Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spark Plug and Highway pegs (Read 248 times)
azsavagerider
YaBB Newbies

arizona
Spark Plug and Highway pegs
01/12/08 at 17:39:35

I see that a lot of people have put in a Iridium plug in the S40/Savage/LS650 whatever.  I want to know by changing out the factory plug, which I believe is a NGK or something like that, will the bike gain any more acceleration or performance of any kind?

Also, I have been searching long and hard on how to install Highway Pegs on the S40 2005.  Do I have to have the Engine Guards to do it?  I have searched the forum with no success.  How do I get these?

Also, People talk about drilling out the airbox cover or removing it.  I installed a drop in K&N filter and then just took off the airbox door by taking it out of the clips that are used to open it.  When I did this, the bike would not run hardly at all and kept dying.  Did I do what you guys are talking about?  If not, what do you mean by drilling out or removing the air box cover?

I have been reading this forum for over two years now and just decided to post a couple of questions.  I have never seen a group with soo much knowledge as there is here.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff.

Live life without regrets because at one time that is what you wanted.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Spark Plug and Highway pegs
Reply #1 - 01/12/08 at 21:44:36

Any time you change anything in the intake or exhaust you will have to retune the bike.  I suggest you work in very small reversable changes before you get so deep over your head that the only way out is professional help.

Your first change, K&N filter.  Did the performance of the bike get better or worse?  More backfires or less?

What you need is a full set of jets so you can get the fuel mixture back to normal after your change.

Taking the door off is a big change, I don't think you're ready for it.

Read up on changing the jets, desnorkle and muffler change.  Once you have a basic understanding of what happens then you're ready to make more changes.

Have fun bud.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
azsavagerider
YaBB Newbies

arizona
Reply #2 - 01/13/08 at 12:39:17

Thanks for the advice.  I have taken out the white spacer and drilled out the brass plug and adjusted the air/fuel ration to match the new K&N filter.  I have not done any rejetting.

With the filter and spacer mod and screw adjusted, the bike no longer starves for gas and quits accelerating at around 85mph.  In fact it keeps pulling up to 90-95.  Backfiring is considerably less to non-existent.  

I have not re-jetted as I did not think that was necessar with just a new air filter.

Let me know.  Thanks,

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 01/13/08 at 13:32:19

It sounds like you may not have to re-jet since your bike seems to be running almost perfect after the spacer and pilot adjustment. How far did you have to turn out the pilot screw?

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
azsavagerider
YaBB Newbies

arizona
Reply #4 - 01/13/08 at 16:17:54

two turns out from all the way in

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #5 - 01/13/08 at 18:09:58

Then it sounds like to me personally, that no re-jet is required. Of course there are folks here who know more about that aspect of this bike than I do and could tell you more definitively whether or not a re-jet is needed.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #6 - 01/14/08 at 00:04:33

Iridium should give better starting,acceleration etc. I have one in KLX (which has a weak coil from factory),it helps.
Clive W  Smiley

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 01/14/08 at 04:26:50

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 01/13/08 at 18:09:58:
Then it sounds like to me personally, that no re-jet is required. Of course there are folks here who know more about that aspect of this bike than I do and could tell you more definitively whether or not a re-jet is needed.

I would like to add just a little at this point.  
You have made a filter change.
You retuned the pilot air screw which is now at 2 turns out and you have little to no backfiring.  This is a very good start and takes care of the LOW THROTTLE RANGE.
You removed the white spacer, and though not mentioned I assume that the engine is running well in response to that.  That takes care of the MID THROTTLE RANGE.

At this point nothing has been done for the HIGH THROTTLE RANGE, which is controlled by the main jet.  I would suggest that you check your main jet to see what size you have there now and try the next size up.  If the performance suffers in the 3/4 to full throttle range then go back down to what you had.  If you get a performance boost then your engine will be running better ... and cooler, thanks to the increase in fuel to air ratio.  If it does perform better then you could try the next  size main jet and see what that does.  Keep going up until you get a performance drop, then back down to the previous jet, which will be the best size for your engine in its current configuration.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Reply #8 - 01/14/08 at 18:14:37

I was hoping you would chime in here Lancer.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/14/08 at 20:32:50

Concerning the spark plug question, There was a program on Public Broadcasting TV that exposed the false spark plug  claims made by the various manufacturers.  Slow motion photography was used to disprove the claims.  Example:  Multi electrode plugs never discharge more than 1 spark at a time and only to 1 electrode.  Split electrode plugs do not fire to both electrodes simultaneously nor does the spark pass up through the middle of the split electrode.  Some exotic metal plugs wear longer depending on the metal, but their difference in conductivity versus steel plugs is meaningless when thousands of volts are transmitted.  Exotic metals are only useful for conductivity when micro-volts are involved.  The conclusion was to simply change your plugs frequently for best results.  By the by, the PBC expose on engine oil additives was even more illuminating.

IP Logged
vtail

life's short, ride
fast

Portland,OR
Reply #10 - 01/16/08 at 12:19:44

Kuryakyn 7980 longhorn offset, very comfortable,gotten new on e-bay Smiley

'07, White spacer REMOVED, 152,5 main jet, K&N drop-in filter, Mac exh, Sigma 906, ENM PT15B2 tach, factory s bags, shield, backrest/lug rack, crashbar, Kuryakyn 7980 ext hwy pegs,412-4233C+'09 C50T
  IP Logged
Warric
YaBB Newbies

Rock On

New Zealand
Reply #11 - 01/16/08 at 18:44:15

vtail

Very nice! Im 6' 5", something like what your showing is just what I need.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 00:43:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spark Plug and Highway pegs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.