Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Help needed (Read 191 times)
blacksheep23

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Help needed
07/10/08 at 19:23:43

I bought my bike in 2006.Haven't rode in a yr or so.For some reason I forgot to disconnect the battery and now the battery is flat.I tried recharging it today with a battery charger.Put it back in the bike there's no power.What shld I do?Does this mean I have to replaced the battery.The bike only has 408 miles on it.

IP Logged
savage2k
Ex Member

Re: Help needed
Reply #1 - 07/10/08 at 19:30:00

blacksheep23 wrote on 07/10/08 at 19:23:43:
I bought my bike in 2006.Haven't rode in a yr or so.For some reason I forgot to disconnect the battery and now the battery is flat.I tried recharging it today with a battery charger.Put it back in the bike there's no power.What shld I do?Does this mean I have to replaced the battery.The bike only has 408 miles on it.

Probably.......A battery can go bad after sitting 1/4 of that time without being charged......Most likely, even if it takes a charge, it will leave you stranded in the near future.....I would get a new one.

Good luck, and let us know

IP Logged
Jay
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Reply #2 - 07/10/08 at 19:59:12

Yep, you need a new battery.

You're invisible and naked.
Ride safe,
Jay
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #3 - 07/11/08 at 10:02:18

Check the fuses first..........

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
blacksheep23

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/11/08 at 13:38:36

Allright here's the update.Bought a new battery.They told me to charge it up for 4 hrs and Im good to go.I did that.Installed it in the bike.Still the same problem.Any idea?
I charge it with the black one going negative and red positve.Ain't that right?

IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #5 - 07/11/08 at 13:46:39

You're right.Check fuses.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
blacksheep23

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/11/08 at 14:13:53

how do I do that?

IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #7 - 07/11/08 at 14:36:01

Remove the seat from your bike... There are 2 10mm bolts, 1 on each side of the seat and then the hex bolt at the back of the seat into the fender.

Look along the right side (if you would be sitting on the bike) near the center of where the seat would be, and you'll see a set of wires that run into a little black box with a lid on it. Pop that lid and you'll see 2 20A fuses (I think they are 20's... they're yellow)...

Check and make sure they're not blown.

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 07/11/08 at 14:41:41

You can get them off with out removing seat ,but its a little harder

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
blacksheep23

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/11/08 at 18:41:54

is it the black looking thing that I see when I removed the negative terminal?Any pics of that?

IP Logged
blacksheep23

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/13/08 at 17:41:29

Finally got it runnin!!It turned out to be the fuse.Replaced that.Install my Jardine muffler slip on that have been sitting for 2 yrs.Now I need to change the oil.Any idea how to remove the drain bolt?I stripped it bad and can't take it out....

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 07/13/08 at 17:46:25

How did you strip it?

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 07/14/08 at 05:58:13

There are ways to dress up rounded off shoulders. Its gonna be hard where that thing is. Before I start filing to try to get a decent 6 sided head, I try to use a punch & drive the metal back where it came from. IF you can get the outside edges of the flats to go back where they belong & get a good 6 sided box end on it, then build a spacer to jam in there that will hold the wrench square on it while you spank down on the wrench. I think its easier & more likely to succeed by hitting it several times than just pushing down. Besides, you get to keep an eye on it & see if its stripping  before you make a big mess. I have gone so far as to cut feeler gauges to shim wrenches so as to avoid rounding a bolt off in a particularly hard to work on spot. An ounce of prevention truly is more valuable than a pound of cure.

This is a location that demands good tools, used correctly. Even the best wrench, if not held squarely on the bolt, will mess things up. A crappy wrench, held squarely, may well mess things up. I wouldnt be afraid to use a crescent here, BUt, I would make sure I had the 2 sides shaped up nicely & I would use some needle nose visegrips to tighten the crescent onto the head of the drainplug, then build whatever is necessary to keep that wrench square & straight in there IF its acting like it would lean or twist & mess up the drainplug more. But, if you straighten the head up nicely, it should stay where it needs to be. If you can get the bike up a bit, it would make it easier on you. Is there a place to hoist it up or a ramp to set the front wheel on? I get uncomfortable real quick, wrenching on one that might fall, so I tie handlebars to things so it cant fall over.Again, Prevention Vs. Cure.
Remember, with the wrench on the drainplug, & the wrench pointed out, toward the front tire, smack down on it, to loosen the plug.
Get a new plug, with a magnet in it. & Or, do Old Fellers magnet in the oilfilter cavity mod. 2 magnets couldnt be a bad idea.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #13 - 07/14/08 at 08:56:27

Did you use Metric wrenches???????

14 mm or 17 mm depending on the year.  A 9/16" inch wrench sort fits on a 14 mm bolt but you might strip it.....

Next.....  only you know your mechanicl abilities.  There is a certain point in time that you must decide whether it's time to get a professional involved.

NOTE TO ALL: Auto-Zone has metric oil fill plugs.  I got one (has a rubber washer) that works nicely.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
SimonTuffGuy
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

i like to thump...
;)

Central PA
Reply #14 - 07/14/08 at 09:08:06

Take it to the dealers and let them get the bolt out... I'm sure they'll have an extra "good one" to replace it with too. Wink

Simon
Pimptiva.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:18:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help needed

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.