

Like I said, I've written all the changes to my bike on here and I'm pretty sure they can be found on here somewhere. From reading the above it sounds harder than it really was. This is my first bike ever and I just jumped in with incentive from this site and the knowledge that it was just money, blood, sweat and "no you can't bring that into the house to work on it" to contend with.

Jack

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:28:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 650 Road Beast

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.