Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Luggage option for the Savage (Read 2531 times)
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Re: Luggage option for the Savage
Reply #75 - 02/02/08 at 20:42:58

Paladin. wrote on 02/02/08 at 15:34:03:
Tail bag looks very handy.  Looks like the hold down strap unsnaps from the bottom to snap on the top as a carry strap.

Actually it comes with both a shoulder carry strap and a handle to clip on the D rings on top!

It's well made and looks like it will hold up to the sort of abuse I will give it.

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
jk
Ex Member

Reply #76 - 02/08/08 at 18:52:22

I got the cans mounted. More or less. The mounts are done, but I still need to pull them off and sandblast the whole thing yet...

It's a lot stouter than it looks in the pictures.

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #77 - 02/08/08 at 20:25:15

I love the look! It says "I have things and I'm going places" Smiley

So, you have them mounted to your swing arm....you may not want to put all your eggs in those crates, unlesse you want them scrambled. Or you could pour gin and vermouth in them, and have a nice, shaken, martini when you arive at the partySmiley

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
jk
Ex Member

Reply #78 - 02/09/08 at 04:58:29

All I plan on putting in there are some clothes for my trip down to around Texas this May  Cheesy I may or may not leave the cans on there atfterwards. I had come up with a way of mounting them to the frame but it was way too involved for the limited hardware I've got in my garage.

I need a welder...

IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Reply #79 - 02/09/08 at 06:53:14

jkhulon73 wrote on 02/09/08 at 04:58:29:
All I plan on putting in there are some clothes for my trip down to around Texas this May  Cheesy

I need a welder...

Brilliant! On your way back, just add some water and 1/4  cup of laundry detergent and your clothes will be clean by the time you get back homeSmiley

Seriously, I do like the mounting, and yes, there would be cargo type constraints (no eggs, fine china or explosives) - but fer sure  clothes, spares, bottled water, 10 lb bag  of Skittles.....

I'll be spending the day looking at my swing arm to see if I can duplicate your success. I also need a welder - I have a the tool known as a welder, but I suck at welding; the welder I need is some dude who actually knows what they're doing.

I noiced  in your photo there is no muffler, I imagine the  cans would block or bump the stock muffler - what do you do with exaust with this setup?

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #80 - 02/09/08 at 08:32:46

Is that thru bolted or just tacked on?

I'd recommend thru bolting and going up a size or two.

Fatigue stress loves to attack welds.

And really, wouldn't recommend attaching it to the swing arm anyway.  As it will increase your unsprung weight and bumps will bite harder.

WWW   IP Logged
jk
Ex Member

Reply #81 - 02/09/08 at 08:44:00

verslagen1 wrote on 02/09/08 at 08:32:46:
Is that thru bolted or just tacked on?

I'd recommend thru bolting and going up a size or two.

Fatigue stress loves to attack welds.

And really, wouldn't recommend attaching it to the swing arm anyway.  As it will increase your unsprung weight and bumps will bite harder.

It's bolted through the holes for the passenger foot pegs that I'm still trying to sell  Wink I used a 3/8 threaded rod, inserted in a pretty stout steel tube, with nuts and lock washers on each end. (Or it will rather, I've just got them half-@ssed right now since I need to take 'em off to paint)

The welding I wanted to do would have involved building a frame that would have mounted to the holes where the stock fender went.

I suppose I could just take it back to stock on the rear end and get some traditional saddle bags, but where's the fun in that?  Cheesy

I was considering making it a hardtail and putting a sprung seat on it... But that's just a musing right now, no real consideration.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #82 - 02/09/08 at 10:26:30

You need to get all bending away from the threads, solid shaft should engage both ends of the supporting hole.  I know it's probably hard to do but much less chance of the bolt snaping in 2 thru the straight section then thru the threads.  If you can bolt thru and put the threads on the outside of the box would be the best situation.  Second best is threads at connection with the box and good top support to keep box from flexing outward.  The last thing you want is to have to go back pick up all your laundry, and put the washer back to together with all the hogs and biker babes watching.  "doin' your laundry sweetie?"  But on the bright side of it, hang a sign on the back 'bra's and tops washed for free while we ride!'   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
viper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #83 - 02/10/08 at 06:18:38

Just a note I recived an email from JCW. they have a good sized bag on sale about 20x14x? with a frame which they say folds unit comes with handles an wheels. It may fasten to sissybar. Mite be worth a look
Ride on
Viper

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #84 - 02/10/08 at 07:35:20

My American Tourister iLite carry-on (with wheels and collasping handle)  is 21" x 14.5" x 8" and attaches to the sissybar.

You can attach just about anything to the Savage. 

WWW   IP Logged
Sandy Koocanusa
Serious Thumper

Don't blame me.
 I didn't vote
for him.

Bigfork, MT
Reply #85 - 04/27/08 at 18:10:59

Having read this thread through, I was inspired.  Lacking Paladin's creative genius and ability to work with metal, I went with the cooler idea.  I went to Walmart and started looking around, and here's what I came up with:

5 gallon Igloo cooler...                  $18.88
Black Nylon stuff bag...                 $3.96
2 light duty lashing straps...           $6.62
Flat black spray paint for lid...       $0.96  (I hope this sticks, long-term)

It makes a great back rest, which has really helped me deal with the wind pressure on my chest.  I think I will stuff some kind of pad in the front, as the vibration through that hard plastic makes my back itch.  

Also, I took all the handles and cupholders and junk off the water cooler right there in the Walmart parking lot so I could bag it up and carry it home (take along a phillips).  They had a similar cooler with a screw-on lid, but the handles were molded into the shell.  The bag, when drawn tight, holds the lid on securely.

Thanks to all for the great idea.  I hope the photos will help alleviate any trepidation other newbies like me have about adding to their Savage.  It was easy, extremely inexpensive compared to factory-made motorcycle luggage that I looked at, and (I think) more versatile.  When removed from the bike and separated into its original components, I now have multiple useful items instead of one fancy trunk.  A laundry bag, water cooler, and tie-down straps.

That's enough out of me.

-Jason

Savage: (adj)1. Wild 2. Uncivilized : Primitive 3. Ferocious 4. Cruel or merciless : Brutal --- Webster's. (n.) 1. A motorcycle named for its seat.--- Sandy's unabridged
jlmorton@centurytel.net jlmorton@centurytel.net   IP Logged
Bear_Rider

Reply #86 - 04/28/08 at 14:17:27

I read another article somewhere about someone who had done a similar thing, using a cooler with the screw-on lid. He ended up putting some sort of lock on the lid to keep it from unscrewing in flight. You might give that some thought.

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #87 - 04/28/08 at 14:50:19

that cooler idea is exactly what i was looking for. now i'm gonna have to run to wal mart. i wonder how to mount it without a backrest?

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #88 - 07/14/08 at 09:06:59

Wouldnt that be unsprung weight mounted to the swingarm? Is that approach likely to cause cracks in the swingarm? The recent Sidecar Experiences showed a swingarm with some reinforcements & there was mention of cracking from the passenger peg mount area. Maybe some reinforcement prior would be a good move, here, too..You guys decide, I dunno.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:19:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Luggage option for the Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.