Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Flooding when accelerating past throttle stop (Read 667 times)
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Flooding when accelerating past throttle stop
Reply #15 - 01/10/08 at 16:03:31

All, but one of you guys are very right.  As I was merely trying to teach a lesson in making Warric think about what he did.  He should just put it back and start over.  It is the only thing to do when you are modifying things in a nonstandard way.

And as a few have said.  Get a manual, too.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 01/10/08 at 16:08:44

crimsonblaspheme wrote on 01/10/08 at 12:16:58:
As I've found the rebel forum more helpful concerning this bike than most of the people here I will not hesitate to say "savage greg, what the hell is your problem? were you abused as a child? Do you have a terminal illness? Or did your mother just never teach you how to be polite? Stop being such a sarcastic not a very nice person. The point of forums is to exchange information. If you dont want to actually help someone you can refer them to the tech pages or prefereably just shut the crappity smack up" Since I don't imagine I'll be welcome anymore I want to sincerely thank those who were polite and helpful. As for you greg, i wish terrible things on you and If I knew where you lived I'd push your bike over a cliff...maybe with you on it.

Incidentally, none of exist at your beckon call to answer your questions.  You came in here and said you looked around and "didn't find what you wanted".  Too bad.  We aren't here to hold your hand and help you buy a bike, either.  You have one and you need to know what to look for?  

You ask a dumb question, get a dumb answer, and you are surprised?

Change your name.  It's stupid.

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #17 - 01/10/08 at 16:13:14

Back to the ?.could it be removing that screw also opened up an airway,if it was drilled,and tapped all the way through the body? Smiley

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
Warric
YaBB Newbies

Rock On

New Zealand
Reply #18 - 01/10/08 at 16:16:32

Thanks to those that have been of help. For those that know everything Iv returned the throttle stop. For those that have forgotten, "You dont know unless you try"

WWW   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #19 - 01/10/08 at 16:22:45

Is it running ok now?If it's more power you're after do a muffler change,and jet accordingly.Do the white spacer mod.Punch them up in the search.Not trying to be short with you,just alot of info to read on the subjects.You'll be suprised at what difference these mods make. Shocked

IP Logged
SteveRocket1

A day without riding
is like a day
without beer.

California
Reply #20 - 01/10/08 at 16:46:04

I echo what Denim says , the standard mods Muffler, air filter and Jets if needed seemed to give me about 10% more go
Steve

'87 Savage but now with a Supertrapp muffler with 8 disks and competition end cap, TKat Fork brace, oldfeller airfilter, Z Bars, Turn Signal bleeper,Rather Loud Horn. and cousin Bonnie too..
  IP Logged
Warric
YaBB Newbies

Rock On

New Zealand
Reply #21 - 01/10/08 at 17:09:54

Thanks guys. Yep iv just been quoted NZ$700 j exhaust sent out from USA. The same guy is getting back to me with some bigger jet options.

I think of read just about every thread in the Tech area, & just about every thread regarding carbies but theres been no mention of the throttle stop screw that i could find. Its put back now and bike is back to running the same.

The repair/owners manual seems bloody hard to find here, but Im still looking.

Cheers

WWW   IP Logged
Warric
YaBB Newbies

Rock On

New Zealand
Reply #22 - 01/10/08 at 17:11:20

sorry that was supposed to read Jardine slash cut muffler from USA

WWW   IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #23 - 01/10/08 at 17:16:52

I think that is just a mounting screw for the bracket,I went out,and looked at mine.You are right though it does stop the throttle.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #24 - 01/10/08 at 17:58:50

Warric wrote on 01/10/08 at 17:09:54:
Thanks guys. Yep iv just been quoted NZ$700 j exhaust sent out from USA. The same guy is getting back to me with some bigger jet options.

