Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Flooding when accelerating past throttle stop (Read 667 times)
Warric
YaBB Newbies

Rock On

New Zealand
Flooding when accelerating past throttle stop
01/10/08 at 10:22:24

Morning all. I ride an 03 LS650, and while tinkering the other nite I altered the throttle stop so that I could open it right up. Instead of getting more top end like I had hoped, the bike floods & starts to die. Is this normal & should the throttle stop be returned? Thanks

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Flooding when accelerating past throttle stop
Reply #1 - 01/10/08 at 10:28:27

Well?  How do I answer that?  Hmmm.

If you do something and it doesn't work, what should you do?

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #2 - 01/10/08 at 10:36:04

Like Greg says, put it back first .  Then think about it.

Next,  is it really flooding (wet plug?) or are you getting too much air which will also make it go blah???????

BTW,  since I don't have books here at work, where is the throttle stop adjusted......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Warric
YaBB Newbies

Rock On

New Zealand
Reply #3 - 01/10/08 at 11:05:28

I do not know, Im not a mechanic. Forget I asked ill put it back. Cheer

WWW   IP Logged
crimsonblaspheme
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 01/10/08 at 12:16:58

As I've found the rebel forum more helpful concerning this bike than most of the people here I will not hesitate to say "savage greg, what the hell is your problem? were you abused as a child? Do you have a terminal illness? Or did your mother just never teach you how to be polite? Stop being such a sarcastic not a very nice person. The point of forums is to exchange information. If you dont want to actually help someone you can refer them to the tech pages or prefereably just shut the crappity smack up" Since I don't imagine I'll be welcome anymore I want to sincerely thank those who were polite and helpful. As for you greg, i wish terrible things on you and If I knew where you lived I'd push your bike over a cliff...maybe with you on it.

IP Logged
crimsonblaspheme
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/10/08 at 12:31:45

just be aware I used and am more fond of "stronger" language in your case greg. I assumed my post would just be removed. I didnt know the care bears came around and removed all the profanity. Just be really receptive, I'm thinking ALOT of profanity your way.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 01/10/08 at 12:53:49

Are you going to follow greg all over this site and sh!t all over him every chance you get?

Why don't you 2 get yourself a room.

WWW   IP Logged
crimsonblaspheme
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 01/10/08 at 13:24:28

only when he makes a smart alec comment to someone who's actually looking for advice. He could've just said "look at the tech pages" but he wanted to be a d1ck so...But don't worry, this forum is practically useless. The tech pages are nice, but forum itself has thus far been a waste of my time so you wont be hearing from me much. Although I'm sure you'll still get all of greg's razor sharp wit which you seem to enjoy, so it's all good.

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 01/10/08 at 13:55:39

wow... Shocked

Back to the thread,,,,,,,,,

So..... where is the throttle stop adjuster?

What # on pict attached

(2001 carb which should be same as 03)

Click on file name here to get blow-up

CARB.jpg

---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Warric
YaBB Newbies

Rock On

New Zealand
Reply #9 - 01/10/08 at 14:52:08

Hi, #37. Part of the throttle cable bracket (think thats what its called)

Thanks  Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
govmule84

Scooter Trash

Central Missouri
Reply #10 - 01/10/08 at 15:39:31

Ahh, Jeez.  Put some tougher skin on.  There is NO REASON to yank a throttle stop...how in the Good Lord's name would that help performance?!

He was just telling him to put it back how it was and leave his paws off it.  Most of the crazy stuff we've done to our bikes we've figured out on our own...not without some help, but little, to say the least.

Toughen up.

Ninety percent of my money went to bikes, broads, and booze. The rest I wasted.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #11 - 01/10/08 at 15:42:17

Hmmmm...... Part microfische calls it a screw.

At home now and the Fact Serv man doesn't say a thing about it (big surprise........not)

Looked at my '01,  Yea it stops the throttle movement.  Yea, with the screw in the throttle doesn't go a full 90 degrees (maybe 85 or 88).  So, your thinking is sort of sound, full 90 would give a bit more "zoom".    What did you do to modify it?  On mine, take the screw out and throttle shaft goes a bunch of degree's past 90 degree of movemnt which is no good.  Did you get a second screw and cut-off the head (make a stud out of it) to get that tiny bit more???

Big question is, with screw in, and WOT is the throttle plate full open (sorry, I have factory Airbox on and its a pain to take carb off )?  Next question is,  if with this mod you can get the plate at max open,  is main jet modified to give that little more fuel you will need?  

---
  IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #12 - 01/10/08 at 15:43:38

I don't think that is the throttle stop it looks like it is the screw that holds the bracket.  I am only able to look at the diagram at the moment. Are any of our carb experts around? They have  more knowledge. But first of all put it back to where it was to stop the leak and then research it a bit more.  As a lot of others will say  "Consider buying the Clymers manual"  For $30 odd you will get a ton of knowledge

Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #13 - 01/10/08 at 15:46:11

I agree with Greg.. If you don;t know what you're doing, don't dork with it in the first place...........  Ignore that advice and you get what you deserve.

It is a PURELY MECHANICAL engine.  Other than the solid state spark control, the intake timing, exhaust timing, air/fuel ratios are all mechanically controlled.  Make just ONE change to any part of that system (from intake to exhaust) and YOU... yes YOU, the one with the screwdriver in hand, better be prepared to RE-TUNE the engine to accomodate the change.  

Now, as for the original experiment?  # 37 is the throttle stop bracket support screw.  Why on earth would you every remove that?

Without the throttle stop, you are allowing the throttle body to fully close.  That's going to result in an over rich idle circuit.  Snap the throttle and it's going to sputter and cough until the engine gets enough O2 to compensate.

Seriously, just put it back and leave it alone.  If you want to tinker, buy a manual....  Or at least ASK BEFORE you take a wrench to it......

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 01/10/08 at 15:55:08

verslagen1 wrote on 01/10/08 at 12:53:49:
Are you going to follow greg all over this site and sh!t all over him every chance you get?

Why don't you 2 get yourself a room.

What?  Has he been saying bad stuff?

And I should worry about someone named Crimsonblaspheme?  Does sounds like he's a little red in the face, though.  Maybe he'll leave because he has no sense of humor and rides a Rebel anyway.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:22:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Flooding when accelerating past throttle stop

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.