I think of read just about every thread in the Tech area, & just about every thread regarding carbies but theres been no mention of the throttle stop screw that i could find. Its put back now and bike is back to running the same.
can purchase a clymers manual on line, i got the ssm and looked at the pic of the carb the screw youre talkin about isnt numbered,the idle adjust screw w/ spring is called throttle stop and it shows 2 # 18s  one is the main jet the other is the arm the cable hooks to that opens the throttle plate..clymers has some errors also think known ones are listed in the tech section..

The repair/owners manual seems bloody hard to find here, but Im still looking.

Cheers

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 01/10/08 at 17:59:45

Warric wrote on 01/10/08 at 16:16:32:
Thanks to those that have been of help. For those that know everything Iv returned the throttle stop. For those that have forgotten, "You dont know unless you try"

Warric you rock, you tried something, you told us what happened, you fixed it.  I think we all learned something.

To get back to the hijack... Red, How did you help?  Not at all, you're guilty of your own outrage.

WWW   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #26 - 01/10/08 at 18:00:26

^^ what am i doing wrong for quotes to appear like that???

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #27 - 01/10/08 at 18:27:00

Demin wrote on 01/10/08 at 16:13:14:
Back to the ?.could it be removing that screw also opened up an airway,if it was drilled,and tapped all the way through the body? Smiley

Took mine out to check to see it he was getting air.   Small screwdriver stops/bottoms out.  Still think it might be too much air, not fuel.

Anyone have a carb on the shelf to look at throttle plate travel?

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
skrapiron -FSO
Serious Thumper

Instant Human....
Just add coffee..

Pittsburgh, Pa
Reply #28 - 01/10/08 at 19:20:30

I understand the experiment.  Remove the bottom mounting screw and rotate the throttle stop.  The idea behind it is, if the throttle is allowed more space to 'open', it should provide more power.

The problem is, by rotating the throttle stop, you are changing the position of the throttle plate in the throat of the carb.  Rotate it clockwise and you close the carb off completely.  Rotate it counter clockwise and you open the throttle body too much.  

From what I can guess, if you did that, you were either rich (getting too much gas) you were lean. (too little gas for the ammount of air being sucked in) wicked lean.

If you feel like doing the experiment again, first pull off your intake hose from the carb.  Remove the bottom screw and rotate the throttle stop.  The observe what it does to the position of the throttle body.  That will tell you what direction you were headed.  Closed off and you were rich, open it up and you were lean.

Like I said before, any changes you make will have to be compensated for.  If do the experiment and you find that you made it too rich, then you'd have to minimize your pilot circuit and adjust your air/fuel mix.  If you made it too lean, then you'd have to up-jet to get more gas in.  (That's not always a bad thing.  More air plus more gas means more power!)

BUT tuning the engine is just as much art as it is science.  A good mechanic can listen to it and tell you if it's in tune or not.  That comes from experience.  Years of experience.  You can't simply throw on a fart can and a performance exhaust and expect an instant 100 horse power.  (I feel sorry for the fast&the furious crowd that thinks so)  Any change you make, will require you to retune the engine to compensate.  That can be as simple as turning the A/F mixture knob a 1/4 turn or so.  But it needs to be done to keep the engine in the best state of performance.

I'm not faulting you for trying.  At least you had the guts to ask for help when you got stuck....

Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.
  IP Logged
viper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #29 - 01/10/08 at 19:28:42

If the stop screw is removed and this allows the thottle blade to go beond 90 deg. the air entering tht venturi area will tumble and not allow fuel to correctly mix with the air. Thottle blades are designed to open in one direction and have no advantage past WOT(wide open thottle) in fact fuel flow drops of after 90 deg. as blade starts to close at90.1 deg. Most thottle blades on smaller engines are not pivioted on the center of the blade. This is used to cause a low pressure area closer to the fuel ports for a quicker mix in a short run to the cylinder. If you try something you think will work to your advantage and it dosn't just put it back the way it was You Don't Know Till You Try.
It worked for Frankenstine.
Ride on
Viper

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:31:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Flooding when accelerating past throttle stop

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.